• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

MuseItUp Publishing

KimJo

Outside the box, with the werewolves
Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Good luck, justbishop. Glad they answered you so quickly!

Speaking of answers, I heard from the cover artist this morning, so should have cover art pretty quickly. As I said, once the folks at Muse are aware of a problem, they're right on it.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Emailed to ask, and someone got back to me within an hour or so. They instructed me to c/p the questionable scenes into a reply and they'd look them over. Will update when I hear anything further :)

I'm not surprised you got this quick and helpful reply. I've had an excellent experience with my publisher, Museitup. They are great to work with. Good luck!

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
Awesome Just :)

I got a confermation email about two hours after I sent in my qury :S Here's hoping!

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
I received an offer for my YA sci-fi novel earlier this month (yay!) Just wondering if anyone had any new/updated experiences to share? Many thanks in advance!! :)

justbishop

Proud Literary Sadist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ashleyheckman.com
Not really recent, but seeing this thread come up made me realize that I hadn't come back and updated with the result of my communications with MuseItUp. IIRC, this is the publisher that suggested I rewrite a suicide to show the character calling a helpline and living HEA instead. So yeah...no.

That said, congratulations Hester! I hope your experience is wonderful :D

KimJo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
Congratulations, Hester!

My one and only MuseItUp title was released in September 2012. I've been pleased with the quick responses I've received to questions and concerns.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
Not really recent, but seeing this thread come up made me realize that I hadn't come back and updated with the result of my communications with MuseItUp. IIRC, this is the publisher that suggested I rewrite a suicide to show the character calling a helpline and living HEA instead. So yeah...no.

If you have a death at the end of a romance most publishers that focus on romance won't like that, because it isn't considered romance, it's considered a love story. Publishers asking for romance generally want happy endings.

SamanthaLehane

Not all who wander are lost
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, guys, does anyone have anything new on this publisher? Anyone care to share any sales information? Thanks!

Megan Morgan

I like the night life, baby.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.meganmorganauthor.com
Not much stirring in here, but since I had such a positive experience, I thought it would be good to share: I had a novella accepted for Muse It Up's erotica imprint (Muse It Hot), specifically for their Wild Darkness Calls line.

The acceptance email had me glowing! Usually if I have something accepted I get a standard "we would like to publish..." basic note, but Susan Davis, who contacted me, took the time to specifically tell me what she liked about the story and my writing. I was a very happy author. :D

They've also kept me informed about the timeline for edits/publication and the contract was more than fair. Admittedly I haven't done much but sign the contract with them so far, but I'm already super impressed with this publisher!

TalanaRay

Registered
Reaction score
It's been awhile since anyone updated. Can someone who's published with them recently say how long they waited for a response? Thanks!

Beau

Registered
Reaction score
Any new information or comments about MuseItUp Publishing?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
There's already a thread about MuseItUp in our Bewares and Recommendations room. I'll move this thread from General Publishing Discussions there, and merge it with the existing thread.

TalanaRay

Registered
Reaction score
I'm also looking for updates if anyone has any news or experiences, such as response time etc.

Killarney Sheffield

Registered
Reaction score
MuseItUp issues

I pulled my books from MuseItUp for a couple reasons, the royalties were terrible, despite working hard to promote my books. When I brought the subject up I was accused very publicly of doing nothing to promote. Quite the slap in the face after spending hundreds of dollars on promotion myself. Despite having my books back there is still an entire year's worth of missing royalties. I've sent numerous requests to clear the issue up, most of the time with no response. When I have gotten any response it has been excuses like the change in mailing policies by Canada post has delayed payment, the payment was sent but you must have given us the wrong address or the check must have gotten lost in the mail. To date I have not received royalties since a check dated Sept 2013 that arrived in Dec of 2013. My last book was not returned to me until summer 2014. As well one of my paperbacks is still listed as for sale on amazon that was supposed to be removed almost 2 yrs ago. The latter might be an amazon issue but only the publisher can deal with it. I am beyond frustrated and have finally hired a lawyer. I've been in contact with a couple other former MuseItUp authors going through the same issues with the company.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
Another cautionary example of why it's wise to dig deeper. When choosing a publisher, never rely solely on 'honeymoon' posts from happy authors still in the early stages of a working relationship. All the kind acceptance letters and ego-stroking mean little, if a publisher cannot sell its own product.

