Status
Not open for further replies.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
I wanted to be a writer when I was a pre-teen. I wrote my own crappy stories. Not much longer I pretended as if my stories were RPGs or Adventure/Puzzle games.

Now, in my late 20s, I have the power to do both.

Yet, I have no finished works. Just the starting stages of game concepts or novels that never got very far.

This morning, when making a list of characters from two novels, I decided to draw and design their hairstyles. Then I thought of their weapon proficiencies...

Then a thought comes to my mind: This could be a fun RPG!

I get doubts of writing it as a novel.

It's not like I could choose one "path" over the other. I still want to publish a book one day, with my name on it; see it in stores.

I think that's why I procrastinate. Because I can't decide what to focus on first.

Also, I'm starting to believe that when I think of reading high fantasy novels, and even some futuristic/urban fantasy novels, I want to turn it into a game.

Maybe I've been trying to write the wrong genre!

I then think of other things I like: the mind, psychology. Odd, strange things that seem to have no explaination, but serve to mess with people's thinking or lives. Things that after an X amount of years, people are still trying to theorize it.

Slowly, I'm curious about magical realism.

A game series that comes to mind is Silent Hill.

A game series. I know I should read in whatever genre the above is. It might not be a genre.

I have ideas, but still. I can't shove any of the interested "paths" back.

So I procrastinate. >_<

gettingby

Registered
Reaction score
I think for some people it is instinctive to procrastinate. But realizing you are doing it can help you fix the problem. When I started writing fiction, I gave myself pretty strict deadlines, which helped me stay on track. I really wanted to write a short story a week for a year. But one bad week could have thrown the whole thing off if I lacked focus and determination. Give yourself goals or a schedule of sorts that will strengthen your focus and determination.

This writing thing takes a lot of determination. Procrastination is the enemy. Don't let the enemy win.

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
You're procrastinating because you don't want to do the work. This is why we all procrastinate. It's human nature.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you're indecisive, not procrastinating. Though you are procrastinating over making a decision, because you're unsure of which is the correct one. If you knew, wouldn't you get to work on it right away?

You sound like my father. He collected a million projects over the years. Several cars he wanted to piece into a drag car. His uncle's old truck to repair. A shed to make his own. Ect, ect. What stopped him was the question, "What is better to invest my time into?" Which, he never chose because he was too busy thinking of what he should do.

The thing about storytelling is that you can sink your time into a project and rework it into a different medium. So let's say you write a novel, game-inspired and all, and it doesn't feel right at the end of writing. It feels like it should be a game. Then, make it a game. You've got all this material, thought and worked out fully on paper. The story is done, you've just got to transfer it into game-form. Or visa-versa. But staying indecisive will just waste more time--time better spent writing or creating. Past that, to finish the work it take dedication to see it through.

Once!

Still confused by shoelaces
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.will-once.com
We procrastinate for many reasons. Sometimes we are afraid of getting it wrong. We think that we might not be good enough.

Sometimes we want it to be perfect ... and that can make finishing so very difficult, because nothing ever is perfect. Or they might be torn between two different approaches - a novel or an RPG?

Some people procrastinate because they like the ideas phase too much. Instead of completing anything they bounce from idea to idea. Because ideas are safe and comforting. You don't have to put your head above the parapet if all you deal in are ideas.

But here's the thing. Whatever particular brand of procrastination demon you have, you do eventually have to learn one thing ... finishing is what counts. You have got to get to the end and finish the damn thing. Whether it is great, middling or crap - learn to finish stuff.

I wrote a couple of blogs a while back about procrastination. They might help.

https://willonce.wordpress.com/2014/10/24/the-procrastination-demon/

https://willonce.wordpress.com/2014/10/28/the-procrastination-demon-2/

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
You're procrastinating because you don't want to do the work. This is why we all procrastinate. It's human nature.

I'd like to point out the folly of generalizing and assuming all persons experience the same things.

What you describe above sounds like what I would call simple delay - don't feel like working right now. But there are many people who delay for the same reasons that some others become alcoholics. It's a way of avoiding being fully present with oneself. Procrastinating with any kind of true desire fills that bill. Check out Underearners Anonymous to get a better idea of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.