What's the longest novel you've ever written?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
40,000 words, so a novella rather than a novel. Which is OK when you realise that my first drafts are pretty bald telling-rather-than-showing extended outlines rather than actual books.

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
I missed the bonus question first time around. Honestly, i have no idea, as I never tally up wordcounts daily. However, if we take the example of the 100k novel written over 16 days, we can come up with an average of ~6k a day. Which isn't all that much when you think about it. I'm sure I used to write more like 14k at a time, once.

Courier

Times New Roman is cool too.
Registered
Reaction score
The longest story I've ever written was around 50,000 words before I abandoned it.

I personally don't like books that are 200 or 300k words long, to me they always seem to be over-written. You know, 3 pages of description about a character's hair. I like books that get to the end while still enjoying the journey. There's a balance.

Oh, and for the bonus question. Hm.. I don't really count daily words, but my guess is around 5,000. After that I'm usually beat for creativity for the day.

Atlantis

Registered
Reaction score
Over 1,000 pages long. But that was years ago when I was a much, much worse writer. I've learnt a lot about plotting and description and characters and how to cut out fluff since then. I vowed never to write something that big ever again. I used to think that the bigger something was the more impressive. No, not the case. I've been writing a short story this year and it may be small but it's better than that 1,000 tome that never went anywhere.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Longest? Uh, that'd be about 450K, a contemporary epic fantasy/police procedural in four parts (and a fifth under periodic development). It'll easily broach 500K upon completion (yeah, I know - thar' she blows!)...

The current WIP, a straight up contemporary murder mystery/police procedural, will come in at about 90K.

Ralyks

Untold stories inside
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.editorskylar.com
...ever?
Is it 300k...400k? Crazy, I know, but there are some posts I've seen here that make me think it's been done.

The longest one I've written is 16.5k...the one I'm working on now xD I just used to write flash fiction and novellas -- this is my first attempt at a 60k novel.

What about you?

Bonus Q: What's the most you've written in a day?

210k is my longest. I edited it down to a 76k novel and two 6k short stories.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
...ever?
Is it 300k...400k? Crazy, I know, but there are some posts I've seen here that make me think it's been done.

The longest one I've written is 16.5k...the one I'm working on now xD I just used to write flash fiction and novellas -- this is my first attempt at a 60k novel.

What about you?

Bonus Q: What's the most you've written in a day?

125K. It was historical and mildly epic.

My previous WIP was about 90K, not including the 200k or so of material that I relegated to "trash" files.

My current WIP is now at 35K or so, looking towards about 90-100K. I have at least 200K discarded words thus far. At this rate, I'll have almost a million discarded words by the time I'm done with the WIP!

As far as words per day . . . I don't know! Maybe as much as 6K or 7K? 8K? My writing habits are irregular, so I don't keep track.

Varthikes

Dragon Writer
Registered
Reaction score
Draconia, Orion's Arm, Alpha Quadrant, Milky Way G
My last completed novel (my second one) came to 110k.

I don't know what the most was that I've written in a day, but I do remember one day where I started around 9:00 in the morning and finished around 10:00 at night, taking a total of about 2 hours for meals and breaks. I'll never do that again.

I also started out writing short stories that averaged between 6 and 10k. Then, I got this idea one day of writing a trilogy of short stories. The idea grew until it was bordering novella- and novel-length. Now, it's 90k.

Status
Not open for further replies.