These days, if I even pick a small publisher who wants me to do all or most of my own marketing, it will be out of a labor of love - and with the expectation that I won't see any profit. Anyone else, I will research their average sales on a couple of platforms, and never bother with the under-performers.

seaaircarol

Frustrated Pluviophile
Registered
Reaction score
I had a strange experience with this publisher. I write works set at storybook parks (also known as fairytale parks), and I subbed my middle grade time travel novel set at a storybook park to them a few years ago. Among other problems they had with the book, they said that I couldn't have my main character play Alice in Wonderland because of "trademark and copyright issues". Also, I was warned not to use brand names because I would need permission for "product placement". As far as I know, there have been hundreds of books published that involve Alice in Wonderland in some way. After all, the novel is in the public domain. Besides which, because my setting is a storybook park, I think it's clear that the protagonist is playing the part of the original Alice; it's not as though I were trying to pass off the character as my own or using Disney's version of her. Furthermore, I am pretty sure that product placement works the other way around. In a movie, don't companies *pay* to have their products shown? (not that I'm implying that an author would get paid for using a brand name. I'm just questioning their definition of "product placement". It's my understanding that an author can use brand names but you better not say anything negative about their products). Anyway, because I felt this publisher didn't have a clear grasp on how these things work, I didn't revise and resubmit.

Last edited:

KimJo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
karennacolcroft.com
As far as "product placement"... yes, in movies and TV shows, some companies pay for product placement as an advertising thing, but if the product is named in a book without the company's knowledge and approval, the publisher and author can run into problems, possible trademark violation among them. When product placement is paid by the company, there's paperwork done to indicate that the movie/show is using the product *with* the consent of the company.

Also, if anything even slightly uncomplimentary is said about the product, there could be other issues...

Alice in Wonderland, though, to the best of my knowledge, is public domain. Unless you were specifically referencing the Disney version, I'm not sure why there would have been a problem there.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not a lawyer nor have any legal training. I'm basing my statements on discussions with publishers, other authors, and a friend who's a paralegal with a patent-law firm that occasionally runs into trademark cases.

As for MuseItUp, I had one book with them, published in September 2012, as I've stated previously in this thread. The book was an urban fantasy novel. It was published under my YA pen name, after I discussed with the publisher which pen name to use. I think that between the genre and the pen name choice (my Jo Ramsey readers look exclusively for YA, which this book wasn't), the book struggled from the start. In two years, I earned around $13 in royalties. I asked for, and received, a rights reversion in August of this year.

I don't feel this is MuseItUp's fault in any way; after a year when I contacted Lea with my concerns about sales, she made several suggestions of things she/MuseItUp were willing to do promotion-wise to see if sales would improve, and I was not given any type of "you aren't doing enough promo" response from her. She followed through with her suggestions, and I boosted my own promo; it just didn't work.

Beau

Registered
Reaction score
I pulled my books from MuseItUp for a couple reasons, the royalties were terrible, despite working hard to promote my books. When I brought the subject up I was accused very publicly of doing nothing to promote. Quite the slap in the face after spending hundreds of dollars on promotion myself. Despite having my books back there is still an entire year's worth of missing royalties. I've sent numerous requests to clear the issue up, most of the time with no response. When I have gotten any response it has been excuses like the change in mailing policies by Canada post has delayed payment, the payment was sent but you must have given us the wrong address or the check must have gotten lost in the mail. To date I have not received royalties since a check dated Sept 2013 that arrived in Dec of 2013. My last book was not returned to me until summer 2014. As well one of my paperbacks is still listed as for sale on amazon that was supposed to be removed almost 2 yrs ago. The latter might be an amazon issue but only the publisher can deal with it. I am beyond frustrated and have finally hired a lawyer. I've been in contact with a couple other former MuseItUp authors going through the same issues with the company.

