Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, SK. I found a new way to take pics of Haggisaurus.

125-alligator_chihuahua.jpg

Gator bait. :roll:
That poor dog doesn't look very happy about his owner's idea of humor.

Wicked, I think we would have been buddies in our youth. I used to carry around garter snakes all the time, and painted turtles and frogs and various other critters.

Most certainly. :) Although I never really outgrew it.

That guy holding the gator like a baby reminds me of those colicky newborn days....

Yeah, I was kind of expecting him to burp it. :tongue

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Most certainly. :) Although I never really outgrew it.

I didn't really outgrow it either, it's just getting harder to find them, what with all the sprawl eating up their habitat. Or maybe it's because I don't have time to look for them anymore. :(

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score

Hey, Haggis, if you are missing your twin, he's right here beside me! I can't believe how much this looks like my BB King.

We have no alligators here, but he gives horses and snakes both a good workout :) And he has a 'little' guard dog he orders around all day (Chow/Heeler mix)!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score

That one wins first place for best picture in this thread so far!

I haven't seen any alligators lately. Not sure what they've been up to. I did, however, come across an egret that was being robbed at gunpoint and heard someone say, "Stick 'em up!"

2-25-12121-SM-1.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it looks more like that know-it-all girl in the front row in elementary school. "I know, teacher, I know!"

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, I just happened to have one laying around on my desktop.

DSCN1583.jpg

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Thank you, Silver King. I was chasing her all around the flower bed when she finally stopped just long enough on the underside of this butterfly bush for me to take a quick snapshot before she flew off entirely (probably tired of the crazy giant stalking her with that black thing in her hand). Afterward I had to find out what kind of butterfly she was. I thought at first she was a Black Swallowtail, obviously by the color, but learned she was a black phase female Tiger Swallowtail.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Oo, butterflies! Lovely! You all are making me want to break out the old film camera again. I'm nowhere near as good as you, but I did love it.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Silver King. I was chasing her all around the flower bed when she finally stopped just long enough on the underside of this butterfly bush for me to take a quick snapshot before she flew off entirely (probably tired of the crazy giant stalking her with that black thing in her hand)...
I can picture you doing that, as it probably looks very similar to how I might appear while stalking butterflies. They are a challenge to photograph and hardly ever stay still long enough to frame just right. But that's what makes it so satisfying, and how after a lot of effort, when you've finally nailed that illusive photo, you can think, Aha! Gotcha.

My wife said something interesting to me a while back during one of our walks. I'd been trying to get a shot of a monarch with its wings opened and was having a rough time getting into position before it would flit away.

She could tell I was becoming frustrated and said, "Maybe the butterfly doesn't want its picture taken."

I didn't say anything, and we walked on.

"Come to think of it," she said, "you're like one those paparazzi people."

"Those what?"

"You know what I mean. But instead of bothering celebrities, you're a nature paparazzi."

It took a moment for that to sink in. Then I laughed and laughed. She was right, of course, but I kept right on laughing.

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Here are a couple of shots of a Red Admiral on an echinacea:

RedAdmiralonechinaceaPrimadonna37-1.jpg

RedAdmiralonechinaceaPrimadonna7-12.jpg

And one of a Spring Azure (or Summer Azure, I can't tell them apart)

ShastaCrazyDaisySpringAzure.jpg

And a Lesser Maple Spanworm Moth

LesserMapleSpanwormmoth7-12-10.jpg

A Monarch caterpillar, one of several last year I found on my milkweed plants

MonarchCatA8-7-11.jpg

And one of four Black Swallowtail cats I found munching away on my bronze fennel I grew just for them

BlackSwallowtailcat8-14-11.jpg

Oops! Last picture is a wee bit big. Sorry!

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I'm sure this has been asked before, but why are butterflies called butterflies rather than flutterbys? Because that's what they do.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
because who doesn't like butter?
:)