The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Vol. 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

LGwenn

Rollin' Boulders, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Lily: If the absinthe doesn't have Wormwood innit.... No visit with the green fairy.

I have the *reallll* stuff. Picked it up in Amsterdam. ;)

dystophil

Wielder of the Literary Lead Pipe
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Haha, Lily and the absinthe (really, who is typing this for you, hmmm? ;))

Disappeared for most of the day, because I got into one of those craptastic moods this morning. Anyway, saw Skyfall, which was awesome and lots of explosions do indeed boost crappy Dys moods, then a friend invited me for lunch and I found a bunch of crafty stuff to make shiny steampunky things to stick into my hair out of - which will be how I'm intending to spend the rest of my night. Because my brain is stupid. And mushy.

Love you all. Also, Amarie, it wasn't me. That's all I'm willing to go on the Record with. :tongue

ETA: Lily, and others on the FB stuff: I'm currently having to ignore my Housemate who has also joined the weirdly religious poem-posting cult. And she isn't even religious. Like, at all. Queue: serious social media filtering here, otherwise I'd be too tempted to go around and slap people...

Vespertilion

Flying blind on a rocket cycle.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think you're missing anything, Lily. It's strong, but no worse than, say, gin. My brother likes it best straight, no water or sugar.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Just checked the ingredient list--yep, there's wormwood in this. I bought a very small bottle for $10 (it was a major splurge).

Ya got me. Perhaps I just drank too small an amount for the truck to hit me.

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Absinthe never did anything for me except run-of-the-mill drunk, either, even the good stuff.

Speaking of wormwood, do y'all know about malort? It's a Chicago thing. It's a liquor made from wormwood that tastes like someone poured nail polish remover on death, set it on fire, and then put the fire out with rancid shrubbery. Apparently it's something people actually enjoy, or at least enjoy for the bragging rights.

So, I sent my revisions (on my second R&R) to the agent almost a month ago. The initial full and the first R&R, I heard back really quickly, as in days, with at least a confirmation email. I've heard nothing. I'm trying to figure out if I should commence freaking out (what's a month, in querying? NOTHING) or send a polite, hi there, after the holidays. At least in this time I have managed to accept that I need to move on from this project, work on the WIP that I just wrote my first draft of, and line up some other projects.

Last edited:

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
I only had absinthe once, but honestly roommates and I were already way, way into the apple wine at that point, so I honestly can't comment much on the prowess of the absinthe.

Anyway, unplugging now to fix my Sherlock book purse and make shiny hair things while watching lots of Castle etc. Hugs.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
New hat for the Veiled Threat signings and conference trips:
il_570xN_390497926_m4q0.jpg

LOVE. From Somethingfancydesign on Etsy.

Last edited:

mikeland

Call me Pookie
Registered
Reaction score
So, I sent my revisions (on my second R&R) to the agent almost a month ago. The initial full and the first R&R, I heard back really quickly, as in days, with at least a confirmation email. I've heard nothing. I'm trying to figure out if I should commence freaking out (what's a month, in querying? NOTHING) or send a polite, hi there, after the holidays. At least in this time I have managed to accept that I need to move on from this project, work on the WIP that I just wrote my first draft of, and line up some other projects.

Do not freak out. Enjoy the holidays. Send a polite check-in a few weeks into the new year.

For the record, these are all things that I have intense difficulty doing myself when I am waiting for something. I definitely feel your pain.

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
daugh received letters of law school accepts; which is a wonderful gift.

no writerly goals yet.
So happy for you, and daughter. Fantastic news.

Two of my sisters have daughters who just got their high school results and one also got into law school and the other into the media program of her choice. It is unbelievably competitive in Australia these days - too many people for too few schools. Results have to be 98+ to even have a chance. Too much stress for these kids.

Ha. NO! My best friend is adopting.
I'm so glad you clarified. I really was wondering too. :D

Company party is over. As far as I'm concerned, it was success. Anyone who disagrees, can bite me.
Love your attitude, Ink! ;)

I just got over hosting a party for my breast cancer walk team, which stressed me out for days beforehand. I haven't had a chance to recover and now I have my nephew and three Swedish friends staying here. They are all really good guests, but they arrived at 1am, I made up 4 beds, and you know, we just want to relax for a bit. Young Blue is mesmerized by my nephew, who is 6'7" and broad shouldered. He said he sounds exactly like Thor. I don't know that movie. Anyone relate? And our oldest, who's 20, is coming late tonight from Santa Barbara for a few days. Why does it all happen together?

Mayqueen, good advice from Mike. :) And I must ask about your avatar. I keep seeing two heads. What am I really seeing?

