The Walking Dead - AMC

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Here's a question. What are some of the dumbest things the characters have done on the show? Like the time they lowered Glen into the well to try and get the walker out. I'm trying to create a top ten list.
Letting Herschel go on a Walker hunt through the prison. Seriously, people! You don't put your only medical personnel on the front lines.

Lori's speech in S2 about how "the men go out and fight and the women stay home and cook." Dumb bitch.

Any time someone goes off on their own into the woods. How stupid are these people?

Vince524

Are you gonna finish that bacon?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
vincentmorrone.com
So far I had Tbag walker well with Glen, Hershal on the front lines, Nobody watching Carl, Andrea letting the girl attempt suicide and Lori... well... being Lori. I'd love a list of 10

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
Herschel was feeding the barn zombies, but didn't think to mention one of them was a little girl like everyone else was looking for?

Off screen in season 1, but whose idea was it to team up with drug addict biker nazi (Merle)and his bro(pre-redemption Daryl)? Was Shane too busy getting busy to remember he was a cop who knew what kinds of scumbags they were?

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
Oh, and Season 1 - camping in the woods is the best you can come up with? How secure is a tent against walkers, do you think?

I guess that was adequately answered in Episode 4.

Bringing Randall back to the farm after he fell on the fence. He was one of the guys trying to KILL you. Let nature take its course, or put him out of his misery, but don't endanger your family by bringing him back.

Rick leaving the escaping prisoner to the walkers. Same principle. Protecting your family is #1. Make sure he's dead.

crunchyblanket

the Juggernaut of Imperfection
Registered
Reaction score
T-Dog's abysmal attempt at a three-point turn when escaping Hershel's farm.

Michonne not opening her damn mouth and telling everyone exactly what she's seen. Imagine the problems they could've solved.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
One of the questions raised last season (because Rick was actually talking about it) and left unanswered is, what happened during the winter, when it got freezing cold? Did the walkers stop in their tracks?

If that were the case, it'd be absolutely baffling that the group didn't take advantage of it to secure and fortify a permanent place, get to the coast, or something.

So, I guess we have to assume it didn't have much effect. Still, annoying to have that left unanswered, after the specific possibility had been raised in dialogue.

I'm not bothered by individual brain farts on characters' parts as much as a sort of collective group stupidity. In the second season, they spent weeks of time (long enough for Carl to completely recover from getting a rifle round in the guts) and never did anything to fortify the place. The Greene family farm could have been made quite defensible. They actually started doing something about that about twelve hours before being attacked by a huge herd of walkers.

And it just didn't seem believable to me when Rick and Shane, both trained, reasonably intelligent county police officers, felt the best way to get information from a prisoner was to beat the shit out of him, and then tell him to shut up every time he starts talking. (Seriously; the kid was a self-confessed chatterbox. If they'd treated him decently, made him feel it was in his best interest to be communicative, that kid would have spilled everything he knew about the group he came from. Any good cop would know that.)

In the real world, we've got plenty of examples of a group acting more stupidly than an individual. So maybe it's believable. But I'd love to see our group of survivors really get their shit together, stop fighting amongst themselves, and start working tightly, kicking ass, backing each other up, and surviving and building in a world full of danger. (We've seen some of that; I loved seeing them take out the prison yard full of walkers.)

In spite of my complaints, I love the show. Looking forward to its return next Sunday.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I dunno how cold it gets in the south? Freezing?
Well, the show is set (and filmed) not far from Atlanta where I live. (Just a couple of blocks away, for a few days.)

The current season is set in central Georgia. It's a crap shoot whether there'll be a real freeze during winter. (These past couple of months, it's only been below freezing a few times.) So there might not have been enough cold weather to really test the theory. (I've always thought I'd try to get north, like up to the permafrost.)

Now, would the walker apocalypse affect the weather? With human industry mostly ground to a halt, carbon dioxide would stop increasing in the atmosphere; but the climate change we've already caused would continue for years.

But there might be other effects; for instance, there might well be cities burning to the ground, unrestrained wildfires, etc., that could put enough material in the air to cause a cold year. Hell, there might have been nuclear weapons detonated; in the show, we know almost nothing about what's been happening elsewhere in the world.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I've been in Atlanta in what Georgians call "winter."

I wore skirts to work - with no jacket and no panty hose, and shorts in my liesure time.

Meanwhile, the thermometer back home didn't get over 12 degrees.

Georgians don't know from winter.

James simpson

Registered
Reaction score
5. Almost everything Lori has done since she discovered that she was pregnant.

I have been re-watching the series and it should be Almost everything Lori has done, even before she knew she was pregnant.

another for the list is Rick leaving Morgan and Dwayne in the first episode. They should have stayed together.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Georgians don't know from winter.
True. It looks like we've gone another year without a winter (unless there were to be a freakish late-winter snowstorm that covers all the East Coast states, like in March 1993).

I've been here -- damn, almost half my life now. But I've lived in Utah and other places where you could count on at least some snow, and a good hard freeze. I miss it.

Myrealana said:
I've been in Atlanta in what Georgians call "winter."

I wore skirts to work - with no jacket and no panty hose, and shorts in my leisure time.
After a few years here, I gave my parka to Goodwill and haven't bought another. I love flannel shirts, sweaters, and my long trenchcoat -- but it's never cold enough to wear them. Even if it's briefly cold outside, any place I go indoors is going to have the heat cranked up.

But -- people born and raised here think we have a real winter. I start seeing serious coats as soon as the overnight lows hit 45 F. If the word "snow" appears in a forecast, people mob the supermarkets as if they have to stock up for an Arctic blizzard.

Most of the year, Georgia's just a terrible place to live without air conditioning. They should have gone with T-Dog's idea, headed for the coast, found a suitable boat and sailed north. You could island-hop all the way up the East Coast. I'd think there'd be people doing that, living at sea most of the time and looking for safe places to get supplies. The show doesn't have the budget to expand its worldview like that.

J.W. Alden

The King Who Bore the Sword
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.twitter.com
They should have gone with T-Dog's idea, headed for the coast, found a suitable boat and sailed north. You could island-hop all the way up the East Coast. I'd think there'd be people doing that, living at sea most of the time and looking for safe places to get supplies. The show doesn't have the budget to expand its worldview like that.

Well, remember the show is based on the comic. They wouldn't veer that drastically away from the comic's storyline anyway.

They ("they" being a different group of people) actually do try that in the Walking Dead game from Telltale, which has one of the best stories of any game I've ever played. Like the comic/show, the focus is more on character drama and human conflict than just shooting zombies. I won't spoil it, in case there are gamers here that haven't played it, but the group treks from the same Atlanta outskirts that Rick's group is from to Savannah, in hopes of finding a boat.

zahra

Was Zahra; lost profile - REBORN!
Registered
Reaction score
Everyone except Rick, not joining Rick when he went to bash the couple of walkers chasing Sophia. Idiots. A few more of them and the walkers would have been buzzard-meat in a trice. Or one could have stayed with her while the others splattered the walkers. Instead they stand around like sheep looking over a fence. Idiots, idiots, idiots.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
They ("they" being a different group of people) actually do try that in the Walking Dead game from Telltale, which has one of the best stories of any game I've ever played. Like the comic/show, the focus is more on character drama and human conflict than just shooting zombies. I won't spoil it, in case there are gamers here that haven't played it, but the group treks from the same Atlanta outskirts that Rick's group is from to Savannah, in hopes of finding a boat.
Interesting! I'll have to take a look at that.

ETA: Took a look. Damn, I want to play that game now! (And I haven't bought a video game in years.)

Last edited: