Words that drive you crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmare

My own worst enemy
Registered
Reaction score
Another one I have a problem with is disingenuous.

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Quirk, when used as a verb. YA lit these days seems to be full of lips quirking up or down.

Okay, this meaning may be in the dictionary, but it drives me nuts. I prefer smile and frown.

It's not in the dictionary I checked! A sudden unexpected twist? How is a smile or eyebrow movement a sudden unexpected twist. :gaah This one fills me with rage. YA is not the only offender. I've also seen it in UF. For some reason I think it is a terrible word misuse that escaped from fanfic to terrorize innocent novels.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I dislike most written slang terms. I especially dislike fiction that tries to bring slang into the conversation. "Whas'up bro?" "Y'all c'mon back!" "What'cha doing'?" Especially every other sentence.

For some reason, I absolutely hate the phrase "As you'll see..." I know whatever comes after it will be both boring and a lot more obvious than the time it takes to tell.

Jeff

TheWordsmith

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I knew a PhD in education that loved "irregardless". He was crushed when I pointed that it was a mashup of regardless and irrespective and meant exactly the opposite of what he thought.

And the biggest problem with that one is that those who use the "word" are absolutely stricken to have someone correct them on that. (And it drives me bonkers to hear people say it.)

Another one that I have heard that, to this day, gives me chills. Mispronunciation of the 'mischievous'. Can we please NOT say 'mis-chee-vee-ous'!

Roger J Carlson

Moderator In Name Only
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, 'preventative' or 'preventive'?

Where I work, we are not allowed to use preventative. (Although I do, just to cause trouble.)

TudorRose

not napping... brainstorming!
Registered
Reaction score
It's not in the dictionary I checked! A sudden unexpected twist? How is a smile or eyebrow movement a sudden unexpected twist. :gaah This one fills me with rage. YA is not the only offender. I've also seen it in UF. For some reason I think it is a terrible word misuse that escaped from fanfic to terrorize innocent novels.

The online Oxford does list it as

verb

(with reference to a person’s mouth or eyebrow) move or twist suddenly, especially to express surprise or amusement: [no object]: his lips quirked disbelievingly
That doesn't make it any less of an abomination though :mob

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Loose for lose and all the variations. You're all a bunch of loosers!

Alright makes my eye twitch.

lorna_w

Hybrid Grump
Registered
Reaction score
Drifting from fiction, bureaucrats mangling the language, and "coinaging" new words. Recently watched a TV documentary in which a D.C. bureaucrat used the word "planification," as in "the planification for this eventuality is ongoing." "We continue to make plans" apparently wasn't clear enough.

Donald Westlake had a wonderful scene about this "tendencyment" in Brothers Keepers, but then, if the topic is language, Donald Westlake probably wrote a wonderful and funny scene about it.

brianjanuary

Registered
Reaction score
I see the "loose" for "lose" mistake all the time and its like fingernails on a blackboard! I'm mystified about how it originated!

JLBrady

up to no good
Registered
Reaction score
Kumquat.

Otherwise, I agree with irregardless and alright. And over-the-top adverbs.

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
toward vs. towards is a regional thing. I think "towards" is more common in Britain. There are several threads in the grammar forum about it.

I really dislike "belly" for whatever reason, so I never use it.

Devil Ledbetter

Come on you stranger, you legend,
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Nothing screams "Hey, look at me everybody! I'm WRITING!" quite like the word "akimbo."

Persei

Let it go
Registered
Reaction score
"Gaze" or "gazed". It's more about the context they are used, though. Most of the times, I see these words in sappy romances that I hate but bring myself to read. In other contexts, they are fine.

ladyleeona

fluently sarcastic grandma offender
Registered
Reaction score
Not a word specifically, but the confusion/misuse of since and because makes me want to headdesk.

Beachgirl

Not easily managed
Registered
Reaction score
Where are you at?

Or the shorter version: Where you at?

Which, coincidentally, were the exact words a stranger texted to me at 2-freaking-am today.

I may have actually used an inappropriate idiom in replying to let them know they had the wrong number.

TheGrayLady

hide and seek
Registered
Reaction score
"Till," unless you are churning up dirt. A lot of dictionaries say it's fine, but it makes me cringe. Take the time and write "until," man.

'til really makes me cringe too. what's wrong with writing out the full word?

Also, glaring redundancies (i.e. "I had to redo the test again"). Unless you did it once and then twice after that, you did not "redo it again."

To be fair I hear this more in everyday speech than I see it in writing. Doesn't make it any less annoying though.

Status
Not open for further replies.