The Neuro-is-a-butthead finish-it challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keyan

ubiquitous
Registered
Reaction score
Hmm. Since August 2008?

One short MG/YA novel, first draft complete (about 49K words). One short story; one flash piece.

Continual revision of {mumble} other stories.

(I send out a story. When I get it back, I play with it and then send it out again. This provides endless opportunities for justifiable cat-vacuuming.)

Currently have nine pieces out. Sold seven pieces in 2008 to paying markets (though not "professional" ones); have one story scheduled to come out in a charity anthology (which supports Clarion ).

Oh, and did the post-submission work on a non-fic book being published under a different name.

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Finished moving to Japan, finished writing my NaNo novel, finished the first revision on the NaNo novel, submitted a query for the same novel, edited about 2/3 of "Sins of the Father", and have written about 20,000 words between my new vampire novel and a new erotic romance.

Multi-tasking rules, Butthead. :D

December multi-taskings:

First drafts of "Fit for a King" and "Luke Boydston's Baby" finished, first revision of "Sins of the Father" completed, and received a partial manuscript request on "Camera Shy" (NaNo novel).

I'm now going to go ice my hands for a few hours.

Reaction score
I claim all credit for the above, what with my constant naggingz over MSN. :D

C.bronco

I have plans...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cynthia-bronco.blogspot.com
Choose Your Own Adventure book completed 1985
Scores of poems and short stories in interim.
YA novel copyrighted 2005
Serial novel on blog finished sometime last spring (I forget)
Script for graphic novel of above serial completed 9/08

Last edited:
Reaction score
A minor contribution.

My latest WIP, which I started in November for NaNo, is now the longest WIP I have on my hard drive; over 75,000 words. I've written more on one project before; I had a 150k longhand draft years ago, and another 100k one. Binned both; they were rubbish.

But this is the longest thing I've written in years; well over a decade in fact. It keeps going on and on; I thought it would be finished by now, but no.

But I'm proud of the fact I've stuck to the same WIP for over 75k words and I'm so close to the end now I know I'll see it through.

Pat~

Luftmensch Emeritus, A.D.D.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Too many times, I read posts by people here about how they can (or have to) work on multiple projects, when a scan of their sig lines shows they've completed nothing. This thread is an in-my-face challenge of the "completing" ability of our fellow AWers. Here are the rules. Post here when you complete a long project (novels, screenplays, non-fiction projects of significant length, etc.). First drafts are okay. If it is a short story, a short non-fiction project, any flash-type writing, poem, essay, or anything of short length, post here when you submit it somewhere. This will be a testament to the self-discipline of AWers.

Show me that AW is full of self-disciplined writers, not a bunch of posers.

Fizzy, thanks for the prod...I need that at times, to be sure. But to offer another (poet's) perspective, I'll offer this, too, as it directly relates to why I've been comparatively less productive since August:

When I Consider How My Light Is Spent

by John Milton

When I consider how my light is spent,
Ere half my days in this dark world and wide,
And that one talent which is death to hide
Lodged with me useless, though my soul more bent
To serve therewith my Maker, and present
My true account, lest He returning chide;
"Doth God exact day-labor, light denied?"
I fondly ask. But Patience, to prevent
That murmur, soon replies, "God doth not need
Either man's work or His own gifts. Who best
Bear His mild yoke, they serve Him best. His state
Is kingly: thousands at His bidding speed,
And post o'er land and ocean without rest;
They also serve who only stand and wait."

Sometimes what might look like time-frittering IS (especially with ADD types like me :D)...but sometimes, too, it's related to writerly cogitation and contemplation. I've been mulling over the fact this year that the only two books I've ever been inspired to write will never find a traditional publishing home (one is a poetry devotional, the other a women's Bible study), and while I've continued to submit and publish individual pieces in magazines, that slowed down a bit in that I haven't had a sense of what new larger goal to pursue. Until yesterday. It was an 'aha' moment, the kind where you think, 'of course, how could I have been so slow to get it!' Totally wonderful, and worth the wait! :)

Now I probably will continue to keep my sig line the way it is, but if you guys notice my poetry or magazine library entries stalling out, by all means drag out that cattle prod. But rest assured, too, that I'm working towards a goal in between all these AW posts, because apart from the fun here, I agree it's important to 'consider how my light is spent.'

Last edited:

Sean D. Schaffer

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, NeuroFizz, :)

I wanted to let you know that I have finished a manuscript draft. It's a novella, and I'm not sure which draft it is because I've done so many drafts of this particular work. I will say it's Fantasy and its final word count is 35,416 using the word processor's counting feature. I'm thinking about adding a prologue, an epilogue, or possibly both, but I do have the main story down pat and printed out.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I finished a 9600-word story that will be going in the mail tomorrow. Yay!

ETA: yay, got an acceptance on 01/28!

Last edited:

DamaNegra

Mexican on the loose!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fictionpress.com
I finished a novel in November. About 62k words, currently editing. I'm writing two fresh novels right now (you can see the progress bars inching forward)

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I completed an 80,000-word work a few months ago. Working on a new one now.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
Submitted a short story today.

ETA: and sold it!

Last edited:

LilliCray

Plot? What plot?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mutteringsofascribe.blogspot.com
Wow... I feel even worse about my "finishaphobia" than I did before...

I submitted a flash fiction piece to my school literary magazine the other day. Does that count?

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Still re-writing my finished novel. There will be a 3rd re-write I suspect since after reading some of it tonight I am not pleased with the flow of the writing and it can be improved.

Cassiopeia

Otherwise Occupied
Registered
Reaction score
Star to the right and straight on till morning.
Wow... I feel even worse about my "finishaphobia" than I did before...

I submitted a flash fiction piece to my school literary magazine the other day. Does that count?
Yes it counts.

Fizzy, I have now submitted six freelance articles in total; four of which were accepted and paid for.

Thank you for being such a butt-head :D

Domenic

Banned
Reaction score
I have 5 manuscripts done (each over 50,000 words)...but, I'm not going to put any of them on here...you don't pay up front, nor do you publish.

Domenic

KikiteNeko

Registered
Reaction score
I have 5 manuscripts done (each over 50,000 words)...but, I'm not going to put any of them on here...you don't pay up front, nor do you publish.

Domenic

Er... I don't think the OP meant for you to post your actual manuscript. Just a report of what you've done. Like, "I just completed a manuscript." Also, really quick, 50,000 is a little on the short side, teetering towards novella.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Domenic
I don't want to see your works, I just want to acknowledge your successes in completing them. Nothing even remotely sinister or devious here.

Shweta

Sick and absent
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shwetanarayan.org
Still submitting, but nothing too exciting here since my last post.
I will post here when I have stuck a fork in the paper I'm writing now 'cause once it's done I get to go back to the novel!

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
Submitted 4 short stories to different E-zines. 2 Have been accepted and I have a good feeling about the third. Not sure about the forth one though :)
X

Reaction score
Just broke the 100k barrier on my WIP. Very tired now. Pulled all-nighter. Going to bed. Bye bye. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.