What's your book subject?

wheelsmia

Registered
Reaction score
memoir--hippy parents--weird cults... Hardest part? Telling them I am going to publish.

escritora

Registered
Reaction score
Brandi, congrats! Who's the publisher?

Jay Solomon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thezenofsouthpark.com
The Zen of South Park, all about South Park and religion

South Park is one of the most amazing shows on television, and one of the most profound social commentaries America has. I have taken one aspect of the show - religion - and written a book all about South Park's treatment of religion, both individual religions, religious subjects (God, Satan, Jesus, Heaven, Hell, Cults, Atheism, etc.) and the show's treatment of and attitude towards religion generally. If you want to learn more about the book you can check out www.thezenofsouthpark.com and go to the Table of Contents to see the exact chapters. I also blog about it at jaysolomon.wordpress.com.

I've really enjoyed working on the project though I'm an editing perfectionist (who amongst us isn't?) and so I've been editing for a crazy long time at this point. The hardest part about the research was watching every episode and pausing every time something important was said to type it, especially when that meant bursts of little rewinding and watching over and over to make out specific words. I had a pretty good research system though, left over from my more academic research days, and so when it came time to write the thing all of my notes were quite ready to go.

Nonfiction is great and a lot of fun to write because of its visible structure, coherent point (oftentimes) and predictability, but I think my next project will be fiction, because I have some great ideas and am looking forward to the different challenges that fiction affords.

If you make it to the website, let me know if you have any recommendations. Thanks!

Jay

PatrickMoran2008

Registered
Reaction score
I'm working on a book about a boxer who was undefeated (29-0) and on the verge of a world title shot, before getting injured in the ring (brain injury) during the final round of a victory got him suspended for nearly two year and in essence, ended his career and quest for a championship.

Hathor

Goddess of Rationalization
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, my first post -- undoubtedly, not my last.

I'm working on a book about my daughter's journey. At age 2, we were told she had "organic brain damage," would probably never talk, would be retarded, would have to live in a group home, etc. The best diagnosis was pervasive developmental delay, which is a disorder on the autism spectrum. As she received special education and assorted therapies, the autistic stuff faded away and she began catching up to her peers. Her labels changed over the years. By 7th grade, the progress stopped due to problems with the system and we switched to homeschooling.

Now she has one year left at Brown, is getting excellent grades, and has no trace of all those problems we were told through the years we should expect her to have for the rest of her life.

So, the book will be about labels and their shortcomings, maintaining the proper attitude, the pros and cons of the special education system, the weaknesses I saw in the regular curriculum, and how I homeschooled her from D's in 7th grade in public school to getting into Brown.

Sorry to go on and on. It is hard to explain the book in a sentence or two. I'm sure I will be posting again as I struggle to get a title that expresses what the book is about. The working title now is "Ignoring the Experts: How My 'Brain Damaged, Autistic, Retarded' Little Girl Ended Up With Ivy League Success"

JosephR

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a great book, Hathor. From OBD to Brown. Amazing, and it's good to hear that all turned out well.

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds like a great book, Hathor. From OBD to Brown. Amazing, and it's good to hear that all turned out well.

Thanks for the encouragement! It is always nice to get any evidence that I'm not delusional :D I'm trying not to worry right now about whether there will be a market for my book or not.

About the so-called brain damage -- it was inferred from my daughter's perseverative behaviors. I always thought that without some trauma or physical test, it was questionable to assume that there was something permanently wrong. This well-paid expert insisted otherwise and everyone else we talked to deferred to her opinion. My daughter received some intensive therapy in a preschool autism program for a year and the behavior slowly faded away. We still had lots of other problems to deal with for years, but they got solved in turn because we kept working on them.

I've lost track of the doctor's name, or I would send her a copy of my book. I'm sure she still thinks she was correct.

brc23

Registered
Reaction score
Great Book Idea! LOVE the title! Go get 'um!

Hathor

Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear. I had been thinking about a different title. For some reason, the title is proving to be the most difficult part of the book! I have lost track of all the titles I've tried. My husband tells me I should stop obsessing about the title and just work on the book -- the title will come to me.

I'm not completely satisfied with the main title because I didn't ignore all experts, just those who didn't have clear and convincing evidence. I thought about "Ignoring the 'Experts' " but then I would have quotes around two parts of the full title, which seems excessive. Then I thought about switching to saying "developmentally delayed" [without quotes] because that was really all they really knew.

I've come up with other main titles too. Driving me nuts ... Now I'm toying with "Fight, Flight and Chocolate" with a subtitle of some sort. We fought the problems and the educators, we moved on to homeschooling, and chocolate ... well, that is a recurring theme. My daughter didn't respond until they started using M&M's as a reinforcer. Her first word was "more." She even discussed this use of chocolate in her college application essay, which I was going to have as a preface.

