• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Breathless Press / Lycaon Press (Justyn Perry)

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Brantwijn Serrah: You know a lot about the inner workings of the company considering you're just an author with them( I mean no disrespect saying that). Do they usually make all that info public knowledge? I am glad however that your experience has been good.

I'll admit to knowing very little about the inner workings of my publishers other than what they post on author message boards or through word of mouth.

Brantwijn Serrah

Registered
Reaction score
I explained how I learned of each matter.

Those things which pertained to my royalties and contracts are obviously my own information.

I spoke with the lead editor myself when it was announced she was leaving. She explained her own situation to me.

I spoke with Leona when she was let go. She explained to me then it had been over a disagreement in editing styles.

I quoted my own contract in regards to rights and payment deadlines. I should say I suppose other author contracts may differ from mine, but to the best of my knowledge the terms I quoted are standard terms.

I was personally present when the one post regarding individual rights was posted, then removed. I read the original post myself, then read the one Justyn posted afterwards.

As for my statements about general business practices (discussing private matters privately, and why it is more prudent to do so), that is simple experience on my part, having worked, as I said, in Human Resources.

As I said, Justyn and the BP team have often let it be known they are available to speak to authors who have concerns. They are very ethical--at least, I have found them so--in NOT discussing individual's private matters or business with others in the group.

Did I miss anything?

Leona

Registered
Reaction score
Brantwijn, you were given a very sanitized version as a fellow author. And that is what you will remain. Although, as you have some credentials, what would you do if your editor continuously told you something that was wrong. I don't mean once, but every single time, although you could prove BY THE PUBLISHING HOUSE'S OWN STYLE BOOK, that they were wrong. If you then complained up the chain, to have them back that up? I'm not going to get into the details of all that, but it wasn't a matter of editing style, but a matter of me refusing to continue to edit and have my books edited in a manner that I knew to be incorrect. I personally love the head editor who decided to stay after all. As an HR person, I'm sure you can appreciate that I didn't go into details with you as my intentions have always been to build authors, not make them feel bad.

As for the audio rights, I have a screenshot of Justyn telling me he had already asked for the rights back for another author whom had wanted her rights back as her rights were up for the 3 years. In that convo, he. when I asked if he'd asked Audible for them back, also said the reply of Audible, whom he told people later to "just ask for them back" as you've confirmed here, had refused siting breach of contract. Which is why I then got involved when he started saying we could simply as for our rights back. He already knew we can't. He gave away/signed away 7 years of audio rights, when all contracts before June of this year said 3. He changed it in June--oddly enough the same month he told me audible refused to let him/the author have their rights back.

As an editor, I have been there for my writers. In my mind, my job wasn't just to edit the books, but build the author, to help them be great, with each manuscript cleaner, crisper, and better written than the last. (Perhaps the style issue you mean.) I've discussed plots with my author, including giving a complete plot to another author (whom also happens to be your editor), from which she's built a successful series. I am there with their questions, answer via email, FB, etc. I'm there when they discuss characterizations, etc, even if I had no idea where they were sending their books too. Each editor is their personal self in how much extra they can (day jobs etc) or will give to their authors above and beyond, which is true of any house.

Also, as for royalties, Here is a quote from my email dated 7/10/2013 regarding books put out July, August, November, December 2012. In their responses to previous emails, they explained how Amazon is five months behind, but it wasn't just Amazon.

I am asking about Bookstrand royalties for 2012, Quarters 3 & 4.
I saw my information on Ravaged, etc. But Ravaged shows ARe Q4, and nothing Q1.
I understand about Amazon :D It's Bookstrand that I still haven't been paid for, for 2012 quarters three and four and the applicable works involved with that. (Bookstrand) non payment is: for Quarter 3, 2012 The Ulfric's Mate and Ravaged, Volume 1. for Quarter 4, 2012, it's The Ulfric's Mate, Ravaged, Volume 1, Rick Sexed Up the Doc, The Captain's Christmas.

and sorry on the anthos. I just checked again, and it's only Ravaged, not all three ;S

Bookstrand is the problem child. I know I had sales as I was on their top 30 lists for nearly a month with The Ulfric's Mate. So it's not that I didn't sell any. You weren't here then, but I still need to have them accounted for. You probably have access to all my Royalty reports, but if not, I'll forward the emails if you need them.
You mentioned before that you noticed a problem with Bookstrand and hoped to have it corrected by the quarterly payment.

This was not the first email I sent regarding missing payment on The Ulfric's Mate from Bookstrand in particular as it stayed in the middle of their top 30 for 3 weeks after release. In February 2013, I was told Bookstrand still hadn't paid for third quarter 2012. In July, I was told he'd made an error. After I again asked for it to be fixed, I received a corrected statement. If I could figure out how to do a pic as URL, I'd do it with that statement. Anything I have said, I have proof of. (Ie, the editing stuff in comments that show from the pub house, statements, screenshots). I'd love to be free of this...fill in favorite gross thing here... However, I am tired of people saying it's always right, yada yada. You can ask/talk. I asked him about Amazon sales before, saying I thought Amazon might be misreporting. He got mad and upset. Got screenshots of that. Wish I'd started keeping screenshots sooner, but I had every faith in the company and took the word that it was a mistake, or this issue or that issue. I no longer go by faith for business matters. Especially in light of the audio issue.

People are allowed to ask questions about royalty statements, etc that affect everyone, until it's a bad thing (like the audio issue). To me, that's not open. A business place or open forum, should be able to discuss the mistakes as well as the good. Business places aren't about blowing sunshine up people's arses all the time. They also aren't perfect, which is why I gave BP so many chances and worked as an editor. But, in light of the latest barrage of issues, I personally am not comfortable with them as an author. As for me asking for rights back...he still has print rights to The Midwife's Moon until January, and I was taken out of the group before being given my rights back.

