Host?

cwidger

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to move my blogs to a wordpress.org site. I also have a domain with GoDaddy, which I realize wasn't the best idea. I didn't do a lot of research before I paid for it. Now, I need to find a host.

I have been looking at Futurequest. I noticed someone in the forums mentioned DreamHost, but that post was a bit older.

Since I have started posting more frequently, my traffic has started to increase. I would like to move them before I continue posting. I understand that I should not use GD for my host. Now, I just need to decide which host to use.

If anyone could give me an idea of which would be better and why, I would truly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance!

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
You could let Wordpress host the site and change the DNS on GoDaddy to point all traffic to the sites at Wordpress.

There are video tutorials available on Youtube and at GoDaddy to walk you through that.

All of that said, deciding where/what to use to host a site depends on several factors, including but not limited to:

Your technical proficiency, inquisitiveness and patience.
What kind of content you are hosting.
Are you going to do retail from the site (as opposed to just have links to BN/Amazon/whoever.) AND what kind of merchandise you are selling, from where.
The amount of traffic you reasonably predict over the course of the next year +.

Ideally, you pay for the bandwidth/services you use, but not bandwidth/services you don't.

Last edited:

Userc16

Registered
Reaction score
Website
ssdpress.com
The reason so many people say use Dreamhost is because they pay $97 per referral. Not surprising.

I've never been with them, but my advice for finding a quality host (read: reliable) is to:
1. Contact support, and see how quickly they reply. Both during working and non-working hours.
2. See if they oversell. As the Google definition spells out, it's not something you want much of, if any at all.
3. Don't go for 'unlimited' this and 'unlimited' that. If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. In the world of computers and computation, everything is finite.
4. If you do chose a host, make sure YOU (not the host) have a backup plan. Their backups may fail and their servers go down. If that's the case, you may want to change hosts. In which case, you have your own backups. Yes I have lost data to hosts who have offered 'backups' in the past. It was painful.

Good luck. Always happy to lend a hand with this sort of stuff (Comp Sci student :))

Last edited:

Richard Headley

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Website
inlinehostblogger.com
I think HostGator will do your job. They are as reliable as hell and their up time touches the Hundred mark most part of the year. Even i have domain name in Godaddy , It doesn't matter much . Hosting matter's the most. You can purchase a host from HostGator and copy the DNS adress provided by the HostGator and then Copy that DNS in the Godadyy domain control panel. There are many tutorials in youtube that describe how to change our DNS . That will do the work for you.

cwidger

Registered
Reaction score
Wordpress.org does not offer hosting. I'm not interested in using Wordpress.com. I will not be selling anything right away, so I do not need the SSL security certificate at the moment. The content will be mainly text, with some pictures here and there. It won't include anything that requires a lot of space. I'm not sure about the traffic, but I would like a place that allows me to do a simple upgrade as it grows.

My expertise is fine for programming and setting it up, but thank you for the recommendations. I've already been through setting everything up when I tested another host. I'm going to use a FTP to transfer everything needed for my blogs. I've been through that before also. So, I have a good understanding on how to get everything going. I'm not an expert, but will be fine.

Specifically, I am just wondering if anyone has experience with Futurequest hosting. I can't seem to find much on them. I found them through a website dedicated to creating websites, programming languages, etc. It's an excellent resource. They use FQ, but I would like to do a bit more digging before I go with them. The lowest priced package is about $9.00/month, so I want to be sure before I "dive" into their plan.

I don't know anything about Dreamhost, but noticed recommendations and figured I would ask.

I hope this helps clarify. I should have included it in my original post. My apologies.

Thank you!

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think HostGator will do your job.
I'll echo this. I have my Wordpress sites at HostGator and they work wonderfully. Decent tech support and perfect reliability.

I also host sites at OrcsWEB.com. You will not like their pricing unless you are really serious but they are, by far, the best host on the planet. Of course, their clients are Ford, Microsoft, Toyota and so on, not Joe Writer and his Wordpress blog.

Jeff

cwidger

Registered
Reaction score
I also host sites at OrcsWEB.com. You will not like their pricing unless you are really serious but they are, by far, the best host on the planet. Of course, their clients are Ford, Microsoft, Toyota and so on, not Joe Writer and his Wordpress blog.

Jeff

Right... Well, I'm currently Jill Writer and her WP blog. So, I'm willing to pay $9.00/month, but $99+/month is more than I wish to pay. It's not business savvy at this point. I would be spending more than what I am bringing in. It could be an option in the future, you never know. I'll bookmark it for now.

Smoke82

Registered
Reaction score
I think HostGator will do your job. They are as reliable as hell and their up time touches the Hundred mark most part of the year. Even i have domain name in Godaddy , It doesn't matter much . Hosting matter's the most. You can purchase a host from HostGator and copy the DNS adress provided by the HostGator and then Copy that DNS in the Godadyy domain control panel. There are many tutorials in youtube that describe how to change our DNS . That will do the work for you.

I agree. I use HostGator, as well and they are pretty good with informing several days in advance of maintenance taking place several days and at what time.

They also use CPanel whereas GoDaddy uses that nightmare multi-treed layered mess of a website to manage online assets. I am glad I don't use them anymore.