I'm going with Uruguay over Germany.

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
So, Mexico rightly won. two crazy off-side decisions.

Right, onto some logical footie at 8.
i'm sorry, I'm used to crazy referee decisions in the World Cup, but this is getting ridiculous.

Not one but two perfectly valid goals for Mexico disallowed. The first one was close, and I can see the linesmen getting it wrong – that's part of the game. But the second disallowed goal was absurd.

Two games, four bad officiating decisions two of which were incomprehensible.

msza45

New Fish; Stuck on the Dang Hook
Registered
Reaction score
Croatia should beat both Mexico and Cameroon. The tricky game will be against Mexico though.

I'd rather count the chickens that have already hatched rather than the ones that "should." Especially with these refs! Cameroon is the weak link but Mex-Croatia could go either way.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
You didn't take into account that the Netherlands have a tendency to implode in big competitions.

It's for fun; I'm no expert, just a fan of the competition. And it's boring to not pick any upsets.

But the Netherlands are still one of only two teams to make it to the finals in the previous World Cup. That's better than every other team in the competition, aside from Spain of course...

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
But the Netherlands are still one of only two teams to make it to the finals in the previous World Cup. That's better than every other team in the competition, aside from Spain of course...

That makes absolutely no sense, Rob. When you say 'finals' do you mean the actual World Cup, as in what happens after qualifying? Or the final of the World Cup competition, as in the last game?

Cos it is very rare that the same two teams are in the final two WCs running.

And before you bring up the result of this game on at the moment, anyone who has followed football for a long time knows that Holland have a habit of starting really well and then imploding into rows and walkouts and bad play. I'm not saying they definitely will this time, but it's something to keep in mind.

Most people are calling Chile the outside chance

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
Well, who'd a thunk? This is the Spanish team that won a Euro, then a WC, then a Euro.... isn't it?

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
5-1 could so easily have been more. Spain just fell apart in the second half.

msza45

New Fish; Stuck on the Dang Hook
Registered
Reaction score
Terrible reffing aside, this WC is off to a great start. 11 goals in 3 games!

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
That makes absolutely no sense, Rob. When you say 'finals' do you mean the actual World Cup, as in what happens after qualifying? Or the final of the World Cup competition, as in the last game?
"One of only two teams to make the finals" obviously can't mean anything other than the last game. "One of only two teams." And I noted the other team to do the same was Spain. Because Spain played the Netherlands in the finals of the last World Cup in 2010. Spain won, 1-0.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Just said by the Aussie commentators: "The first six or seven minutes were looking very positive for the Socceroos, but ...."