Last edited:

Kastil

Writing Whore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kastil.wordpress.com
I have four publications with BP/LP. Leona was my editor for all of them. We worked well together and I felt her editing style was right on the mark. She was the reason I bought a copy of the Chicago Manual of Style so that I could learn and check things before sending out a manuscript to any publisher. However, since she's been fired, I have no editor to speak of and the way BP/LP works, is you send in your next manuscript to your editor which mine is ... who the fuck knows. Allegedly an email went out with editor but I really don't have confirmation on that.

I've seen, on the YA side, books go to print that came out before mine and after mine yet mine still isn't in print form. I suspect it never will at this point and I'm quite tired of asking. I've done local promotions for the novel, even going on TV to promote it. Still nothing on going to print though that's the new focus of the company.

At this point, I think it's best to concentrate on other avenues. I'm just glad all my eggs aren't in one basket.

I'd like to add on the subject of royalty payment that this is what my contract states:

Royalties shall be calculated and paid 30 days after quarter end (Quarter Ends: March, June, September, December)

So, yeah, not 45 days.

Last edited:

Masayoshi

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard that authors can pay for the edited copies of their books should they fold which includes the ISBN number.

Fun fact from ISBN.org ~~~~Once an ISBN publisher prefix and associated block of numbers has been assigned to a publisher by the ISBN Agency, the publisher can assign ISBNs to publications it holds publishing rights to. However, after the ISBN Agency assigns ISBNs to a publisher, that publisher cannot resell, re-assign, transfer, or split its list of ISBNs among other publishers. These guidelines have long been established to ensure the veracity, accuracy and continued utility of the international ISBN standard.

They're also claiming they have perspective buyers for their catalog and that the reason they're floundering is Amazon. I think it's more along the lines of poor management. Plus, I wonder if they're asking for monies for the edited copies, are the editors that worked on those going to get a portion? I'm guessing not since once they fire an editor, they no longer get paid their percentage when the books sell. :|

Masayoshi

Registered
Reaction score
And my source has informed me that Breathless Press is closing their doors as of May 1, 2015.

The signs were there but ignored. I hope all involved find another home for their novels.

Kastil

Writing Whore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kastil.wordpress.com
I have my rights back. Now I have to decide what avenue I want to go with them.

I'm a little miffed that we're being asked to pay for our edited copies of our books when there is nothing in my contracts of the sort. The cover art I can see, if I wanted it, because I don't own the rights to that. The other? Yeah ...no.

brainstorm77

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not surprised to hear this news. For the better part of two years I have heard rumors about BP possibly closing its doors.

Leona

Registered
Reaction score
Some lies have been spread about me in a place I can't access. I have proof they are not true. I never, ever, got paid a flat rate for edits. I was paid a flat rate, as managing editor, at 10 per editor under me per month.

For that ten dollars, I had to spot check work, answer any questions, deal with any issues that may arise between editor and author, and make sure their work was turned in on time. So, yeah. That was my flat rate work. ...I never got paid anything other than 10% of sales on books I edited. AND, he had planned on firing me for months (as evidenced by me not getting the dates I needed to start edits, and being told in NO UNCERTAIN TERMS MULTIPLE TIMES TO NOT START EDITS UNTIL I HAD THOSE DATES, by pitches not being answered, all at his direction while blaming my lack of dates and answers on the head editor, which also caused a personal issue. By the time he fessed up, it was too late. Even knowing that, he had me edit his birthday bash ones, and as soon as they were turned in, let me go. So not even 10 percent of those.

I have my proof of statements showing my ten percent. ALL CONTENT EDITORS KNOW THEY DID NOT GET PAID FLAT RATE AT BP AT THE TIME I PARTED WAYS. Earlier, the part of the editor's contract was quoted for those needing further guidance. I will say that it was my impression that the head editor was supplied a flat rate for head editor duties. Though, if it was anything akin to the 10 per editor, it wasn't worth it and akin to getting paid 5 cents an hour. :S

Masayoshi

Registered
Reaction score
So the rights reversals are going out and from what I read... yeesh.

If they don't pay for the edits to their story, Breathless Press--who announced they're closing--keeps the copyright and the story description. That's what you get if you sign the reversals and don't fork over money.

Whiskey Tango Foxtrot? What kind of fuckery is this?

DiloKeith

Doesn't scare easily
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
dilokeith.wordpress.com
On trying to keep the edited parts .... Nope. Someone Tweeted this to me.

https://www.rwa.org/p/bl/et/blogid=20&blogaid=68

That seems to say separate additions by an editor/publisher are not given to the author (elements written by the editor, such as an introduction, or the cover), but edits to the author's work, if not possible to copyright them separately, would go to the author. The editor's contributions become part of the author's work, especially when the author reviews and accepts the changes.

That's my understanding after reading it a couple of times.

Last edited:

Kastil

Writing Whore
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kastil.wordpress.com
That seems to say separate additions by an editor/publisher are not given to the author (elements written by the editor, such as an introduction, or the cover), but edits to the author's work, if not possible to copyright them separately, would go to the author. The editor's contributions become part of the author's work, especially when the author reviews and accepts the changes.

That's my understanding after reading it a couple of times.
That was my point and the company has reversed its decision. All rights--with the exception of cover art that we don't own--are the author's. The thing that put a burr in my saddle was that the story description and the edited was their copyright. I wrote that, not them. Yes, I had an editor but at least 50% of the chages were done by my hands and more than clicking 'accept'.