• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] A+B Works (Amy Jameson)

redwing

Youngest Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Fiji (not really, I just like the name Fiji. I'm f
Plus, I see that other people that have queried this agency got responses to their partials, fulls and such within only a few days. Maybe McKenzie is working with another project?
Oh, and thanks for your advice. Y'all are really experienced, and it really does help me out a lot.

Last edited:

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I'm not that experienced - I have one book published - but I have been hanging around with industry professionals long enough to get a basic feel for how the business works.

My gut instinct, if this applied to my work, would be to thank Solstice for their interest, but tell them I am removing the mms from the market at this time. Nothing else said.

I'd look at my to-be-queried agent list, and my query itself. Weed out the former and refine the latter, then send out small batches of queries every month or couple of months. If the book is strong enough to get a legitimate offer from Solstice, it will catch other publishers' interest.

I would not start querying publishers until I'd gone through potential agents. This also means identifying those agents who might be amenable to advising on a contract when you do get an offer - that's how I found my current agent. Some agents won't work on contracts they didn't shop around from the beginning, so pay attention to their blogs and guidelines. Some agents who are closed to unsolicited queries are more approachable when an author has a contract offer worth the agent's interest.

If I had no agent interest (and I stopped querying for one book when I hit the 75-agents-and-no-dice stage), then I'd apply some more market research for publishers. I'd try to identify strong mid-range or big publishers open to unagented queries. That means they are stable, they have a good industry reputation, they have a fair number of authors selling well, and their management is sane. You'd be surprised how important that is.

This process takes time.

redwing

Youngest Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Fiji (not really, I just like the name Fiji. I'm f
That's why I was shocked to receive something from Solstice. My strategy is going through every possibility on P&E alphabetically…
I got rejected by 40 agencies (though I'm still waiting to hear back from one that has a reply to all concept. They said three months, it's been five…they'll reply eventually. If they don't, it must not be right for them).
Truthfully, I think I'd have a lot of trouble finding an agency I didn't already submit to. But you make a really good point. I'll think about it.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
There you go, the power of positive thinking! As long as the offers are coming from reasonable publishers, you are in great shape.

Sometimes, the publishing journey is full of strange detours. I still thank fate that I got a rejection from a publisher who appeared fine, but had a meltdown around the time my debut novel was published by a far more sane and professional house. The rejection stung while I was still querying, but it makes me smile now.

The Hybrid

Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking into querying these guys and am wondering who they represent so I can get an idea of how well they do.
Thanks!

Krista G.

AW Addict
Registered
Reaction score
I'm looking into querying these guys and am wondering who they represent so I can get an idea of how well they do.
Thanks!

Ms. Jameson's leading client is probably Jessica Day George, and she also worked with Shannon Hale when Ms. Hale was first starting out. I think Ms. Jameson purposely keeps her list quite small, so if you can't find many clients, that's probably because there aren't that many. :)