Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Croatia not crumbling under Brazil's assault, 1-1 at half time

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
New World Cup thread

Could one of the mods do me a favour, please?

Every time I try to use the existing World Cup thread, I get the Java popup.

I've used Spybot Search and CCleaner and it still happens so I have no idea what is causing it.

Anyway, that's not the important thing.

I really really want to discuss the World Cup with everyone here so is there any chance you could incorporate that thread into this one?

And then I will edit this post to reflect the topic of football?

Pretty please?

Thank you

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Unconvincing from Brazil. Very soft penalty, not much wrong with the goal Croatia had disallowed. If they win Group A they will face (probably) Holland or Spain. That will be a cracker.

Still not optimistic about England

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Unconvincing from Brazil. Very soft penalty, not much wrong with the goal Croatia had disallowed. If they win Group A they will face (probably) Holland or Spain. That will be a cracker.

Still not optimistic about England
I think calling that penalty soft is being charitable.

And yes, very little wrong with Croatia's disallowed goal.

And that third Brazil goal was made possible by winning the ball at midfield on a clear foul. The ball was poked away by a clever wraparound of a foot, but then the defender was violently pushed in the back and went down. No dive there; that was a serious push.

Of course, controversy about calls by the refs are as much a part of the World Cup as is a round ball and a grass pitch. But it's a bit disheartening to see two such important calls blown in the very first match.

Brazil was not only unconvincing, they were disappointing. I expect to see them get their act together but if they don't they may not even make it past the quarterfinals.

For viewers in the US, there is a delightful bonus. ESPN, which has always televised games with a crawl feed along the bottom and a large logo on the top blocking part of the view of the pitch and several other things which make it difficult and annoying to watch a game, for the first time showed the entire pitch with only a small line showing score and time in the top corner.

I don't know who at that network finally came to their senses, but I am delighted to actually be able to see a match the way it should be seen, free of visual clutter.

Hanson

Registered
Reaction score
For viewers in the US, there is a delightful bonus. ESPN, which has always televised games with a crawl feed along the bottom and a large logo on the top blocking part of the view of the pitch and several other things which make it difficult and annoying to watch a game, for the first time showed the entire pitch with only a small line showing score and time in the top corner.

I don't know who at that network finally came to their senses, but I am delighted to actually be able to see a match the way it should be seen, free of visual clutter.

Only if punters could access the matches through other outlets. Most likely these days.

So, Spain and the Netherlands to Draw.

Australia to get at least one goal against Chile.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I didn't watch the match live, but having seen it now I can't say I'm surprised at just how bad that call was. I think the ref felt the pressure and basically gave in the first chance he got. I'm assuming we won't be seeing him in the later rounds.

MacAllister

'Twas but a dream of thee
Staff member
Boss Mare
Administrator
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
VPX
Registered
Reaction score
Website
macallisterstone.com
Hang on - I'll see what I can do. :) The existing post in the other thread will still be the first post (cuz chronology) but a merge might change the thread id, I think.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, so 2 goals for Oz? ;)

Yeah, one disallowed for some unfathomable reason (or a fathomable briefcase full of money), and the other handily kicked into our own goal.

The great thing about being a pessimist is you're never disappointed.

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
Me, I am more interested in how Brazil is going to handle the unrest. That is where the real story is...

Qatar will be taking notes...