I have had similar problems with this publisher, and am no longer with them. In 2 1/2 years, I received only one royalty statement and one royalty check. According to their contract, authors are entitled to a royalty statement every quarter, regardless of earnings or no earnings. That's a laugh. I was also promised in emails, on three occasions, by the publisher, that she would do a print run on my first book by fall of 2014. She knew I had scheduled school visits for this MG book, based on her promise of print books. She kept putting me off, then finally said she was not going to do any more print books...then turned around and started printing just certain authors' books. She had kept a manuscript of mine for 9 months, without any editing, although my contract for that one stated "Spring, 2015" for release. When I realized that wasn't going to happen, on top of everything else, I simply asked to be released from all contracts, and I left MIU. I am now with the same publisher as Killarney ( although we don't know each other.) My one royalty check also took a long time to get to me( long after it was due, and after the publisher said she had mailed it) because of similar excuses...changes in Canadian mail (but a friend in Alberta said there were no changes that she knew of), lost in the mail, etc.

michael_b

So many ideas, never enough time.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelbarnette.com
As well one of my paperbacks is still listed as for sale on amazon that was supposed to be removed almost 2 yrs ago. The latter might be an amazon issue but only the publisher can deal with it. I am beyond frustrated and have finally hired a lawyer. I've been in contact with a couple other former MuseItUp authors going through the same issues with the company.

I've had this issue with another publisher, the books remained up at Amazon far beyond end of contract. Contact them via customer service and ask to speak to a supervisor regarding a book being sold in violation of your copyright. I got my book taken down via this method.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Listings for print editions usually remain in place on Amazon after a book goes out of print to take into account the chance of second-hand copies being sold.

Sales of new copies might suggest an issue with copyright but remaindered copies can hang around for quite a while. So don't assume the worst if your book is still listed: this is often normal, and not a problem at all.

Killarney Sheffield

Registered
Reaction score
Update

I finally got my books removed from MuseItUp and a final royalty check that was well under the expected amount. At this point I don't care, I'm free of Muse and happy about that. I have been contacted by other muse authors very unhappy with the company and my advice is send a legal letter from a lawyer, only costs $20 and well worth it to move on to bigger and better publishers.

LizzieBoo

Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* I have a book out with MuseItUp. I've been paid once in 5+ years (I'm under the old contract that states the publisher cannot withhold royalties even under $20 for more than six months. The new one, which I was not sent, says they can withhold under $20 for forever, I guess.) I'm keeping my book with them only to look more legit (no one wants to buy an indie book in the genre/age group I write in), and since I've lost first rights, no other publisher is going to want to look at it. I'm scared to confront them, as I have been scolded in the past. So, yeah. Leaving things as they are for now, and recommending no one publish with them.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
*sigh* I have a book out with MuseItUp. I've been paid once in 5+ years (I'm under the old contract that states the publisher cannot withhold royalties even under $20 for more than six months. The new one, which I was not sent, says they can withhold under $20 for forever, I guess.) I'm keeping my book with them only to look more legit (no one wants to buy an indie book in the genre/age group I write in), and since I've lost first rights, no other publisher is going to want to look at it. I'm scared to confront them, as I have been scolded in the past. So, yeah. Leaving things as they are for now, and recommending no one publish with them.

You've only been paid ONCE in over five years? :Jaw:You might as well not even be published then. Is it that the book isn't selling or that it's selling and they just don't pay you? Some friendly advice, cut these people off. They are doing you no favors and trust me, sticking with them does not bring legitimacy. That isn't a knock to you but to THEM. Believe in your work and yourself and believe you deserve better. I don't know what you write but a lot of genres are doing well indie now so not sure you couldn't either. I'd bet you that if you self-published you'd made way more money by this point than you have with this publisher because you seem to not have made anything at all if you've only been paid once.

This is the attitude that makes authors think they don't deserve better. You're selling yourself short thinking you gotta stay with this publisher to look legit. No and just being honest, what makes them legit? Just because someone claims to be a publisher does not mean they are legit. All publishers are not created equal. If you were with Random Penguin or Simon and Schuster that would be different but not sure with this publisher.

Maybe this pub is the cat's meow in your genre? Not sure but if you haven't been paid in FIVE years that tells me it's not. If you're not making any money then you're wasting your time with these people. Also, in terms of being legit, what doors has being with this place opened for you in five years? If none then that proves how "legit" they make an author look.

I say take your book now and move on and you can get another publisher for it even if first rights are gone. It happens all the time. That's what authors do when their pubs close or they get rights back for whatever reason. They continue to shop the work around or they self-publish.

Good luck to you but please reconsider your plan because staying with this outlet is the last thing you should do at this point.

You can see on this very thread that obviously this publisher is a problem because it seems like several authors have not been paid as well as other issues. That's not a legitimate publisher.

Being badly published is worse than not being published at all.

Last edited: