Are you ever scared to write the sequel(s)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

pgermanos

Prima Donna Girl
Registered
Reaction score
So this might sound like a dumb question, but if you have a series outlined/planned, do you ever feel a lot of pressure/freak yourself out about writing the second book? Only reason I'm asking is, I have obviously written my first book in a series I have outlined, and right now I am in the process of querying/letting some beta readers read it so I can get as much feedback as possible. I wasn't expecting that all 10 of these people would love my book so much, they are actually emailing me once a week asking if I have stuff from the second book ready for them to read, despite the fact I don't even have the first book published. Now I'm really scared that I'll somehow lose my ability to write or keep the next part of the story as good as the first one, because when you are writing a series (imo) you need the sequels to be better than their predecessors. At first I was going to completely wait until I had an agent before working on the sequel, but I'm slowly starting to work on it but I keep procrastinating on really sitting down for a writing session since I am so nervous about letting people down.

I apologize about the word vomit, but basically, anyone have advise about staying calm and cool about writing the sequel(s)?

DanielaTorre

Registered
Reaction score
I think that freaking out is probably the most natural thing to do. I've heard of writers who've become severely depressed after their book sold well and were asked to write a follow up. But you must (and probably will) come up with a good story for the second and get over your blues. I suggest that you take a deep breath and give the sequel some time to simmer in your head before throwing anything concrete down on paper.

Work as much as possible on making your first book perfect and then dedicate yourself to finding someone to represent it. Don't let 10 people make you rush through your sequel. If they really like it, they'll wait until it comes.

While you're submitting it, calmly return to your sequel.

pgermanos

Prima Donna Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I think that freaking out is probably the most natural thing to do. I've heard of writers who've become severely depressed after their book sold well and were asked to write a follow up. But you must (and probably will) come up with a good story for the second and get over your blues. I suggest that you take a deep breath and give the sequel some time to simmer in your head before throwing anything concrete down on paper.

Work as much as possible on making your first book perfect and then dedicate yourself to finding someone to represent it. Don't let 10 people make you rush through your sequel. If they really like it, they'll wait until it comes.

While you're submitting it, calmly return to your sequel.

that is really good advice! haha, thank you! it's almost like I'm just scared to jinx myself if I write the sequel before I get an agent, but I guess I have read some queries where people mention they are working on the sequel. I also think I set really high expectations for myself, and I definitely don't want to be an author who disappoints readers with the second book-especially since I have 4 books outlined!

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I have a tentative duology in the works, and I'm not too terribly concerned. (This could be because no.1 is only 75% done and I have just begun to plan for no.2 this week.) I would advise telling all the people who are stressing you out to back off. Then take a deep breath. I think you're psyching yourself up with this huge expectation of a perfect draft--which is impossible--and thereby killing your writing abilities for the moment. It's OK if the sequel's initial draft isn't as good as the first novel. That's what editing is for. :)

pgermanos

Prima Donna Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I have a tentative duology in the works, and I'm not too terribly concerned. (This could be because no.1 is only 75% done and I have just begun to plan for no.2 this week.) I would advise telling all the people who are stressing you out to back off. Then take a deep breath. I think you're psyching yourself up with this huge expectation of a perfect draft--which is impossible--and thereby killing your writing abilities for the moment. It's OK if the sequel's initial draft isn't as good as the first novel. That's what editing is for. :)

wow yes I definitely need to do that! LOL because somehow "well, I want to wait until I have an agent interested in at least reading part of the manuscript until I work on book 2" does not translate well to these people XD

"It's OK if the sequel's initial draft isn't as good as the first novel. That's what editing is for. :)" and thanks for this reminder-- I think I really just forget this, even though it seems like it should be so obvious. :Shrug:

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I'm terrified of writing the sequels. Three of my publishers have given me the suggestion to do this. That's one hell of a workload for even one. But I'm well aware that sequels, trilogies and series books sell a hell of a lot better than stand-alones. I'm finding that out right now. You could have ten books up on Amazon, but if they are all different genres and categories you won't push as many. You'll also confuse your readers.

I have yet to make the series plunge. I'm waiting for a much larger sale than small press or even larger independents. That's when I'll make the big push. If no sale comes from the majors I'll have to pick one of my books. And it will probably be the one with the best tract record of sales and popularity.

tri

buz

edits all posts at least four times
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
'Sok. You just need to dive in, hey?

DAMN THE TORPEDOES
PEE INTO THE WIND
WRITE THE SEQUEL

--signed, a person who has never written a sequel

John342

Registered
Reaction score
I guess it depends where you are in your opinion of your writing. Having 10 people say it's great is heady stuff. I would caution you to take positive feedback from well wishers with a "grain of salt" as it were.

Most of my work is sequel ready. While I haven't been published, I have a few works ready, and some that aren't so ready but could be with a revisit. Early on I always wrote sequels, now I tend to write a brief outline of a sequel, if it is requested (as I see it then), file it away, and move on to a fresh project.

Getting published is the next great accomplishment after you've finished a work. You really need to present it in the best possible light, and so fresh projects & sequels, as someone else mentioned, should wait until you've submitted.

My view on sequels is that you really need to get published. If you write a sequel to a book that gets roundly rejected then you are wasting effort. A fresh piece may hit a cord that the first didn't.

As far as fear of diving into your sequel, I can't speak to that. I always have fun with the characters I create, even the jerks, so I can't imagine being scared that the sequel won't be as good as the first.

Hope this helps.

pgermanos

Prima Donna Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I guess it depends where you are in your opinion of your writing. Having 10 people say it's great is heady stuff. I would caution you to take positive feedback from well wishers with a "grain of salt" as it were.

Most of my work is sequel ready. While I haven't been published, I have a few works ready, and some that aren't so ready but could be with a revisit. Early on I always wrote sequels, now I tend to write a brief outline of a sequel, if it is requested (as I see it then), file it away, and move on to a fresh project.

Getting published is the next great accomplishment after you've finished a work. You really need to present it in the best possible light, and so fresh projects & sequels, as someone else mentioned, should wait until you've submitted.

My view on sequels is that you really need to get published. If you write a sequel to a book that gets roundly rejected then you are wasting effort. A fresh piece may hit a cord that the first didn't.

As far as fear of diving into your sequel, I can't speak to that. I always have fun with the characters I create, even the jerks, so I can't imagine being scared that the sequel won't be as good as the first.

Hope this helps.
all of that helps! and I'm glad that people aren't afraid to be honest- I mean it's my gut to focus really hard on my first book and make sure I have an agent before I move forward, because I don't like to waste my time (although, I know it's good to practice writing even if it isn't something you are going to try to publish)
the thing is, I am in LOVE with my story - like honestly, even if all my 10 betas said "oh, this isn't too good" I would still have to continue writing it just for my own sake because it's a fun escape and I enjoy letting these characters take over my brain and tell me this story... if that even makes sense. is it weird to love your own book?

pgermanos

Prima Donna Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I'm terrified of writing the sequels. Three of my publishers have given me the suggestion to do this. That's one hell of a workload for even one. But I'm well aware that sequels, trilogies and series books sell a hell of a lot better than stand-alones. I'm finding that out right now. You could have ten books up on Amazon, but if they are all different genres and categories you won't push as many. You'll also confuse your readers.

I have yet to make the series plunge. I'm waiting for a much larger sale than small press or even larger independents. That's when I'll make the big push. If no sale comes from the majors I'll have to pick one of my books. And it will probably be the one with the best tract record of sales and popularity.

tri

thanks for your feedback :) it sounds like you should start writing sequels though! haha no pressure!

pgermanos

Prima Donna Girl
Registered
Reaction score
'Sok. You just need to dive in, hey?

