• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Ellora's Cave Publishing, Inc.

BarbaraSheridan

*insert catchy phrase here*
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbarasheridan.com
More significantly, there's no mention of the dates the statement covers. I mean, there's a date OF the statement, and for once it's actually reasonable based on the date of the postmark - it's my April 1 statement, postmarked April 3, received April 10. Fair enough.

But there's no mention of what sales period the statement covers.Based on previous statements I could ASSUME it's for December 2014, but considering who I'm dealing with, I'd really like to have it spelled out, and it isn't.

An email went out on this from Raelene.

For the December statements, the royalty month was inadvertently not printed on the statement. We will have that corrected by the January 2015 statements.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
An email went out on this from Raelene.

For the December statements, the royalty month was inadvertently not printed on the statement. We will have that corrected by the January 2015 statements.

Thanks!

Apparently the e-mail only went out to some, though. I'm not on their author loop, but my e-mail address is the same as when I started with them.

Sigh.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I've very new to this thread. Can anybody encapsulate what's happened with EC? Is it a matter of non-royalty payments or a full tilt meltdown going on here?

Just curious and, of course, concerned.

tri

Hard to say, for sure. I mean, for me, if a company isn't paying the royalties they owe that IS a full-tilt meltdown, (but they are currently, for me at least, more-or-less UTD on royalties.) According to EC themselves, there's absolutely nothing wrong.

I'm not really sure I could summarize all of what everyone ELSE thinks is wrong. If you're thinking of submitting to EC, my advice would be DON'T. If you're just sort of generally interested? Find an hour and read over the thread from August or so. It's got some pretty good details.

VoireyLinger

Angel Wing Fetish
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.voireylinger.com
And back to the traditional EC issues - just got my latest EC royalty statement, and the format's a bit different. New font, slightly different layout, whatever.

More significantly, there's no mention of the dates the statement covers. I mean, there's a date OF the statement, and for once it's actually reasonable based on the date of the postmark - it's my April 1 statement, postmarked April 3, received April 10. Fair enough.

But there's no mention of what sales period the statement covers.Based on previous statements I could ASSUME it's for December 2014, but considering who I'm dealing with, I'd really like to have it spelled out, and it isn't.

So I thought I'd contact them to ask for clarification. My old editor, of course, is gone, so I can't go through her. So I went to the EC site to look for contact information. There's a link for "staff and editors" which sounds promising, except... when I click it, I get sent back to the EC home page. No staff list, no contact information.

So this post has two purposes. One, the standard WTF EC?!? Two, though - does anyone have an e-mail address for someone in EC management/bookkeeping/statement-making? Anyone?

This one isn't out of the blue. There was a statement sent out on the biz loop last week concerning the new format and it has email contact information. If you're not set up to get daily digest or all email from that loop, at least check in at the loop site. Despite the WTFery, there is still important business information being sent.

Last edited:

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
This one isn't out of the blue. There was a statement sent out on the biz loop last week concerning the new format and it has email contact information. If you're not set up to get daily digest or all email from that loop, at least check in at the loop site. Despite the WTFery, there is still important business information being sent.

Can you give me that contact information?

I'm not on the biz loop.

WritesTooMuch

Registered
Reaction score
I've very new to this thread. Can anybody encapsulate what's happened with EC? Is it a matter of non-royalty payments or a full tilt meltdown going on here?

Just curious and, of course, concerned.

tri

Aside from royalty disputes, there are many other issues: key members of staff have been let go, including pretty much the entire editorial team as it was. When you receive an email explaining that your publisher is letting go of nearly the entire editing staff in one broad stroke, it doesn't incite feelings of faith in that company's solvency. It didn't help that said email attempted (ineffectually, I might add) to convince the authors that having a smaller editorial staff and no longer having editors assigned to each author is actually a good thing for the authors.

Other staff members, like the social media associate, disappeared from staff as well. Now, the person who runs the EC Twitter account types weird, nonsensical things like "S.H.I.T --- So Happy Its Thursday smile emoticon," and "Good Morning. Is there anything y'all would like new from use book genre, calendars, etc? We love your input readers smile :)" not to mention the use of misspelled hashtags like "#yourwelcome". If you publish books, you should not be littering your social media accounts with typos and misspellings. It looks highly unprofessional.

The person in charge of distributing EC titles for reviews is also long gone, with EC directing authors to now handle this process on their own in another email that basically said "she realized she's obsolete, it was her own choice, this is really for the best, etc."

And EC is inexplicably selling random trinkets on their website while their list of new releases, once multiple pages long, now yields only 11 results. Regardless of the reason for the shocking lack of upcoming releases, it's not a good sign.

