• Guest please check The Index before starting a thread.

Permuted Press

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
As far as I know, Permuted Press does print, or at least they are for me. As far as retail prices go, I've never had a publisher that allowed authors to set their own prices. I'm not sure what you're asking with your third question.

Brian P. White

Father, Husband, Soldier, Christian
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. So, they really ask for the entire manuscript instead of a few chapters first?

haunted

Now is the winter of my discontent.
Registered
Reaction score
Supposedly no print unless you have a special arrangement. But I believe that if you sell enough ebooks you get a chance to get in print too.

Jo Zebedee

space opera-popcorn lover!
Registered
Reaction score
Off the shoulder of Orion, not far from Belfast.
Website
Www.jozebedee.com
Thanks, Pop gun. Gu guardian, yes it's the whole mss, and watch their formatting requests - single spaced, times new roman 12 with chapter titles in arial bold.

But their email addy keeps bouncing back on me. I've run a contact form through and see if that gets sorted. :)

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Good post. I too am feeling a little unease, but I think that's probably true all the way up the line. Things in the publishing industry are changing so fast that small and even large publishers are scrambling to stay relevant and stay in business. Hence all the mergers and shedding of authors, etc. Nobody wants to go out of business.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
My unease around continuing a working relationship with Permuted Press is growing...

http://manneringbooks.com/2015/04/19/not-enjoying-the-apocalypse/

Damn, I going to be real careful or vigilant if I ever think of submitting to them again. I think I've hit them up with seven books over the years.

And the mention about low sales is something a hell of a lot of us must suffer when hooked up with a small press outfit. Been there, done that.

I've seen marketing managers crack the whip on their authors, pushing, cajoling and constantly reminding them that the success of their books were completely on the shoulders on those who'd written them. A real marketing team has a few bucks, time and energy to pump up their titles--all of their books--not just the new releases.

tri

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I've seen marketing managers crack the whip on their authors, pushing, cajoling and constantly reminding them that the success of their books were completely on the shoulders on those who'd written them.

When a publisher's marketing team is as unprofessional and as ill-informed as that, I have to wonder about the rest of the house. It puts everything into doubt for me.

Moving on to Permuted: from the link posted earlier, it seems they have now lost their distributor; and the new distributor they had lined up won't work with them either.

This is very bad news.

Print books don't sell well when their publisher has no distribution service in place.

It's difficult to get a distribution deal in the first place: you have to already have a history of good sales which is very hard without a distribution deal; and you have to have a good publication schedule matched with a strong marketing plan, and the budget to support it. Permuted is now going to have to show all these things while also overcoming whatever caused its original distributor to end their agreement. If it was ended for non-payment then it's going to be difficult to get over that hurdle with a new distributor, which will probably want extra reassurances and perhaps payments upfront. If their contract was ended because of poor sales, then that's a whole other kettle of fish.

There might well be other reasons for the termination of that contract. What ever those reasons are, they will have big implications for the future of Permuted, and its authors.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
When a publisher's marketing team is as unprofessional and as ill-informed as that, I have to wonder about the rest of the house. It puts everything into doubt for me.

Actually, this one gave me the largest advance that I've received from any small press. Such a thing can lead you to believe that everything else is shiny and in place. Not so, sometimes.

haunted

Registered
Reaction score
Publishers

When Permuted stopped allowing POD/print, that's when I left with my books.

I just wanted to say that I recently signed a book with Severed Press (horror/apoc) and am thrilled with the sales. My book has hit 4,000 Amazon ranking in USA/ #63 top 100 bestseller list, 4,000 UK, and 1,800 Canada.

They get your book out within 6 months and wow, do they ever have a following of rabid, book-buying horror, zombie and apoc fans...I heartily recommend them to anyone looking.

Last edited:

popgun62

Keeper of the pace.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.tobytatestories.com
Congrats, Debra - that's awesome! Severed seems like a good company.

My books will be released through Permuted Press starting in Sept. and will all be available in POD through Lightning Source, meaning bookstores will be able to order them. In the past I've been able to send out emails and get bookstores across the country to stock my books on the shelf, and they usually sell, so I'll probably try that again.

haunted

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Popgun-I'm hoping for the best for all my friends still with the company. They have let some low-sellers go from what I understand, which is always scary. Especially when it's often hit or miss what sells and is beyond our control.

I would have stayed if offered POD, and was hoping they would change their minds right up to the end. I'm glad your agent got that for you. It requires legwork to place POD at stores or book fairs, as well as giving 40% discount, but it's worth it.

az shea

Copy editor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aszanoni.blogspot.com
http://www.heruniversepress.com/

Looks legit, and seems to be an imprint of Permuted Press: http://www.permutedpress.com/

What do you guys think? I'm really not that great at analysing these new publishers and what to look out for. Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated! :)

Hmm. Should this imprint -- for Her Universe -- be its own thread?

Toothpaste, from just skimming this year's worth of Permuted Press, you likely want to do the usual -- stay clear for a year or so. See if Her Universe is going anywhere.

I'd heard of Her Universe via this link [which I believe I got through a SF Signals roundup fwiw].

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Her Universe was acquired by Hot Topic in '16, but has yet to resume publishing (last statement from Ms. Eckstein).

D.L. Shepherd

Revising, revising, revising...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnaowczarek.com
Is there any new info on this publisher regarding their contracts or if books are available in print?

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know about the contract but it looks like their titles are available as POD paperbacks.