Maybe this is too cutesy, though. I'll probably come up with a score of other ideas by the time I finish.

Thanks for the vote of confidence!

brc23

Registered
Reaction score
Well don't listen to ONE person's idea of what a good title is.

Your hubby's right...don't focus so much on the title, let the work be brilliant and your agent or publisher will help with the title.

I just liked it cause it's eye catching. But on a book jacket it may appear too long.

I am having the same trouble with my book title. I am just not worrying about it. I have 2 or 3 ways to go.

I have also seen books that come from good lines like "He's just not that into you"...it also helps create press. So I flip flop all the time too.

Thrillride

A Suburban Farmer
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.asuburbanfarmer.com
Ah, my first post -- undoubtedly, not my last.

I'm working on a book about my daughter's journey. At age 2, we were told she had "organic brain damage," would probably never talk, would be retarded, would have to live in a group home, etc. The best diagnosis was pervasive developmental delay, which is a disorder on the autism spectrum. As she received special education and assorted therapies, the autistic stuff faded away and she began catching up to her peers. Her labels changed over the years. By 7th grade, the progress stopped due to problems with the system and we switched to homeschooling.

Now she has one year left at Brown, is getting excellent grades, and has no trace of all those problems we were told through the years we should expect her to have for the rest of her life.

So, the book will be about labels and their shortcomings, maintaining the proper attitude, the pros and cons of the special education system, the weaknesses I saw in the regular curriculum, and how I homeschooled her from D's in 7th grade in public school to getting into Brown.

Sorry to go on and on. It is hard to explain the book in a sentence or two. I'm sure I will be posting again as I struggle to get a title that expresses what the book is about. The working title now is "Ignoring the Experts: How My 'Brain Damaged, Autistic, Retarded' Little Girl Ended Up With Ivy League Success"

How about, "Labeled Girl Does Good" ? (Spin-off of "Local Girl Does Good")

Your book sounds wonderful and how exciting for you and your daughter!

Last edited:

Bluestone

It's never too late to dream big
Registered
Reaction score
Oh dear. I had been thinking about a different title. For some reason, the title is proving to be the most difficult part of the book! I have lost track of all the titles I've tried. My husband tells me I should stop obsessing about the title and just work on the book -- the title will come to me.

I agree about the title. Just go with a working title until something else strikes you down the road, but no need to dwell on it now.

I do have one suggestion, however, and that's to include something of the subject matter in the title. It will make it easier for someone to Google or search on Amazon for help or inspiration on the subject and come up with your book. I thought the title OBD to Brown was very catchy until I Googled OBD and the first page of sites were for On Board Diagnostics!

Good luck with your book, and congratulations on the way you raised your daughter. She sounds very lucky to have you.

JasonA

Registered
Reaction score
Operating as four to eight-man teams, they are the eyes, ears, and heavy firepower of the units they serve; their missions have been marked in history by close combat, extraordinary bravery, and unbelievable survival while directing and spotting lethal air strikes and deadly naval gunfire bombardment. The heroic exploits of the US Marine’s Air Naval Gunfire Liaison Company (ANGLICO) have never been revealed until now.

ANGLICO: Lightning from the Sky, Thunder from the Sea is a narrative nonfiction book I'm writing detailing the history and combat experiences of the men who served in these unpublicized elite teams. One of the US military’s most unique, yet misunderstood organizations, ANGLICO has been vital to the battlefield success of joint, allied, and coalition forces operating adjacent to US Marines since the end of World War II. This book will detail the astonishing history of ANGLICO, from its creation and baptism by fire during the Korean War to the current counterinsurgency missions in Iraq and Afghanistan. Historians, veterans, military buffs, and war enthusiasts alike will be amazed to discover that it was an ANGLICO team that saved portions of the US Army from annihilation during the famous Chosin Reservoir retreat; in Vietnam, they operated from spotter planes, conducted deep reconnaissance patrols, fought side by side with the Korean marines, Australian forces, and Vietnamese marines until finally withdrawing as the last combat unit to leave that war torn country; in Beirut, they directed 2,000-pound shells from the USS New Jersey onto militia positions overlooking the city; during the invasion of Grenada, while serving with the 82nd Airborne, they directed gunship attacks against communist forces; in the nineties, while working with Special Forces A-teams, they punished an advancing Iraqi armored unit with countless air strikes before almost being overrun during the infamous Battle of Khafji; in the War on Terror, they helped secure key objectives with the Royal Marine Commandos in March 2003, fought off the Mahdi militia in Najaf in 2004, and conducted counterinsurgency operations with US Army sniper teams and Navy SEALs in the insurgent hotbed of Ar Ramadi during 2005 and 2006. Over the years, ANGLICO teams, with their expertise in small team operations, close air support, and naval gunfire, have become some of the most efficient, deadly, yet unknown US Marine units.

