Testing different covers in the marketplace

llorelei

San Francisco - Romance Author
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hello,

Any thoughts or experience on testing different book cover concepts/layouts in the marketplace. (I'm using Amazon CreateSpace). I have a cover that may be working against me. It would be great to do a whole new treatment and see if sales soar.

thx.

Drachen Jager

Professor of applied misanthropy
Registered
Reaction score
You're a self-published author with (I presume) no history, celebrity status, connections, or money to promote your novel.

There are so many things working against you.

Given the current state of the self-published market, your odds of making any kind of money from your (presumed) starting position are essentially equal to your chances of winning the lottery. Even a truly glorious cover isn't likely to help much.

llorelei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Moved to a more useful subforum for the topic :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
The easiest way to test cover options, in the absence of a full professional marketing team, is to post the options on a forum.

JournoWriter

Just the facts, please
Registered
Reaction score
It might also be helpful if you gave some sort of specifics. "Testing in the marketplace" is pretty vague.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And if your 'whole new treatment' suckers 'the marketplace' into thinking it's a whole new book, and 'the marketplace' buys the same old book again, 'the marketplace' is going to be really, really annoyed.
It's bad enough when publishers do this for new editions.

llorelei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
You're a self-published author with (I presume) no history, celebrity status, connections, or money to promote your novel.

There are so many things working against you.

Given the current state of the self-published market, your odds of making any kind of money from your (presumed) starting position are essentially equal to your chances of winning the lottery. Even a truly glorious cover isn't likely to help much.
Well, that's a cheery outlook. I'm not saying the cover is going to sell the book like crazy. But if one cover sells 5% more books than another cover, than it's worth testing. For example, 50 Shades of Grey has nothing but a necktie on the cover, whereas other romance novels have characters in sexy poses. There must be some data on performance for the various types of artwork. And regarding first time writers and how we all suck and could never expect to earn a penny, how about Margaret Atwood, L. Frank Baum, William Blake, Ken Blanchard, Robert Bly, Elizabeth Barrett Browning, Lord Byron, Willa Cather, Pat Conroy, Stephen Crane, e.e. cummings, W.E.B. DuBois, Alexander Dumas, T.S. Eliot, Lawrence Ferlinghetti, Benjamin Franklin, Zane Grey, Thomas Hardy, E. Lynn Harris, Nathaniel Hawthorne, Ernest Hemingway, Robinson Jeffers, Spencer Johnson, Stephen King, Rudyard Kipling, Louis L'Amour, D.H. Lawrence, Rod McKuen, Marlo Morgan, John Muir, Anais Nin, Thomas Paine, Tom Peters, Edgar Allen Poe, Alexander Pope, Beatrix Potter, Ezra Pound, Marcel Proust, Irma Rombauer, Carl Sandburg, Robert Service, George Bernard Shaw, Percy Bysshe Shelley, Upton Sinclair, Gertrude Stein, William Strunk, Alfred Lord Tennyson, Henry David Thoreau, Leo Tolstoi, Mark Twain, Walt Whitman, and Virginia Woolf. And here's some ebook success stories for you: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/ronald-h-balson/bestseller-success-storie_b_4064574.html

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I think part of the problem is while there may, somewhere, be data on performance of types of artwork, it isn't necessarily reliable, accurate, or applicable.

There are many different possibilities influencing a book's sales, and unless you can control for all of them it is difficult to tell whether one particular cover or another makes a huge difference.

What seems to be true is that a poorly designed cover pretty much guarantees poor sales. Beyond that, there are no guarantees.

If one type of book cover consistently sold better than others, it would dominate the market. Instead what we have is changing fashions in book covers, where a highly successful book's cover style is quickly imitated by others.

The are, to be sure, styles in book cover design that are helpful to clue potential readers in that this is something they might like. These change over time and from genre to genre. I gather, for instance, that there are tropes and expectations in romance book covers that alert readers to subtle distinctions within the genre.

I think experimenting with alternate cover designs is a reasonable thing to try. Publishers have been doing it since forever.

Veinglory's suggestion may be helpful. Might you be interested in posting possible covers here? We have numerous art and design professionals on the board who can help with a fresh eye.

Last edited:

llorelei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Thanks, Everyone. I'm wondering more about the cover concept than about the design and/ layout.
For example, which of these two covers (with entirely different concepts) do you think would be more apt to draw its genre audience?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0078IPNCW/?tag=absowrit-20

http://www.shewrites.com/profiles/b...releases-new-adult-contemporary-romance-novel

I bet if you ran one concept for a week on Amazon and another concept for a different week you would see some sort of sales difference between the two. Just wondered if anyone has tried that.

(And no, per the other email, the goal is not to dupe readers into reading the same thing twice)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
It is worth replacing your cover if you current cover is, well, bad enough to be costing you sales.

As for the covers you showed. They are indeed for uttering different types of book. But I would say the first one is adequate at best (assuming it is for something on the chick lit spectrum) but not great and rather disconcerting. I mean, where is the rest of her body?

I really only think within genre comparisons make much sense.

llorelei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Thanks, Veinglory. Most products do comparison testing. Books should be no different. It would be cool to have a site where people can vote on covers. Maybe there is a common denominator. :)

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Polenth

Mushroom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.polenthblake.com
Something that might work for what you want is to post the cover here, and ask people what sort of book they'd expect from the cover. It's the other way around to a normal critique, but if appropriateness for genre is the worry, it'll give you some answers. You'll also find if it looks amateurish, because answers could be, "I expect a book with terrible editing."

Doing something like that first seems a good idea, because it won't take you very long. Whereas making multiple covers for the same book will take a long time. You could end up spending a long time on that when you'd be better off working on something else.

I don't see general voting would work, because people will pick the prettiest even if it's completely wrong for the book.

jairey

Registered
Reaction score
Another Site

http://lousybookcovers.com/?p=3055&relatedposts_exclude=6140

This article (The site also has discussions of book covers and offers critiques) shows some books that have changed covers.

One good idea is to put together more-than-one "sample" cover and ask for feedback. You'll tend to get better information from even your best friends when they are asked to choose.

Lord of Chaos

Let Chaos reign
Registered
Reaction score
As others have said posting some examples on AW and asking for specific feedback on what the critics would expect is about the best you can get. For the specific two covers you posted I like the second better, but that isn't based on what I think is in the book (and since I don't read romance I don't have the foggiest expectations), but simply a personal preference.

While I believe a bad cover will certainly hurt your book, I believe the best attribute of a good cover is to increase the number of people who notice the book. If it's a fantastic story and everyone's talking about it, nobody's going to give two cents what the cover is and if it's a bad story a great cover won't save it--when people talk it will be about the content, not what's on the cover.

Hapax Legomenon

Registered
Reaction score
So that's your actual data? Interesting, but I wouldn't consider it all that surprising -- the second one especially looks like an ACT prep manual, not a romance cover.

llorelei

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Hapax Legomenon I agree with you about the second one, but it makes more sense when you read the subtitle: Diary of My Unexpected Passion For Another Woman." That was the first experiment toward a less overtly sexual cover. The thing about an experiment is that it can fail.