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I second the yum, Chris Hemsworth. Why are Australian men so good-looking?

Mayqueen, good advice from Mike. :) And I must ask about your avatar. I keep seeing two heads. What am I really seeing?

Thanks for the advice, Bluestone and Mike. I wasn't sure if my anxiety was justified. My avatar is a painting by Remedios Varo, who was a contemporary of Frida Kahlo, called Disturbing Presence. I just love her work.

dystophil

Registered
Reaction score
Website
alexharrow.blogspot.com
Blue, is this your nephew who is modeling, too?

Lily, I LOVE that hat! You'll totally rock it! Pictures please!

Speaking of steampunky stuff, some creative TV watching time and some serious hot glue later, I made all the shiny things to stick into my hair:

ShinyThings_zps8b7e66ff.jpg

Loved Skyfall by the way. And I, too, didn't know who Richard Armitage was. :tongue

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Evening, Purgies!

IT.IS.DONE!

Agent has received countersigned copies of the contracts and the first payment, and they'll be on the way to me tomorrow. Now I can stop sweating it - wondering if the light bulb would go on and they'd realize what a crappy writer I am, or end up with my Editor fired and my contract cut due to the Big 6 mergers and other turmoil. But I fooled them long enough and squeaked through, and it's a done deal.

Editor says he'll have my editorial notes to me by the end of January, and that Book 1 is slated for a Winter 2014 release. (I guess that means next Winter, though it technically starts in 2013.)

:welcome: Welcome, Merlot! Belly up to the bar and grab a drink. They'll be plenty of Purgies cruising through here at all times of the day and night to refill your glass as needed. Good luck on the submissions!

:hi: Hi Elisabetta and Kimmi! Thanks for sharing the short story, Elisabetta, and mega congrats to Kimmi-kiddo for getting into law school!

Dys - WOOT! on the 4.0 semester! Well done! And cool creations, too!

Sammy - glad to hear your back is improving.

Becky - Yay! for upgraded fireplace.

Trinza - enjoy the reading break!

Caleb - good luck with the Yoga! Impressive!

Amarie - that's pretty cool about your FIL driving General Eisenhower around.

Auntie Blondie - glad the kiddie excursion with BF went well. Enjoy the road trip to SF and the east coast. Congrats on the check!

Lily - great Scot! Kiddo #3 would love to have a stocking that big, stuffed with goodies. Lovely hat, BTW!

Blue - glad the party is over and went well. Enjoy your time with Thor.

(((Sunna))) I hope the shoulder gets better soon. I second Lily's question - exactly how did you pinch that nerve?

(((Ink))) Any cookies left over?

(((Maryn))) for the thumbs.

(((Para))) for the sub wait.

{{{Ink}}} & LOL. You're a WIP Cougar, you can't help it. Any young SNI catches your eye and you're ready to dump the WIP you're working on.
But the SNI is full of such promise, unlike that hardened, bitter WIP.
LOL! Steve and Red. Plus, with a new SNI, you can flesh out the plot then strip it down and...

Oh, what was I saying?

So, I sent my revisions (on my second R&R) to the agent almost a month ago. The initial full and the first R&R, I heard back really quickly, as in days, with at least a confirmation email. I've heard nothing. I'm trying to figure out if I should commence freaking out (what's a month, in querying? NOTHING) or send a polite, hi there, after the holidays.
(((may queen))) Deja vu for me. I did 2 R&Rs for Dream Agent. She got back to me in 6 weeks the first time, which was an excruciatingly long wait for me. The second time, the wait went on, and on, and on, and it was at the 4 month point that I stumbled into Purgatory, numb from the wait, asking for advice. I had decided to send her an email once a month starting at the 2 month point. After 4 and 1/2 months, she passed for good. So I guess I'm saying - I have no friggin idea about what you should do.

In other news, I've been gradually joining the 21st century, first by creating a Linked-In account (ostensibly to find a job sometime soon) and I activated my Facebook account. I'm still getting a feel for it and I've tracked down quite a few of you. If you have a Facebook account and I haven't sent you a friend request (and you'd like to be my friend) send me a Friend request. (Rick C@mpbell)

Cricket18

Gnawing my hairless tail
Registered
Reaction score
tuzki-bunny-emoticon-040.gif
Thank you, Clovia! Your card made my day, more than you know.

Yay, Rick! All you have to do is fool 'em long enough to get the $$$. :D

Was just walking the dog. Black car pulls along side of us and I think they're going to ask for directions. Still, I stand back and keep the leash taught. Then they rail on the horn for 2-3 seconds. I kept walking and they took off. W.T.F.?

Status
Not open for further replies.