I got a good response from Trident Media when I a query to one of their agents. They requested my proposal, which I sent, but thought that it was not for them. They liked my writing, the subject and the way I layed it out but thought the non fiction was tough right now. He did give some good suggestions as to the smaller military publishers.

siouxnyc

Registered
Reaction score
i'm writing a book on mixed martial arts called "a year in the cage". booyah.

Reaction score
Florida Keys where hell is disguised as paradise
Website
www.demonsamongusbook.com
I am writing a book about Domestic Violence in America, the book is a humorous look at modern day relationships with addicts, alcoholic, control freaks and abusers. It is increasingly difficult to find the humor as you can imagine. This project is designed to unmask the abusers, expose their outrageous behavior and help victims cope with their pain by visiting their isues from another view. It also contains facts about the laws in this Country regarding DV and how these laws evolved. It is quite possible with all the research and writing that I have become a bit paranoid. LOL Now every one is a suspect! Some of it is momoir and the other blends in the the diverse culture we live in and the way mixed culters, relgion and other factors lead into power struggles in the home. I need to seperate myself from the emotions of this project and write it not live it.

doja

Subject of my latest book

I just finished a five-year project, Ordinary Heroes: Six Stars in the Window, the story of six brothers serving in World War II.

I've co-authored many best-selling college computer textbooks, but this is my first historical non-fiction book.

The project took much longer than I had anticipated, but it was one of the most rewarding experiences of my life. I met some fantastic people, many of them WWII veterans, and learned so much about that generation.

Ordinary Heroes: Six Stars in the Window is available in print and multi-media digital versions where "photos come to life as video." It is accompanied by a 28-minute documentary film.

To find out more--and to read the first 8 chapters in the free BookOnBrowser--vist our Web site: www.sixstarsinthewindow.com.

sherry8661

Registered
Reaction score
I just finished a memoir about growing up amidst child abuse and alcoholism. My next book is about my grandfather's years in WWII. He was a Marine in several battles.
I feel your pain. Trying write an account about someone else's life in comparison to my own is going to be beyond difficult. I also, have pages and pages of documentation and interviews I've done with him. He is now 84 and failing health so i feel even more pressure to get all his accounts on paper before I lose him! I may have to contact you for some insight.

sherry8661

Registered
Reaction score
Shawn Stevens Moore...
I just finished a book about domestic violence, sexual and child abuse, drugs, alcoholism, pedophilia, gambling, sexual addictions and financial ineptness.
I grew up with every kind of abuse and surrounded by every kind of addict there is. If you want some first hand information or insight...let me know. My book is being published right now. It is called "White Coffin, Pink Roses" and documents my life long struggle with teenage suicidal tendencies.
Thanks,
Sherry

inkkognito

Onlyifyouwanttowillyoufin daway-Enya
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.barbnefer.com
My book is/will be (halfway done) about how to become a counselor. I originally pitched a book on how to choose a counselor, and the publisher didn't think there would be enough of a market. However, he was planning a "how to beome..." guide for an ongoing series so I got a contract to write it.

Billingsgate

Disappointment to my mother
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.humorist.net
I'm writing a memoir-style account of building my own house in a rural village on an outlying island west of Hong Kong. Kind of a tragicomedy with a happy ending. Think of "A Year in Provence" crossed with Kafka's "The Trial" and any Three Stooges movie.

I wasn't going to write it, but when I start telling many of the trial and tribulation anecdotes at parties, people shut up and listen and unanimously advise me: "You should write a book". Then I started noticing that there seems to be a whole genre of books classified as I-ran-away-to-a-rural-landscape-in-another-country-and-renovated-an-old-farmhouse, but 100 percent of those take place in Provence, Tuscany, or western Spain, and every one of them involves olive oil, wine and charming villagers. There are hundreds of such memoirs. Mine involves lychees and not-so-charming local thugs. I figure two or three people on earth would ever buy such a book. Thus I'm writing it as a memoir for my kids.

I'm 30,000 words into it, probably another 60,000 to go.

jack scoltock

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackscoltock.com
My new book is called, The Meltin' Pot (From wreck to rescue to discovery).
In 1942 a B17 plane went down in Lough Foyle County Donegal Ireland. As it was sinking, a teenage girl and her sick mother sailed out into dangerous waters and rescued the American Airmen.
The book tells the story of the crew, six of the nine airmen were killed in action from three to six months after being rescued.
I was able to trace the Top turret gunner, Lee Kessler and the Captain William Curtis Melton. Curt who had cancer, came to Ireland in 2004 to thank the girl who rescued him. Elisabeth Ferguson OBE now 85 was delighted to see him after all those years.
There are 160 pages and over 100 photographs.
All the best from Ireland.
Jack

Last edited: