Rejectomancy

Literateparakeet

Nerdy Budgie
Registered
Reaction score
Website
lesliesillusions.blogspot.com
Thanks Sea Witch!

Now, a dumb question. On Doutrope, I didn't know which to check form rejection or personal rejection. (I'm such a dork, LOL!) It said:

Dear Leslie,

Thank you for submitting to X magazine. Unfortunately, XYZ does not meet our needs at
this time. While we enjoyed elements of the story, ultimately it didn't quite win us over. Best of luck placing it elsewhere, and we hope to see another submission from you soon.

The Editors

This could easily be a form letter, computers can submit the names to make it seem more personal, right?

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Sea Witch!

Now, a dumb question. On Doutrope, I didn't know which to check form rejection or personal rejection. (I'm such a dork, LOL!) It said:

Dear Leslie,

Thank you for submitting to X magazine. Unfortunately, XYZ does not meet our needs at
this time. While we enjoyed elements of the story, ultimately it didn't quite win us over. Best of luck placing it elsewhere, and we hope to see another submission from you soon.

The Editors

This could easily be a form letter, computers can submit the names to make it seem more personal, right?

Generally it's not a personal response unless it actually mentions some detail/aspect of your story specifically. Form doesn't always mean distant. In fact, some are quite polite/encouraging.

There are exceptions. Some markets - like DSF - will just add a single line like "This made it to the second round" to an otherwise standard form. Those are usually "personal" in that they were telling you something specific to your story. (Even though they might tell other second round stories the same thing, but not always.) If that makes sense.

Whenever I'm in doubt, I just select the "Rejection" option. There is one that isn't "form" or "personal".

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Still some hope from Stupefying Stories. They said on Facebook they have 38 pending rejections and 31 pending acceptances. Unfortunately, they also have 10 subs sent before Jan 1st (mine is Dec 21st) that are still undecided.

I didn't realize they had so many monthly submissions, or that they accepted so many stories at one time. When they hit 9 a week ago, I figured that was it for awhile. Interesting little operation.

Personal R from ASIM. That's a rough one, only because the story is hard to place.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm waiting for an R from ASIM. How long was yours there?
Fifteen days. The longer it's there, the better. Even after it makes it to the third round (which could take months), it could take as much as three months for a decision after that.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
I'm waiting for an R from ASIM. How long was yours there?

I'm sitting on a hold request from ASIM at the moment. It was 16 days from submission to being told I'd made it to the second round, and a further 12 days to getting the hold request, if that helps.

Last edited:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sitting on a hold request from ASIM at the moment. It was 16 days from submission to being told I'd made it to the second round, and a further 12 days to getting the hold request, if that helps.
It helps me! Good to know they're a lot faster than I thought.

And a general comment to everyone who submitted to Borderlands 6, they finally rejected a submission! 141 days! Unfortunately mine is 126, so I have some time to go and it's obviously not past the slush.

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
It helps me! Good to know they're a lot faster than I thought.

And a general comment to everyone who submitted to Borderlands 6, they finally rejected a submission! 141 days! Unfortunately mine is 126, so I have some time to go and it's obviously not past the slush.

My Borderlands sub is at 125, but I'm concerned about whether or not they're going to read it; I posted it from the UK, and I have no way of knowing if they received it before the deadline was up. It was a relatively last minute submission, so I've been pretty anxious about that. (Not that they're going to buy it anyway :))

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
My Borderlands sub is at 125, but I'm concerned about whether or not they're going to read it; I posted it from the UK, and I have no way of knowing if they received it before the deadline was up.
I have the same worry, and I shipped it from the US. I already queried two weeks ago, too, so I can't ask even if they have it without feeling like a bother. Granted, they probably don't know, considering they have a stack of 700 stories to go through. Chances are, we'll only know if and when they accept or reject us.

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Received a "leveled up"-type of rejection (nicely done but not quite right for them...) from Asimov's tonight. Maybe it's just because this one wasn't hanging around in their queue for a long time for me to build my hopes up, but I actually mostly just feel good about this R.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Received a "leveled up"-type of rejection (nicely done but not quite right for them...)
Wow, that's pretty awesome. It seems weird to congrat an R, but I will say you shouldn't feel bad at all.

SmallThing

Eek!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
cosmicdriftwood.wordpress.com
Received a "leveled up"-type of rejection (nicely done but not quite right for them...) from Asimov's tonight. Maybe it's just because this one wasn't hanging around in their queue for a long time for me to build my hopes up, but I actually mostly just feel good about this R.

That's a great thing. :) Some rejections feel more like milestones than disappointments, I think.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
R from Apex for Call-Center. Did have Lynne Thomas' name at the bottom though. The rejection wiki seems to indicate that's higher tier (but it could be out of date).

Anyway. Sending it off to Strange Horizons Asimov's next.

ETA: Strange Horizons was past its daily acceptance quota. So, I'm trying something new.

Last edited:

cara

Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh got rejected by a magazine, my story was too insane apparently XD

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Ahhh got rejected by a magazine, my story was too insane apparently XD

Did they say "too insane"?

Hugs on the R. I just find it's best not to read into why a mag rejected the content of a story unless they spell it out. It can drive you batty. ;)

JenWriter

Word Count Slayer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jenhayley.com
Got my first personalized rejection today since I've begun submitting short stories. I don't know why, but I feel quite pleased about it.

Kitty27

So Goth That I Was Born Black
Registered
Reaction score
No word from the agency that requested my full. I'm taking it as a positive sign that the longer they take,the more consideration my MS is getting,lol.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Nothing but crickets here, which is fine with me: I'm on vacation and can't check my e-mail as often as I usually would. I do have a piece under review at Asimov's, so I'm eager to see what comes of that.

MeretSeger

The Alydar of Writers
Registered
Reaction score
Please tell me that the automatic submission systems don't show how many time the author has checked on their status. Because wowza. I'd keep me under review just to see how many times I'm capable of checking.