It’s National Poetry Month and You Haven’t Read a Single Poem Yet, Have You?

• i've read at least one poem this month.

Votes: 7 16.7%
  • i've read more than one poem this month.

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • read one? hell, i've written one.

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • i've read and written multiple poems this month.

• i haven't read a poem in ages.

• i've never read a poem.

• stop trying to sell people on poetry. it's not gonna happen.

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • other.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
I don’t know many people who like poetry, though I do know a good number of people who read. Poetry remains rarefied and uninviting—or is the better word unappealing?—which is why I suspect National Poetry Month consistently passes uncelebrated and unacknowledged in the lives of most Americans. Poetry is the country music to those who might otherwise fancy themselves readers of everything, the form of writing almost all otherwise enthusiastic readers (of fiction and history and short stories and essays…) are excused for eschewing.

That isn’t to say people hate poetry. On the contrary, those who don’t read it often look upon the genre with benevolence, maybe even fond indulgence. When someone finds out I went to grad school to study poetry, they are almost inevitably charmed, if only with my precocious embrace of un-employability. What a cute, quaint, harmless pastime, their smiles imply, like I actually got a Masters in Floral Management.

Though it’s arguably the most persistent, adaptable, iconoclastic form of art, poetry has more unpleasant stereotypes to buck than any other. It’s been a few years since I was in grade school, but I remember the poetry taught then as written almost exclusively by long-dead British men and a handful of more recently dead white American men. Oh, and Emily Dickinson.

Those poets rhymed and used strict meter, which sounded silly and childish to me, and they concerned themselves with being clever, somber, or impenetrable on topics such as fleas, fences, and birds. Even if they were sometimes fun—“The Raven” is fun!—they didn’t move me. They didn’t feel vital or connected to life, and so I learned that poems were either trifles you could forget as soon as you left class, or boring, old codes you were saddled with cracking to pass a class.

http://www.newrepublic.com/article/...try-month-and-you-havent-read-single-poem-yet

William Haskins

poet
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.poisonpen.net
30 views and 2 votes.

if you people don't take a stand one way or the other, how in the hell are they supposed to know which of you to put in the FEMA camps?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
dd8c8549-bf12-49b2-8cb4-6ad79f7dd35f_zpsyir5au9j.jpg

Last edited:

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Prediction: only those who've read and/or written at least one poem this month will respond to the poll.

However, any number of people will click to see if you've said anything potentially offensive in the poll.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm back to trying to memorize poetry at my job during slow times.

Good for you, Juniper. What poem(s) are you memorizing now? And how do you choose them?

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It probably doesn't count, but I read "High Flight" at least once a month.

MM

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
Do the poems posted here at AW count?

And I would take some issue with the idea that long dead British men only wrote about academic, puerile, irrelevant things.

Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon did not write about trifles.

TS Eliot and Allen Ginsberg are not impenetrable, though I suppose some might think them so.

Yates wrote poems of both great beauty and profound thought.

The canon has been mocked and in some cases rightly so, but we should never sneer or turn up our noses at some of the great artists of the world simply because they had the good fortune to be born male and white.

dolores haze

international guttersnipe
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of obsessed with Baudelaire at the moment, comparing different translations with the original French. I cannot seem to stop, though I really should be writing.

CassandraW

Banned
Flounced
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
Do the poems posted here at AW count?

They count double.

And I would take some issue with the idea that long dead British men only wrote about academic, puerile, irrelevant things.

Wilfred Owen and Siegfried Sassoon did not write about trifles.

TS Eliot and Allen Ginsberg are not impenetrable, though I suppose some might think them so.

Yates wrote poems of both great beauty and profound thought.

The canon has been mocked and in some cases rightly so, but we should never sneer or turn up our noses at some of the great artists of the world simply because they had the good fortune to be born male and white.

Agree with all of that.

On the impenetrable thing -- well, sure, there are some impenetrable poems out there, but I don't think most poetry is particularly difficult to understand. Alas, though, I think some people think poetry and impenetrability are synonymous -- they see a poem and assume they're going to miss something when they read it (just because it's a poem).

I don't think I've ever posted a poem here without getting a rep from at least one non-poet member saying something on the order of "I just wanted to say I liked your poem, but I don't want to comment in the thread because I don't know anything about poetry and I probably have it all wrong." I always want to say, "I'm sure you don't have it wrong! Comment away -- the poem won't bite!"

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
I used to love reading poetry aloud, but I haven't attempted to write a poem in years. Until now, that is. This is my WIP.

Shake,
your butt.
Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle,
wiggle.
The pork chops are holograms,
the dog has a fake mustache
(roo? confused face).
Nothing is sacred.

So far, it's about post-Althusserian Marxism and the homogeneity of dialectic-consuming robots in a decaying society, but that just might go over your head unless you have an IQ of 300 like me.

I don't think I've ever posted a poem here without getting a rep from at least one non-poet member saying something on the order of "I just wanted to say I liked your poem, but I don't want to comment in the thread because I don't know anything about poetry and I probably have it all wrong." I always want to say, "I'm sure you don't have it wrong! Comment away -- the poem won't bite!"

I posted in your most recent thread.

Last edited:

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do song lyrics count as poetry?

Of course they do.

I am noticing how many people are uneasy about whether or not what they enjoy as poetry is really "poetry", or about something along those lines. And Roxxsmom, hope you don't mind my taking your question as an example because it is surely a legitimate question, but I thought you would not mind.

There is a way people seem to fear being judged for their taste in poetry, for their reactions to it. Maybe this only comes from the way poetry is often taught in schools, I don't know. But it's a real shame because quite often, when people get past their various concerns about whether they're getting it right or not, they end up finding they can simply enjoy poems. Not all poems! No one on the planet enjoys all poems. Not every poem is for every reader.

The thing about old white male poets is one of the ways we try to understand this issue, of why more people don't engage with poetry easily, as easily as they seem to do in other countries and cultures.... Some of my fave poems are by old dead white men. But not all of them are.

Eh, I'll shut up now. I still want to know from Juniper what poem(s) she's memorizing. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.