More on narration

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Raden

Banned
Reaction score
The first chapter of my WIP is more on narrative than actual dialogue. I think there is only 10% of dialogue between the MCs. Is this okay? This is my first attempt to writing a novel and my target is 60 to 70k.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
From what I reall of your earlier posts your first chapter is less than two pages!

Don't worry about dialogue/narrative ratios. Aim to make what you write interesting and give the reader reason to keep reading. Dialogue breathes life into your characters - provided they have something to talk about that's worth reading.

Press on, and read novels of the type you wish to write.

Last edited:

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
It's fine.

The same concerns come from dialogue heavy scenes.

Make sure it's interesting, part of the story and involves the characters.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When it comes down to narrative versus dialog, there are no right or wrong amounts. They are only appropriate for the scene or not. Hemingway's Old Man and the Sea is rather light on dialog. :)

Jeff

Don Raden

Banned
Reaction score
From what I reall of your earlier posts your first chapter is less than two pages!

Don't worry about dialogue/narrative ratios. Aim to make what you write interesting and give the reader reason to keep reading. Dialogue breathes life into your characters - provided they have something to talk about that's worth reading.

Press on, and read novels of the type you wish to write.
Yes, my first chapter is around 700 words. It's like a flashback so it's more on narrative. Succeeding chapters have around 1,500 to 2,500 words.
Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.