• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Jolly Fish Press

sheadakota

part of the human equation
Registered
Reaction score
I just sent out a query to them yesterday- I'll let you know what happens!

RoseColoredSkies

It's a long and winding road
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarah-biglow.com
Got a Dear Author form R today. It peeved me honestly. Not the rejection itself but the fact it was a batch email and they made a point of putting in a PS saying that it was a batch email. If you're going to do that, fine but don't announce it to the world.

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't heard a thing- gonna cross them off as a no reply.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm a little surprise I haven't heard, considering it was a #pitmad request. It hasn't been that long, but usually those get faster responses

ETA: But since RCS got hers today and queried on the 1st, it could just be that they're going in order.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Finally got a response. A rare #pitmad rejection.

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
I would caution people to wait for a response. Publishers have much, much longer response times than agents do. I wouldn't cross them off as 'rejected' until at least 6 months passed. And even then you may yet hear from them.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I got a full request from them on 3-7-2015. A personalized note praised the book so far (three chapters) earlier. So I do admit to having my hopes up. They have distribution. I'll await their answer. I know for a fact my first three chapters were slow out of the gate, so now they can face the largest action sequences from there on out.

tri

sheadakota

Registered
Reaction score
Good Luck tri!! I got a form R from them today.

ralphie1026

Registered
Reaction score
I got a full request in February and was give a 1-2 month time frame, but It's been over 3 months so I nudged (probably against better judgement). I got a very polite email apologizing for the long wait, that they're still reviewing it, and I'll have an answer in a few weeks. Fingers crossed! So far, they've been very nice and professional. Sounds to me like anyone who signs with them is lucky!

Channy

Me Gusta
Registered
Reaction score
I got a (very belated) favourite for a KidPit tweet asking to submit... how has everyone's experience/responses been with them? I've gone through the thread but has anyone else new to report?

SomethingAnimal

Registered
Reaction score
Just poking in to say I'm one of their authors -- the last time I posted, there was an email glitch and I was waiting on a partial. They picked up my YA which will be coming out in May.

Very happy working with them so far and their commitment to #WeNeedDiverseBooks. Distribution with IPG and partnership with The Gotham Group, so hopefully we'll see some options coming in.

Lakini

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everyone. All my research on Jolly Fish has left me enamored even though I hadn't considered small presses yet when I got the #SFFpit like. With great distribution and editors who are helpful and approachable on social media, I'm poised for heart-ache should they turn down my novel. I queried on 12/10 and a full request came on 2/1. Fingers crossed!

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I was worried about JFP being only a YA press, so I emailed them asking about adult content in fantasy. The editors said they're open to strong graphic content if it fits the story. They "would very much like adult fantasy", which is a nice change from the crickets and slamming doors I'm getting off this latest query round. I like JFP's covers, and they seem to actually have a clue about marketing. I'll let the other subs wind down for another couple of months, then query this one.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I submitted a new one at the end of December and haven't heard a thing. I'm worried I'm not even going to get a response. I really like them too.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I like them, too. Given that even small publishers can be even slower than agents, I'd say not to worry about it until another month or so. They seem like they eventually respond to everything, at least, even if it's a formula rejection.

I hadn't even considered small presses for SFF, either...until I saw the caliber of agents submitting to Jolly Fish. That tells me something valuable about the publisher, right there.

noranne

the possibilities are endless
Registered
Reaction score
Website
nora-bailey.com
I submitted a query and partial (3 chapters + synopsis) on Dec 11 in response to a #SFFpit request. They requested the full manuscript on Feb 1, sent same day. So they do respond at least sometimes!

lenaf007

Registered
Reaction score
Looks like their responses may be a bit slower right now, which might be due to a summer lull. According to Query Tracker they haven't responded to a query since June 8th.

I'll just be over here, waiting (somewhat) patiently to hear back on my July 11th query. :)

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I still haven't heard anything and my submission is 8 months old already. I'm thinking it's over now. It's gone on too long.

I got a response before. Do they only respond if they are interested?