• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

MuseItUp Publishing

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
I just heard back from MuseItUp yesterday (an acceptance!) after about a month. I found their wait time somewhere, and if I can find it again I'll post the link here... it's 3-6 weeks.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I just heard back from MuseItUp yesterday (an acceptance!) after about a month. I found their wait time somewhere, and if I can find it again I'll post the link here... it's 3-6 weeks.

Congrats! And welcome to MuseItUp! Lea's amazing! Hope you like the experience as much as I do. We had a retreat in Montreal recently. I was able to meet many authors, editors, etc. Amazing time. I hear there may be one next year too. (-;

adrianaryan

Contracted Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
adrianaryan.wordpress.com
I just wanted to jump in since it's Dec 2011, and they've been open about a year and a half or so now. I got offered a contract for my paranormal romance novella (21,500 words) in May 2011, and it will be out in March 2012. Edits have gone smoothly, with the editors being very cognizant not to change my voice, but rather fix conceptual or grammatical errors (i.e. time inconsistencies or em dashes, for instance). I haven't been through the cover art process yet, but I expect to soon.

As soon as I signed the contract, the CEO, Lea Schizas, sent me links to join their Yahoo! groups. The community of writers is extremely tight knit and helpful. They cross promote the heck out of each other and are very open with advice, which was very nice for a newbie like me.

I have not had any print experience with them, nor will I, since my work is so short. However, I wanted to add my $.02. Oh, and I'm in North America. :)

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I love Muse. Yes, Lea is great. Muse had a retreat of sorts in Montreal this past November. It culminated with a mass author booksigning at Zelers Pointe Claire...but Lea and Litza (PR) also had lots planned for the Muse authors to take in while we were in Montreal. It was a faboo weekend. ;-)

And...as a publisher, they deliver what they promise. Honest and hard working. I have a print/ebook with them. Royalties are straightforward and on time. My experience with them has been great.

EnitaMeadows

Registered
Reaction score
I submitted over 11 weeks ago. I queried about the status two (was told I'd hear in 6-8 wks) days ago and haven't heard. Any thoughts?!?

I'd say, if you don't hear back within the week, query again as a reply to your submission email. For my last two submissions (both acceptances, expecting a third response soon) to MuseItUp, I've had to nudge after not getting a response within the time they estimated. I'd expect it's mostly because of how many submissions they have to think about, being that they accept unsolicited MSs. Either way, I'm sure you'll hear from them soon. Best of luck!
Enita

er87

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. Congrats on your acceptances!!

kathleea

Card-carrying Geek
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kathleensallen.weebly.com
I have a YA fantasy novel about faeries (LORE OF FEI) coming out in April, 2012 with them. I have been happy with the process so far. I am awaiting galleys and a cover design. They are a friendly bunch! I am working on a sequel to LORE OF FEI I will send to them as soon as I finish it. LOL. I, too, am in the US.

er87

Registered
Reaction score
they are. i subbed in november. waiting...

EnitaMeadows

Registered
Reaction score
they are. i subbed in november. waiting...

My submission was back in November, too. :tongue I sent a nudge email just a few minutes ago since it's been a day or two past their max expectance time of ten weeks. We can be waiting buddies! :Hug2:

er87

Registered
Reaction score
Enita,

Just sent you a message. Hoping for the best!!

EnitaMeadows

Registered
Reaction score
Got your message! :)

Also, yesterday marked my third acceptance from MuseItUp. Very excited about this one, Lea said my contract should be sent sometime next week, after the release schedule is worked out.

KTC

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Got your message! :)

Also, yesterday marked my third acceptance from MuseItUp. Very excited about this one, Lea said my contract should be sent sometime next week, after the release schedule is worked out.

Will you be going to the MuseItUp conference in November, in Montreal? It was a great experience last November. Worth the trip. We had people there from as far away as California...

EnitaMeadows

Registered
Reaction score
Will you be going to the MuseItUp conference in November, in Montreal? It was a great experience last November. Worth the trip. We had people there from as far away as California...

I'd really like to, but it would depend on how things go for me around that time. I saw the pics from last year and it looked like so much fun! If there's another I'd love to go, but college and funds could interfere with that.no guess I'll keep hoping....

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
My suggestion would be to send an email to the submissions address asking whether they received your initial submission and letting them know that you have a newer version of the manuscript.

turtledinosaur

Registered
Reaction score
I also sent a manuscript in November, but never heard back. I nudged yesterday and received a polite reply within 24 hours stating my manuscript had never been received. I had emailed it to their old address, so it must have been eaten by their wonky server. Anyway, I was told to resubmit and that my manuscript would be put on top of the submission pile.

I would say if you didn't receive an acknowledgement (like I didn't), your email was eaten, too.

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Am I seeing this right? They were brand new almost exactly 2 years ago and they now have over 350 titles? I wouldn't consider that a positive thing.

Marva

Registered
Reaction score
Am I seeing this right? They were brand new almost exactly 2 years ago and they now have over 350 titles? I wouldn't consider that a positive thing.

So success is a red flag now? I have four books with MuseItUp and another scheduled for late summer or fall. All books have received multiple rounds of both content and line editing. My cover artists have been great to work with and have accommodated my suggestions.

The author community of MuseItUp is highly supportive. Many of the authors are making gangbusters sales. I tend to be less a marketing type, so my sales are lower than the typical of the house, so I'm a lousy example of sales. Authors do get to see all sales for every book in a shared database on Google. I've been paid promptly.

The house continually run specials on both individual books and on package deals on series. The publisher is also hooking into more distributors every day.

All I can say is that I'm happy with my publisher and intend to stay with them as long as they'll have me.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Mustafa is just saying that this is a very high volume output, which is not something everyone is after as it generally relates to lower sales per title. I am happily published by a couple of high volume publishers, but I understand the point of view.

Mustafa

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Veinglory's got it right. Lots of titles does not = success. Lots of sales = success. I can't imagine the size of staff that would be required to release a book basically every other day, let alone to market it. But if museitup is actually selling books and keeping their authors happy, that's wonderful to hear.

What kind of sales do they manage for their authors?

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Mustafa is just saying that this is a very high volume output, which is not something everyone is after as it generally relates to lower sales per title. I am happily published by a couple of high volume publishers, but I understand the point of view.

Exactly this. I can remember when M..dania went hog wild in high volume and began getting complaints. Anything that remotely resembles an author mill, I stay away from.

stranger

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Veinglory's got it right. Lots of titles does not = success. Lots of sales = success. I can't imagine the size of staff that would be required to release a book basically every other day, let alone to market it. But if museitup is actually selling books and keeping their authors happy, that's wonderful to hear.

What kind of sales do they manage for their authors?

Some of the titles are short stories, many others novellas. They do a good job at editing but seem to have a low number of sales per title.