Bread Loaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Earlier this year, I applied for Bread Loaf. I have saved up money just in case I get in. I know it might be a long shot, but I really want to go, and will continue to apply in the future. It is pretty expensive, but right now I could do it if I get in.

However, some friends are planning a fun vacation this summer and need to so soon if I want to come. I can't afford to do both. I have no idea when I will hear back from Bread Loaf. My friends want to book things now.

Should I just say no to the vacation with friends? I would hate not to do either. But, personally, I want to go to Bread Loaf way more than any vacation. I'm just not sure I will get in.

If anyone has experience with Bread Loaf, I would love to hear about it. And does anyone know when they will send out notices?

augusto

Registered
Reaction score
Website
willtinkham.blogspot.com
I was there 33 years ago and had a wonderful time. Talked to some people last summer who had been there more recently and it sounded about the same. I was able to get a "working scholarship"--waiting tables--so I got off cheap. I'd highly recommend it to anyone.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, augusto. I really want to go, but I know these things are super competitive. I told my friend planning the vacation that I didn't think I could go. She's not taking it well, and if I don't get it, I might feel or look stupid. Sometimes it's hard to make these decisions. I'm basically choosing a chance over vacationing with friends.

Have you been to anything similar to Bread Loaf that you would recommend? I tried for Tin House's summer program, but I didn't get in there. :(

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I attended the Minnesota Northwoods Writers Conference last summer and had a great time. Week-long workshops right on Lake Bemidji. Probably won't go this year because the people they're bringing in don't quite jump out at me like last year.

The deadline to apply for housing has passed. And they say they fill up the workshops on a first-come-first-serve basis for those who get in. I'm a little hesitant to apply at all so late in the game, but I will keep this place in mind for next year. Thanks.

Kayley

Someday.
Registered
Reaction score
Um...what are we talking about here?

Cos I googled and all I got was a load of recipes?

ETA I am trying the bacon cheese one

I believe they're talking about the Middlebury Bread Loaf Conferences.

I wish I could offer you some advice, OP. It's a tricky situation. Are you sure you wouldn't qualify for financial aid?

The Middlebury website states notifications will be sent out late May, 2015.

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I hope it works out for you, gettingby, and that your friend comes around and understands why you're choosing to try for the conference.

Good luck to you!

Status
Not open for further replies.