Question about Sports in Books

thisprovinciallife

hi! i'm reese.
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but I'm currently revising a novel with a subplot that has the Cubs winning the World Series. The book is somewhere along the lines of psychological suspense, so the subplot really only comes into play at the end of the novel, as the win coincides with the climax of the main plot and makes everything crazy.

When I started writing this book, there was NO WAY the Cubs were going to win the World Series. Their chances were laughable. But now they're beefing up their roster and it's possible they could be contenders in the next few years.

My question: Is this a problem for my book? Or would people still want to read it? I don't want to make myself culturally irrelevant before I even get published.

Thanks!

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see it as a problem. If and when it's published, you and your editor will have the opportunity to change it to a different team if the Cubs are seen as potential contenders near the time of its release.

Somebody's always in a long-term slump, right? Maybe not always as long as the Cubs' slump, but yeah, you should be okay.

Maryn, startled by sudden downpour coinciding with nearby sirens

C. Eldon Gammon

Registered
Reaction score
I agree with Maryn. I don't think it's a problem, but you can always change it later if it becomes one.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
The only problem I see is that no one on earth except all nine Cub fans will believe it. Talk about writing fantasy.