a quickie battery question

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm superstitious about batteries, I guess. I found this on yahoo answers a few minutes ago.

if you don't want to use your battery for a long time,use your battery from 100% to 50% and remove your battery.Or you can keep your cable connected to your laptop with your battery connected(both methods are good) if your battery is nimh or lithium ion they don't have a memory and when they are to 100% the laptop only use the a/c adapter,your battery is not used and you can keep it connected.

Does that ring true? I don't like to keep lappy plugged in forever, but I don't like to charge and drain and charge and drain either.

Any words of battery wisdom would be appreciated.

Cella

Cella
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:roll:

Most awesomest thread title ever.

:roll:

Ahem.

I'll show myself out.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Cray! Cray! He's our guy!
If he can't do it, we might as well hang up our jockstraps because we're seriously @#&%ed.

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This might be the first Tech Help thread that gets sent to the Humor forum . . .

I'm tempted to post a joke or two myself.

Kylabelle

unaccounted for
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This might be the first Tech Help thread that gets sent to the Humor forum . . .

I'm tempted to post a joke or two myself.

Red Alert!

DANGER DANGER

Heavy Pun Warning!

take shelter immediately

robjvargas

Rob J. Vargas
Banned
Reaction score
Wait, this isn't Ero... no, it's not. Okay, WHEW!

Lithium-based batteries don't like to stay fully charged. Over time, the plates can get brittle. If that happens, they tend to break from the metallic grids and reduce battery life. Lenovo actually programs a "conserve battery" mode into the power settings of Windows that regularly drains and charges the battery.

At the same time, there's a tiny little microchip that performs some basic power management. Like shutting the battery off. If a Li-Ion battery ever gets to 0% charge, fully and completely discharged, it won't come back. Like, ever.

It's really hard to fully discharge, though. You have to repeatedly fight that act of turning off.

That "50% rule" for longer term storage of batteries is a good idea. A Li-ion can still discharge, but it takes quite a while, months, I think.

fivetoesten

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't mean that kind of quickie! Wow, I was inadvertently funny. With a face like mine it's surprising that doesn't happen more often. :)

As for the actually battery (of the non-Eveready power-your-computer variety) part, thanks guys. Tell me if my interpretation of what you said is wrong. I can let lappy's battery drain, and keep lappy plugged in, both without worrying about it. Right? Got it.

note to self: never include the words "battery" or "quickie" in a post...

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Flashy GIF thingy warning ahead:

104807_original.gif