Status
Not open for further replies.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Is "towards" even a word? How can you pluralize something that is not a noun? It's not a verb either, so don't even go there. I don't get it. I cannot stand "besides" or "sideways" (I did love the movie though) either. Think about it... it seems that there are words that got misused so much that they have become mainstream. i.e. "verbiage" getting used when people actually mean "description". A lot of people do not know the *first* definition of this word...

Anyhow, are there words that you refuse to use while writing? Why?

Buffysquirrel

Registered
Reaction score
Towards isn't the plural of toward. It's a variant of the same word.

I hate 'passive', especially in its new meaning of "writing I don't like".

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
For no sensible reason, dilapidated. I just...ack! It bothers me, like certain foods gross out some people or worms bother yet others. There's probably some deep Freudian explanation.

I had a friend who hated when people used "til" for "until," even in dialog.

I'm a little nutso about usage errors, would preserve the real meanings of "nauseated" and "nauseous," "uninterested" and "disinterested," and personally, I'd only use "deplorable" to mean "lamentable." I understand that misusage of these words has elevated the alternative definitions to dictionary status in some cases, but I won't play along. But I'm so old fashioned, I wish "decimated" still meant "destroy 10% of." So don't bother about me, I'll just sit over here in the rocking chair and watch the language change, frowning all the while. "and what's with this facebook thing I've been hearing about?"

Last edited:

SomethingOrOther

-
Registered
Reaction score
Gave as in "gave a [action/gesture]," when it's not a really stock collocation like "gave a hug/kiss/BJ" or something, for no reason in particular other than I dislike it. Every time I read "gave a slight smile" or something like that, my jimmies become rustled.

Also, I read a novel recently where a train "gave a small shake" before leaving, and I wanted to say, "That's nice of you, Mr. Train. Saves the MC a trip to Wendy's."

mirandashell

Banned
Reaction score
The misuse of 'disinterested' drives me mad. It's a perfectly good word with a precise meaning. So why use it as a replacement for another perfectly good word with a totally different precise meaning?

Honestly, hearing it misused makes my fist curl.

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little nutso about usage errors, would preserve the real meanings of "nauseated" and "nauseous," "uninterested" and "disinterested," and personally, I'd only use "deplorable" to mean "lamentable." . . . But I'm so old fashioned, I wish "decimated" still meant "destroy 10% of."

I'm with you on all of these except "deplorable." I didn't know that was its original meaning.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have more of a problem with wordy or questionable cliches:

at this point in time = now

give 110% - if it is used to indicate a percent of full effort, it's impossible. If it is not used in reference to full effort, it shouldn't stand alone - it should to be specified as 110% of xxxxxx.

100% better - 100% better than what?

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
Quirk, when used as a verb. YA lit these days seems to be full of lips quirking up or down.

Okay, this meaning may be in the dictionary, but it drives me nuts. I prefer smile and frown.

lbender

Registered
Reaction score
For me, it's misquoted idioms. "In the same token" - really?

jmare

My own worst enemy
Registered
Reaction score
When people confuse i.e. with e.g. and vice versa.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score

I was once on a first date with a guy who said, "There's none so blind as those who cannot see," and I knew right away it would never work between us. Well, also, he was really boring, but butchering an idiom to make it totally pointless was the final straw.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score

Yes. Wrong prepositions. In that same vein -- bored of should be bored with!

And don't get me started on the number of people who seem to think nonplussed means the exact opposite of what it actually means.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
"Like"

Especially when used as a "filler" in *every* *single* *sentence*.

Most especially when it is used with gestures instead of words.

"And I was like...<mouth hangs open>. And then he was like...<crosses arms and frowns>".

TheWordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I, too, have big issues with poor word usage such as “towards”.
“No, ain’t no sech animal!” And then there is, "one of the best". Either it is the best or it's not!

Sideways, howev er, is a vulgar form of the old … OLD phrase “sidewise”. Through the years, it became perverted to, “sideways”.
Now, as to “Besides”.
Not sure what your offense is regarding this one. It’s a perfectly legitimate word. “Besides”, not to be confused with “beside”, is a preposition used instead of “except” or “in addition to”. In some cases, it is used as a conjunction to mean “also”.

[raf58: “"Quote" as a noun instead of a verb.”]
Well quote IS a noun! At least in some circumstances. For instance, I can quote Samuel Johnson. That’s a verb. But what I am quoting (verb) is a quote (noun) from Johnson! “Quote” as a noun, is merely an abbreviated form of the word “quotation”.
There is a very fine line here between the ‘right word’ and the ‘almost rght word’ but the difference in impact can be staggering.

Now, as for the things that drive me nuts? That would be misuse of words like there/their/they're or to/too/two or whose/who's or its/it's ... ad infinitum! And, what's worse is the fact that some of the most egregious offenders are writers! Now that really bugs me.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
"I could care less."

Couldn't, dammit, couldn't.

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Your guys's (as in, "Can I get your guys's order?)
On accident (although there is a certain logic to it)

ralf58

shhh, I'm writing
Registered
Reaction score
Well quote IS a noun! At least in some circumstances.

Yes, I know. It still bugs me. I just think it's a lot clearer if quote is the verb and quotation is the noun. (After all, thread is about words that drive you crazy, which doesn't necessarily have to be words used incorrectly.)

;)

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
I knew a PhD in education that loved "irregardless". He was crushed when I pointed that it was a mashup of regardless and irrespective and meant exactly the opposite of what he thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.