Add to this the way EC management--Jaid Black in particular--has conducted itself in the wake of all these troubling developments. Ms. Black et al began a public campaign of finger-pointing, putting the blame for the company's weak sales and other issues on the new royalty software, lying authors, lying and/or disgruntled former employees, Amazon, Dear Author, and pretty much everyone else they can think of other than themselves. There have been numerous rants about gossips, haters, "witch hunts,", disloyal authors, etc. posted all over social media accounts and blogs for anyone to read. Again, not the way any company should behave in a public forum, least of all a company going through so much turmoil.

As an aside, to be fair, I do think that some of what Ms. Black has said/done has been misrepresented (notably the Dear Author post about her "security detail" Facebook rant, which I believe to have been sarcastic and not at all threatening). But the evidence of her bad behavior is strewn all over the internet, written exclusively by her.

In my opinion, EC is a company that is led by management incapable of accepting any part in their failure, which is ultimately its biggest downfall of all. Contacting the royalty department results in an auto reply something along the lines of "We're really busy but we hope to get back to you in 2-3 weeks." Checks are getting smaller and smaller and again, whatever the reason for this, it's not a good sign.

So yeah, this is the long way of saying full tilt meltdown.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
A quick search of just the pegasus box showed multiple versions from other vendors under trade names of 'Rucinni' or 'Cristani' trinket boxes. Retail price varies from $25 to $60; a decorator I know was able to find them in a wholesaler's catalog for around $7 to $10 depending on decoration.

I looked this up because a non-giftware company selling stuff like this is pretty much a retail form of jumping the shark. My fave jewelry making supplier is going through a ten-year decline, beginning with boxes like this, cheap imported jewelry sets, and cheap stone beads and components marketed as something better than dyed chalk.

The average customer isn't going to know better, but experts will. I can't imagine why a *publisher* is getting into jumped-up yard sale merchandise.

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
I looked this up because a non-giftware company selling stuff like this is pretty much a retail form of jumping the shark.
I absolutely agree.This reminds me of the odd things Borders desperately stocked before their final demise (Bouncy light up glitter balls? Sure, all bookstores should sell those...).

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
The trinkets (yeah, WTH?) aren't a new thing. This post is from October 2014:

3) I signed contracts with EC in 2013 under the belief that EC would provide marketing support. Using their website to sell cheap trinkets that have NOTHING to do with the EC brand? Alienating the entire romance community with a lawsuit against Dear Author and Jane Litte? Riling up book reviewers, bloggers and readers so badly that they have put EC books on their “DO NOT TOUCH WITH BARGE POLE” lists?

http://www.lolitalopezbooks.com/news/elloras-cave-the-grabbed-series-notchilled

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I saw this sort of thing with a charming co-op gallery I'd joined a few years back. All was well, good quality art presented well and selling well, until the gallery lost a few too many members, and sales tanked in the recession. They started leasing wall space to artists who were not ready for Prime Time. It looked awful, cheapened the rest of the venue, and began to drive away walk-in traffic and our regular collectors. The end came when the property owner raised the rent, and the gallery folded.

When you run a business, be very careful about how and why you expand. If it's not a logical sideline, it can do immense damage to your core brand.

The trinkets are a tiny proportion of all the other Wrong Things EC's been doing. But they do seem symptomatic of the random flailing that failing businesses often attempt.

Last edited:

kristin724

Registered
Reaction score
Website
kristinbattestella.blogspot.com
Wow this is sad to hear. :(

I thought EC really jumped the shark when they went full tilt with that Teen Mom thinly veiled sex semi autobiographical Farrah whatever book. I remember discussing it in the facebook comments with fellow authors that felt EC was selling out and that it wasn't what was expected or necessary of such a longstanding epub brand- in some case THE big epub brand.

Maybe they made some seriously bad deals and investments that necessitated axing the staff and selling sidewares? Either way, those are bad signs, like when the bookstore drops half the staff and starts all the grab gift merchandise and less book stock.

Is this writing on the wall? Sad if so. There are certainly other longstanding romance epubs but no EC would be a big void to fill. I have to catch up with the back pages though. Pity.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see Ellora's Cave listed under any of the sponsored parties for RT Booklovers, but they are slated for a publisher's spotlight on Wednesday afternoon. There's another panel at that time I want to attend; otherwise, I'd be there in a heartbeat to play fly on the wall.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I plan to watch the RT hashtag to see if anyone live tweets the EC publisher's spotlight.

BenPanced

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can see leaving it up if there's some sort of recap with pictures or something, but it's just registration and program information about last year's event.

Last edited:

EvolvingK

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.rebeccacroteau.com
AztecLady was kind enough to loan me some blog space to mention that my new, non EC book was out, and she asked if I'd be willing to mention in a few places that she's happy to do the same for other EC authors who are finding new spaces to share their stories. I am definitely willing to do so, and have now so done. <3

Michele Mills

Registered
Reaction score
If a person were to get an offer out of the blue from EC, say 14 months after the initial submission, do any of you think this would be something to jump on? Are there signs of life in EC? Does anyone think EC is going to right the ship and come out of this? I used to love them so much...read so many books by them back in the day...