GLBT markets, market resources, leads

writernow

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone have stories--success or otherwise--on where to sell GLBT-themed articles, stories, fiction?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Could you narrow it down to a type of writing?

I write, almost exclusively (outside of my non-fiction) gay romance and high fantasy with gay protagonists and in the small press there are a lot of markets. I have never submitted to a large commercial press in this area.

Maxinquaye

That cheeky buggerer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
maxoneverything.wordpress.com
It also depends on what side of the pond you're on. Unfortunately, outside literary magazines there's few big markets in the UK. You almost need to be able to reach mass market appeal for say GLBT-novels. Short stories and novellas can be sold, to magazines and such. Chroma comes to mind.

I don't know the small presses, however. Maybe it's better there, in the UK.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
It also depends on what side of the pond you're on. Unfortunately, outside literary magazines there's few big markets in the UK. You almost need to be able to reach mass market appeal for say GLBT-novels. Short stories and novellas can be sold, to magazines and such. Chroma comes to mind.

I don't know the small presses, however. Maybe it's better there, in the UK.

Most SF/F/H small press markets in the UK (vested interest alert: I assistant-edit one) don't have a problem with LGBT themes as far as I know. Same with the bigger markets like Interzone and Postscripts. How many such stories they actually publish is another question, though.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just thought I'd throw this out there: AgentQuery has a category for "Gay & Lesbian" under both Fiction and Non-fiction categories. Meaning that you can search for agents who want to rep LGBT fiction/nonfiction specifically.

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
For short fiction: Expanded Horizons and Strange Horizons (no relation) for SF/F. I swear I've seen a pretty good list of markets somewhere but I haven't been able to find it again for the life of me. Also you can use www.duotrope.com and select GLBT as your theme.

Nicole

Susan Lanigan

Registered
Reaction score
There is a website called Publishing Triangle that has a lot of resources for GLBT fiction. Can't remember the exact URL but I think googling it should bring it up.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
I publish semi-regularly in Curve. The pay is fair to middling, and the organization seems a hybrid of controlling and chaotic.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Link, please, Unimportant? (If it's already in your sig, that's cool - just trying to clarify.)

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Unimportant

No COVID yet. Still masking.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it okay to post calls for submissions here?

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If I were you, Unimportant, I'd post them in the Paying Markets or Non-Paying Markets section, and post a link to them here. Many of us who write GLBT characters are not regulars at this board, but would see it there.

Maryn, who dabbles

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
Another speculative one... Crossed Genres did a LBGT theme issue last year (each month is a different theme), so I'm sure they'd be open to stories with those elements at other times.

(Expanded Horizons has always worried me, as their rules look very restrictive, but maybe that's just me).

I've had two stories in EH, and a gay author I know had one published there recently. They like stories with main characters that aren't straight white males.

They're pretty user-friendly - they buy only the right to publish on their website and no other, and they accept reprints. And though they don't pay a lot (semi-pro rates), they pay promptly.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
My worry was really this bit:

"If you doubt your story is a good match for our magazine, you are probably right, and you should not send the story to us because it will be summarily rejected."

Most magazines say the opposite - send it and let us decide. Given that some of their restrictions make me ask more questions than they answer, I'm not really sure if anything I write is a good fit.

I'll wildly conjecture here for a moment: given the nature of EH's fiction (stuff that can be inherantly controversial), they have probably had to put up with a lot of cr*p. This has likely made them a bit cranky and unwilling to suffer fools patiently. However, you can always read a few issues and see if the kinds of stories they write are similar to yours. Also, they have a pretty quick turnaround, so even if they do reject your story for whatever reason, it's not a lot of skin off your back.

MumblingSage

Inarticulate Herb
Registered
Reaction score
Could you narrow it down to a type of writing?

I write, almost exclusively (outside of my non-fiction) gay romance and high fantasy with gay protagonists and in the small press there are a lot of markets. I have never submitted to a large commercial press in this area.
Are there a lot of markets for high fantasy with gay protagonists? I ask because I have some sitting in my trunk looking forlorn...or is it different for novels vs short stories?