Space Marine and Dragonwrangler Bar & Grill

Status
Not open for further replies.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I may bite someone if I don't get it soon...

y3Yxr.gif

Raventongue

little orphan anarchist
Registered
Reaction score
Oh my gods, multiple new people! Is it my birthday?! Hai!

And :Hug2:s to the several of you that appear to need one... yikes.

Random Question: Do bunnies make good pets?

Depends on training and shizz. Someone else will be able to give you a more detailed answer than that.

I want your life! Minus the "being female" bit, though. :)

Hey hey hey hey what is this? Being female is the SHIZZIZZLE, man.

Flashman works because, despite being a liar, a poltroon, a coward, a lech and a scoundrel, he's just so damned CHARMING you're willing to follow along.

Characters like that almost inevitably don't work on me anyway. No character is ever spot-on perfect, because you simply can't please everyone all the time.

10trackers

Pollyanna, Shedder of Casual Blood
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Goodness me 10s, how do you manage? At least my episode was self-inflicted by getting my all eating timing wrong.

Well, it's a choice between migraines and low BP. Not exactly, because I still get migraines, but fewer ones. I hope. And it sucks, but yeah. :)

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
CM is also running the SS. Just sayin.

also I have no clue when the stories are due aside from before SAD.

Kricket

Chirp! Chirp!
Registered
Reaction score
Trying a new strategy with potty training today. I have high hopes. That will be dashed I'm sure, but for now, they are high. :)

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
Good morning Cantina! I'm tired. Somehow my alarm clock reset and the thing went off at midnight. Needless to say, I wasn't very happy. At least I was able to fall back to sleep. I just needed more.

Well maybe I officially belong in here since I'm writing the sequel to my supposed SF series....
Welcome tri! I've seen you around the forum before. Hope you enjoy your stay.

I don't think it's a bad category to be in (despite the authors previously referenced). There's a whole lot to be said for fun, can't-put-it-down books.
No, it isn't bad at all, considering that's mostly what I read. Fancy prose tends to slow down the pace of a story, and a lot of times I end up skimming through it. But once and a while I think, "I wish I could write this good."

In other news:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOV18WKNtgI

A minute and a half of fuzzy cuteness.
BUNNEHS!!!!

I blame AW, and the SF/F First Line Game on the Science Fiction message board. I came up with a line for it a few months ago, and it's haunted me ever since.

"Let's just get this out into the open, so there are no surprises later: I'm a mage, a liar, a philanderer, a smuggler, an impersonator of various noble personages -- oh, and an occasional hero; do try and keep up."

This is a story that's begging to be written.
I like that first line. And I think you're not giving yourself enough credit. I say write it.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I never understood gender differences. All genitals are weird, period.

I have wanted to read Flashman some time mostly because I feel a Blackadder vibe from it. By the way, did you know there's a movie with Malcolm MacDowell?

Fenika

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Great line in a song this morning

Started out with nothing,
Still got most of it left.

Heh.

Ion, Blueberry has an appointment on Monday with an avian board certified vet.

BigWords

Geekzilla
Registered
Reaction score
I never understood gender differences. All genitals are weird, period.

:roll:

I have wanted to read Flashman some time mostly because I feel a Blackadder vibe from it. By the way, did you know there's a movie with Malcolm MacDowell?

You have to read it. Actually, read it before you watch the movie, as... well, it isn't very good. There was a period of time a couple of years ago when it really did seem like the legal complexities were being worked out so that a two-hour long series (like the Sharpe or Hornblower shows) was going into production, but that seems to have disappeared.

Love, love, love the novels.

Andelana

Secret Stick-Figure Superhero
Registered
Reaction score
I am still sans passport. :( My ire at all the things I cannot do (well, one really, really important thing) is beginning to have an adverse effect on my patience and general niceness. I may bite someone if I don't get it soon...

Boo. :(

Heh.

Ion, Blueberry has an appointment on Monday with an avian board certified vet.

Yay! Here's hoping it's not something scary! *hugs* *twitters at Blueb'ry like a contented parakeet*

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Heh, found the cantina map. Pretty big place. I stopped to feed the moat Kraken and it got vicious with me.

Currently reading The Skinner by Neal Asher. WTF, I'm 50 pages in and confused already. Or just jarred out reality with a weird assembly of creatures that have all these human characteristics, including speech and whatnots. But I've seen this book frequently praised as to "what to do" in the realm of SF. Uh, yep. Affirm. Copy that.

Now, off to find some money writing to support my worthless writing.

tri

Black-Marlin

Avoiding cliches like the plague
Registered
Reaction score
Website
starlingford.wordpress.com
Hi folks. I have hit a bit of a wall in the MS. Perhaps you fine people can help me break it.

Can any of you think of an example of a theologically-motivated (or at least -justified) revolution/rebellion in a theocracy? I need to do a little research, to make sure I get the tone of the dispute in my own book about right...

If any of you can come up with an example and a good book on said example, I may bake you something. Something sweet and wholesome.

And legal.

BM

hillaryjacques

Undercover, sort of...
Registered
Reaction score
Can any of you think of an example of a theologically-motivated (or at least -justified) revolution/rebellion in a theocracy? I need to do a little research, to make sure I get the tone of the dispute in my own book about right...

Please to define "theologically-motivated".

Black-Marlin

Avoiding cliches like the plague
Registered
Reaction score
Website
starlingford.wordpress.com
Please to define "theologically-motivated".

Would the English civil war count? (1642-1651)

Aha - two birds, one stone. I had considered the English Civil War, but that conflict has more to do with the extent to which the King was able to exercise personal authority in the governance of the state. Parliament was not happy about that, and so....

No, I was thinking of a theologically-motivated conflict in the sense of "you are no longer fit to rule because your interpretation of this holy book - which forms the basis of our legal and governmental systems - is not in accordance with ours. When it comes to the state religion, you're doing it wrong, and therefore you must go."

My suspicion - although, again, I confess my ignorance - is that the clearest examples of this are to be found somewhere in Islamic parts of the world, either with the usurption or founding of caliphates, or in more sectarian divides such as that between Shia and Sunni interpretations of Islam.

Does that clarify things?

BM

Reservoir Angel

Angelic by name, fiendish by nature
Registered
Reaction score
Well the whole conflict between the Monarchy and Parliament that started the English Civil War did, if I remember rightly, happen in part because Charles I was a really devout lunatic who essentially thought that because he was King he was ordained by God to do whatever he damn well felt like and wouldn't be told otherwise by no Parlimantary losers.

Status
Not open for further replies.