Winter Olympics - sports discussion

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I have no idea what you are talking about......

Suline is a language of one of the First Nations, isn't it? How is that the opposite of a chicken?

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Anyway..... to get back on topic....

Canada are doing pretty well in the curling so far.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm watching the curling from earlier and (spoiler) I've just seen a 7 scored in one end. Never seen that before!

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Haven't caught the curling. Was watching the short program figure skating. The Russians are looking to be the ones to beat after the qualifying round. Can you rep me who got the seven in one end? Womens or mens?

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Crud. I accidentally saw a spoiler. I've been trying to not learn results before watching the prime-time NBC coverage, but . . . I saw that Shaun White failed to medal and am very disappointed. I love Shaun White and now I'm not sure I can watch tonight! Damn.

ETA: Un-spoilered because this was shown on US TV last night. Still majorly bummed. I feel like Shaun White probably needs a big ole hug right now.

Last edited:

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
Poor Bob Costas. (He's our TV anchorman for US viewers.) I knew something was up when I saw him wearing glasses. Sure, enough he got pink eye in his left eye. Now it's spread to his right. He's being replaced for Matt Lauer for a time until Costas heals up. I really like him as an anchor.

Jersey Chick

Up all night to get Loki
Registered
Reaction score
in the state of carefully controlled chaos
Website
www.kimberlynee.com
Bob Costas is a hot mess right now. But I'd still rather listen to him (he who I've dubbed "Captain Obvious") than Matt Lauer.

NBC already spoiled the snowboarding for me. That's the problem with the Olympics being held so far away from the US - I always find out who won/lost ahead of time, no matter how hard I try not to. Rats.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying listening to the curling at the moment. The GB / Canada women are having a right tussle!

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Caught the tenth end on the webstream before I went to work. I was surprised by how many flashes were thrown. That is not what we usually see from the Canadian rink. Of course the officials had to really stuff it up for Britain. I have to commend Britain going for the triple-takeout with their hammer to take three, but not when you only need to take out one for the double.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Spoiler: Yeah, I was a bit annoyed about that as well. We need the wins against the big teams.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Just heard on the news that there will be bars open in town for those us who want to watch the gold medal game in men's hockey, serving alcohol. That is, they will open up their bars at 5 am.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
But I totally want to light the skid on fire!

Saw Australia get a medal. Don't know if it was silver or bronze, but it was in the women's half-pipe snowboard.

Xelebes

Delerium ex Ennui
Registered
Reaction score
Norway put good pressure on Canada in men's hockey.

Saw the men's short program in figure skating. The Japan skater was very solid as he set a world record there but Patrick Chan, whose only fault was a bowed-knee landing but did bigger jumps such as the quad, is still very much in the race.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
That young Japanese skater won the gold yesterday by default. They all skated like they didn't want to win it.

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
I love the BBC but sometimes.....

Right now, I have BBC 2 and 2 digital channels showing the Olympics. All 3 channels are showing ice hockey. In fact, 2 of the channnels are showing exactly the same game! WTF BBC?

There's speed skating on!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Just heard on the news that there will be bars open in town for those us who want to watch the gold medal game in men's hockey, serving alcohol. That is, they will open up their bars at 5 am.

Yay for Edmonton, and its apparently trustworthy citizens! The B.C. government has already given a thumbs-down to late-openings here for the special occasion. Although they may relent at the last minute?

I am not much of a Winter Olympics fan, but tonight I was watching the CBC highlights, and saw the Winter Games the way they should be: it was snowing, giant flakes pounding down on the biatheletes and the snowboarders. It was magic, it was the way it should be.
Unlike the Vancouver Winter Olympics, where we trucked in show from Alberta. :rant: If you can't get reliable snow, you should stick to the Summer Games.
Oh. I forgot Vancouver's contribution to summer sport: rain. Not that it always rains in Vancouver, but I wouldn't bet an international event against it.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I'm really enjoying listening to the curling at the moment. The GB / Canada women are having a right tussle!
And, apparently they're playing each other in the semi-finals today! (Wednesday the 18th here) Good luck to all, and may the best team (on the day) win!