DAMN THE TORPEDOES
PEE INTO THE WIND
WRITE THE SEQUEL

--signed, a person who has never written a sequel

HAHAHA omg this really made me smile! but I am going to save this on my computer everytime I need some encouragement to work on book 2 XD

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
wow yes I definitely need to do that! LOL because somehow "well, I want to wait until I have an agent interested in at least reading part of the manuscript until I work on book 2" does not translate well to these people XD

"It's OK if the sequel's initial draft isn't as good as the first novel. That's what editing is for. :)" and thanks for this reminder-- I think I really just forget this, even though it seems like it should be so obvious. :Shrug:

That's what we're for. :D Moral support and all that. :Hug2:

pgermanos

Prima Donna Girl
Registered
Reaction score
That's what we're for. :D Moral support and all that. :Hug2:

I honestly didn't realize how much help this place would be. I just expected to come on here to get help with shaping up my query- I've been browsing the forums all day and I can tell I am going to get a lot out of this place throughout all my writing endeavors :)

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I honestly didn't realize how much help this place would be. I just expected to come on here to get help with shaping up my query- I've been browsing the forums all day and I can tell I am going to get a lot out of this place throughout all my writing endeavors :)

I don't think anyone knows how helpful AW really is until they make an account and lurk about. There's just so much to it. :)

pgermanos

Prima Donna Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think anyone knows how helpful AW really is until they make an account and lurk about. There's just so much to it. :)

I'm scared I might already be addicted, and being addicted to another internet site is the last thing I need! LOL

rwm4768

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
When I wrote my first series, I didn't even think about all this stuff with getting published. I just wanted to write the rest of the story, so I wasn't scared to write the sequels. Now, however, it gives me pause because I want to know I'm working on something that will lead me to publication. Writing a sequel doesn't achieve that goal.

pgermanos

Prima Donna Girl
Registered
Reaction score
When I wrote my first series, I didn't even think about all this stuff with getting published. I just wanted to write the rest of the story, so I wasn't scared to write the sequels. Now, however, it gives me pause because I want to know I'm working on something that will lead me to publication. Writing a sequel doesn't achieve that goal.

this is also how I feel about my book. I just refuse to think it will never not be published, so I want to focus on book 1 completely until I get an agent and know things will work out and that i'll have to write the sequel! (because the book ends in a major cliff-hanger)

pgermanos

Prima Donna Girl
Registered
Reaction score
No. I guess I never gave myself time to think about being freaked. I wrote my sequel almost immediately after I finished the first and started subbing it.

That was pretty smart of you. I sort of wish I did that-- I think I would have if I wasn't in school and studying for finals and so I had to take a break from writing. :l

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
I've never been afraid of the sequel [writing the last chapter and a half of book 2 of a hopeful series.]

My main concern has always been 'second book syndrome,' can I do this all over again? And of course, with a sequel the stakes for the writer are higher. I've written books before that have ran out of juice at 20,000, and just won't work. So when that happens in a series, you panic and see your planned series disappear down the Tiber. The WIP is hard, and that's probably down to subject matter, and research required.

But that's the thing with the next book, it has to be better than the last for the reader, and push the writer to develop.

Rufus Coppertop

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I can't wait to finish rewriting this one so I can get on with the sequel.

John342

Registered
Reaction score
the thing is, I am in LOVE with my story -

... if that even makes sense. is it weird to love your own book?

Nice... God bless you. I think a lot of the writers here share this with you... I do.

pgermanos

Prima Donna Girl
Registered
Reaction score
I've never been afraid of the sequel [writing the last chapter and a half of book 2 of a hopeful series.]

My main concern has always been 'second book syndrome,' can I do this all over again? And of course, with a sequel the stakes for the writer are higher. I've written books before that have ran out of juice at 20,000, and just won't work. So when that happens in a series, you panic and see your planned series disappear down the Tiber. The WIP is hard, and that's probably down to subject matter, and research required.

But that's the thing with the next book, it has to be better than the last for the reader, and push the writer to develop.

yes yes exactly all of this! haha oh writing series is a wonderful thing, isn't it? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.