Charlie and the Nature Factory [Warning: Stunningly Beautiful Large Photo Images]

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Grainy. I took it with my iPhone so that the camera flash wouldn't bother them. Can't figure out how to shut that flash off!

Also, those babies have BIG mouths!

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You can only see two little beaks in this picture, but the other guy is back there. Every time I go anywhere near the nest, these guys pop up, mouths open. I have to sneak to the window to see them with their mouths shut, and pictures would be impossible. This is pretty cute, though. :D

IMG_0557.jpg

We need a "Like" smilie on AW... Well, there is this one, I guess :Thumbs:

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
stainedglassinthenight.wordpress.com
Aw, they're getting so big!

Okay, I need your bird expert brains in here. I'm shocked right now because I woke up to this in my yard about 6 feet from my deck door (In the center of Fargo, ND where we have no foresty areas or bodies of water).

osprey.jpg

IS THAT AN OSPREY? Or do I just have ospreys on the brain because of SK's photos? He's now hanging out in that tree to the right and I can't get a better shot with my cell phone.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
You can only see two little beaks in this picture, but the other guy is back there. Every time I go anywhere near the nest, these guys pop up, mouths open. I have to sneak to the window to see them with their mouths shut, and pictures would be impossible. This is pretty cute, though. :D

IMG_0557.jpg

Aw! How cute! I love baby birds.

Aw, they're getting so big!

Okay, I need your bird expert brains in here. I'm shocked right now because I woke up to this in my yard about 6 feet from my deck door (In the center of Fargo, ND where we have no foresty areas or bodies of water).

osprey.jpg

IS THAT AN OSPREY? Or do I just have ospreys on the brain because of SK's photos? He's now hanging out in that tree to the right and I can't get a better shot with my cell phone.
Hmm. That might actually be a cooper's hawk. They're quite prevalent in residential areas because they hunt other birds, and birds flock to feeders that we provide. It's like an all-you-can-eat buffet for them.

Here's a closer picture of one.

coopers_hawk_F5R7994-01.jpg

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I think you're right, LadyV. The tail feathers look almost identical and the coloring is a perfect match.

I think SK's invaded my mind with all his ospreys! :D

Still, a strange thing to wake up to. We're known for our Falcons here (mainly downtown where all the bigger buildings are) but I've never seen a bird of prey hanging out in the courtyard of an apartment before!

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
It looks like a Cooper's hawk to me too. We have one or two that fly around the neighborhood. Saw one go after a bird at the neighbor's bird feeder once.

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
It looks like a Cooper's hawk to me too. We have one or two that fly around the neighborhood. Saw one go after a bird at the neighbor's bird feeder once.
I've watched one snatch a bluejay and another a sparrow. I was actually sitting on the back porch when it took the sparrow.

AbielleRose

Crazy Cat Lady
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Oh wow! Really? That's one thing that I hate about nature, the harshness f it. I love happy endings and things that get along and... oh dear... there's a reason I write kids stories.

One of my favorite local birds to watch are orioles. They're such vain little things! I love how they'll perch on car mirrors and just hang out and look at themselves. :D Such funny little birds.

The hawk came back for another round and I got a decent pic of him looking at the camera but its still on my cell phone and not the best quality. He was pecking at the ground rather intensely so my guess is he was hunting for a mouse.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Grainy. I took it with my iPhone so that the camera flash wouldn't bother them. Can't figure out how to shut that flash off!

Also, those babies have BIG mouths!

Love the chicks, Jude! Funny how excited I get waiting to see pics of them. Hope you'll post more soon. :)

...IS THAT AN OSPREY? Or do I just have ospreys on the brain because of SK's photos?.

You're right, AR, and must have ospreys on the brain. I do also, in the worst way. ;)

It's a red-shouldered hawk in your courtyard, I think. Here's a closer view of one that should look very similar to the bird you've seen:

7-16-12018-SM.jpg

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
While stalking osprey that didn't cooperate too well, I came across a rare find: a reddish egret. I'd never seen one live before, as they're quite rare in Florida. At one time they were completely wiped out of the state and existed only in Texas on this side of the Americas:

8-12-12047-SM.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Love those pics, Dino. Those colors are amazing.

Now I know what color shirt will look good with my new jeans..

LadyV

Tree Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
While stalking osprey that didn't cooperate too well, I came across a rare find: a reddish egret. I'd never seen one live before, as they're quite rare in Florida. At one time they were completely wiped out of the state and existed only in Texas on this side of the Americas:

8-12-12047-SM.jpg
Oh, that bird is beautiful. It looks so alien.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
You get That Look a lot, don't you? :D
I'm so used to the look by now that it doesn't even hurt my feelings anymore. ;)

Oh, I've never seen the reddish egret before. What a beautiful bird!

Oh, that bird is beautiful. It looks so alien.

The photos I shared are washed out somewhat by too much sunlight and makes the bird's colors appear duller than they were in real life. The blues of her wings were especially bold and vibrant, a combination of hues that was breathtaking and almost unreal to behold.

Up next, snowy egrets feeding in shallow water while making a splash. :)

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful bird! Never knew they existed. Good catch, SK!

Thank you. :)

After that encounter, I'd set my sights on snowy egrets and waded out to a mud flat where they were feeding. It took them a while to get used to my presence, but eventually they ventured close enough for some decent shots.

In shallow water, the snowy egret often stands on one leg while shuffling its other foot along the bottom to help flush their prey into the open. Then it strikes, lightning fast, stabbing its head below the surface to capture a morsel. As the head reappears, the resulting splash is often dramatic and fun to watch.

Another long series, and apologies in advance to those who might be following along with slow Internet speeds:

8-12-12214-SM.jpg

8-12-12265-SM.jpg

8-12-12289-SM.jpg

8-12-12248-SM.jpg

8-12-12303-SM.jpg

8-12-12299-SM.jpg

swachski

checking the 'reset' box
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I only have three words to describe those pics...stunning, stunninger, stunningest...