• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

[Agency] March Tenth Inc.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
06-06-2006, 09:36 PM
MarkEsq
Clever title pending.

March Tenth Inc.

I have exchanged emails with Sandra Choron of March Tenth Inc. and she seems very legit (based on her web site and no apparent complaints) but she is not listed on the index here... so, just wondering if anyone has had any experiences with this agency?
Many thanks!
06-07-2006, 09:38 AM
Maryn
Bru-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-u-uce!

It's nothing much, but her listing at Preditors and Editors (under S for Sandra) shows the dollar sign symbol that "indicates verified sales to legitimate royalty-paying publishers on record." However, Harry Choron and Casey Choron, the other two agents named at the website, lack the symbol and have no listing, respectively.

I had a small mental red flag (in keeping with my brain capacity) that the email contact is through AOL rather than a dedicated professional-sounding email like [email protected]. Not that there's any great significance to that, but it tends to be typical of either those ill at ease with computers and technology (but hey, you've exchanged emails, so she's got that covered) or of a business which doesn't adhere to what most people consider normal professional business practices.

Since the business was apparently founded in 1981, it's entirely possible that she's of the age where this tech stuff comes hard. Giving full benefit of the doubt, I'll just note that for such people, pushing everything through AOL makes it easier.

The website's Client List page is pretty impressive--but it's not real clear to me (inexperienced with novel publishing business) whether this agency brokered the deals to the big-name publishers listed. What it says is that the authors of those books are or have been clients. Worth noting: Some of those publishing credits listed are from before the agency opened its doors. Worth Noting, the Sequel: Some of those clients haven't had a book out in 20 years.

What I find produces a larger red flag waving merrily in the breeze are the two pages under construction, Books Produced and Design Services. This sounds to me as if strange things are afoot at the Circle K--are they venturing into POD? Starting a publishing house?

Things to think about while you await an answer from someone who's tried her and left or stayed to use her services, been a satisfied or unsatisfied client, been asked for money to POD an unsaleable ms., etc.

Edited to add: Uh-oh, further flags. Well into a quick google, I see the agency identified as " a literary agency and book production firm." A Google Earth of the address shows what's clearly a residence, not a business address. (I love my computer!)

Maryn, hoping to see you with just the right agent for you
06-07-2006, 11:01 AM
CaoPaux
Mostly Harmless

Brava, Maryn!

http://www.marchtenthinc.com/

CaoPaux, finding nothing to add but a link.
06-07-2006, 11:34 AM
victoriastrauss
Cud-chewing moo-derator
Absolute Sage

March Tenth is a book packager (this is what they mean by production and design) as well as a literary agency. I believe they keep the two sides of the business separate--it's a well-known firm with a lot of experience and no outstanding complaints or issues that I know of. However, the co-existence of a packager and a literary agency can pose a potential conflict of interest, as packaging is a lot more lucrative for the packager than agenting is for the agent, and it may be very tempting for whoever's running the company to steer clients into packaging deals rather than selling their books independently to publishers.

Not an issue with March Tenth, I don't think, or at least as far as I know. But something to consider any time an agency identifies itself as a packager or vice versa.

- Victoria
06-07-2006, 03:42 PM
Cathy C
Dawnolite w/extra seasoning
Absolute Sage

Related question, Victoria: Do you know any websites that adequately explain book packaging? I don't really know much about the process and would like to (just because I'm curious about aspects of the publishing business.) Thanks!
06-08-2006, 06:49 PM
victoriastrauss
Cud-chewing moo-derator
Absolute Sage

Jenna has a good article about book packagers.

The American Book Producers Association provides this description.

Some packagers are pretty sleazy, and do their utmost to screw writers. I believe Uncle Jim has some choice stories.

- Victoria
06-09-2006, 10:54 PM
HapiSofi
Board fanatic
Absolute Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by victoriastrauss
Some packagers are pretty sleazy, and do their utmost to screw writers. I believe Uncle Jim has some choice stories.
I am saintlike in my patient forbearance, for I have never maimed or murdered a packager.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website now has client and books pages. Casey Choron is no longer listed with the agency. Harry, while helping with submissions, is a designer rather than an agent.

charlys

new author
Registered
Reaction score
March Tenth, Hi,
I'm getting ready to e-mail a query letter to Sandra Choron. Does anybody have an update on her as to responses. I viewed her website and it looks okay but P&E doesn't show anything since 4/09.

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
March Tenth, Hi,
I'm getting ready to e-mail a query letter to Sandra Choron. Does anybody have an update on her as to responses. I viewed her website and it looks okay but P&E doesn't show anything since 4/09.
Sandra Choron just requested my full, a few hours after I queried her. Any update for you, charlys?

Miss Plum

Sockpuppet
Banned
Reaction score
Rejected 6/9. "I found the story convoluted and difficult to follow."

ILSinTexas

requiescat in pace
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Miss Plum said:

"I found the story convoluted and difficult to follow."

Ouch! That's got to be the worst rejection I've ever heard. It's like a scorpion's sting put into words. What's wrong with, "I'm sorry, but I had difficulty following your story?"

:Hug2:Irene

charlys

new author
Registered
Reaction score
Sandra Choron just requested my full, a few hours after I queried her. Any update for you, charlys?

Sorry to get back so late on this. I never heard back from her. I'm sending my query and synopsis out to Sandra Choron again but I'm not going to include the 10 pages. They don't state whether to paste it or add as doc but I'll mention it at the bottom of my query. Sorry you had no luck. I don't have my fingers crossed, either but you don't get anywhere without trying.:)