What Makes A Great Last Sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gothicangel

Toughen up.
Registered
Reaction score
While finishing the first draft of the WIP [Yay, it's been hellish!], I realised I had a decision do I finish with dialogue or description. And that made me think, what does make a good last sentence? In the end I opted for a symbolic last sentence, that reflected the story and its themes.

So, I think my answer is, I like an emotionally compelling last sentence. Something that is going to have me thinking about that book tomorrow morning, and beyond.

Thoughts?

Kerosene

Your Pixie Queen
Registered
Reaction score
I like overly simple sentences.

This is branching from the Iceberg Theory a bit.

I would say: That something that inspires the reader; not by the complexity or poetic nature; but stemming from the characters and events leading up to the last sentence. And that equates to a neutral, simple sentence that reflects the nature of the story and characters.

I wouldn't opt for telling though. That's, really cliche to me.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The End.

Seriously, it all depends on the story and the way it ends. Whatever it is, that last sentence shoudn't seem forced, so just let it come out naturally from the story. If a writer tries to get too artsy or too deep, it may turn out laughable rather than pensive.

Little Anonymous Me

Registered
Reaction score
I vote for the simple ones. :) My last WIP ended with "The first step away was the hardest."

ishtar'sgate

living in the past
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linneaheinrichs.com
I like a final sentence that takes me full circle and ties me to the first sentence. Not sure why this appeals to me but it does. I seldom see it but when I do it's satisfying.

Ken

Banned
Kind Benefactor
Reaction score
... as long as it's satisfying in some way. There are a multitude of ways of achieving that of course. Sometimes last sentences don't even need to be great. They're better off just being ordinary. That works fine. I've read novels with such that just faded out at the end. So there really are a lot of different approaches. I opt for ambiguity myself.

mkeyth

Registered
Reaction score
In my opinion, the last sentence should end the book like TV series do, meaning, it should be shocking, a smooth transition to the sequel.

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
In my opinion, the last sentence should end the book like TV series do, meaning, it should be shocking, a smooth transition to the sequel.

OK. What if the book is a standalone?

The best, best best endings in my opinion are the ones that somehow sum up the book in some way, or add another layer of context. They make the reader feel complete and satisfied, make the story feel rounded.

I love it when a book ends the same way it started, with the same or a similar line, but now it has more context. It can (in skilled hands) really bring the story home to you, often with a bittersweet feeling.

I actually remember much fewer endings than beginnings, probably because I re-read so much. And, the previous things escluded, the last line is less important to me than the last page or paragraph. I think LoTR actually manages to get both a really good last section AND a last line, but some of my favourite endings didn't have a memorable last line, but they did have an end that made me cry, or cheer, or want to sing.

WildScribe

Slave to the Wordcount
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
I love it when a book ends the same way it started, with the same or a similar line, but now it has more context. It can (in skilled hands) really bring the story home to you, often with a bittersweet feeling.

The problem is, I see this so much in these horribly cliche ways that just make the ending cheesy.

I write romance, so my last sentences are often dialog but sometimes actions, either one implying a happily ever after without actually saying so (because telling... is cheesy.)

Anninyn

Stealing your twiglets.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.fivesquids.co.uk
The problem is, I see this so much in these horribly cliche ways that just make the ending cheesy.

I write romance, so my last sentences are often dialog but sometimes actions, either one implying a happily ever after without actually saying so (because telling... is cheesy.)

Oh, absolutely. Most of the times I see it done it's done really poorly. But if done in a good book with a skilled writer that uses other interesting narrative techniques, it can be wonderful.

Reaction score
A payoff.

One of the best reviews I ever had said the entire book was like holding her breath, and the last line was where she exhaled.

ccarver30

Nicole Castro
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.amazon.com
Something that makes the reader smile or smirk. Like SP said, it has to be a something that would make the reader nod their head and feel like reading the book wasn't a waste of time. It really can make or break the feeling the book leaves you with, in my opinion.

Spell-it-out

I'm gonna give all my secrets away
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like to finish with an action that isn't out of character or surprising, one that the reader could close the book with and think, "Yeah, that happened." I use the last 25% of the book to provide the twists, the last sentence (in my opinion) should be a natural follow-on from preceding events, I don't try to end with some wise muttering that's turns out to be irrelevant :)

Quiessa

Still thin skinned
Registered
Reaction score
I like overly simple sentences.

This is branching from the Iceberg Theory a bit.

I would say: That something that inspires the reader; not by the complexity or poetic nature; but stemming from the characters and events leading up to the last sentence. And that equates to a neutral, simple sentence that reflects the nature of the story and characters.

I wouldn't opt for telling though. That's, really cliche to me.

I agree with this, I like something quite understated but that makes you catch your breath when you read it.

Edit: my favourite ending of all:

So, good night unto you all.
Give me your hands, if we be friends,
And Robin shall restore amends.

I adore that :)

Witch_turtle

hanging around for a spell
Registered
Reaction score
I usually hate final lines. Can't really think of a book where the final line felt satisfying to me.

Wait! Yes I can...Stiefvater's "Shiver." Normally I don't even like YA, but I read that book on a recommendation and the final few lines gave me chills, followed by a great, wistful contentment. The main characters got their happy ending in a beautiful whisper, right at the very last moment, rather than the colourful hullabaloo that seems to come with most happy-ending books and their denouements.

I suppose I like a final line that reflects back on the entire story somehow, more so than implying a particular future.

Jehhillenberg

N/A
Registered
Reaction score
I like a final sentence that takes me full circle and ties me to the first sentence. Not sure why this appeals to me but it does. I seldom see it but when I do it's satisfying.

Yeah me too, I've come to realize. And it's what I try to go for in my WIPs.

Simplicity goes a long way too; concise and precise words in a brief line that makes me or the reader think on it for a while.

SeanCordernay

Registered
Reaction score
For me, I like a final sentence that's declarative yet terse. Nothing to overly complicated or mysterious. It really should leave the reader in a sense of awe for your book.

Libbie

Worst song played on ugliest guitar
Registered
Reaction score
So, I think my answer is, I like an emotionally compelling last sentence. Something that is going to have me thinking about that book tomorrow morning, and beyond.

I like that as well. I like a final sentence that leaves me thinking, and remembering the rest of the book.

Recently I read a fantastic book that I enjoyed nearly all the way through, but I was very unimpressed with the last few sentences. I felt it ended on a big flop when it could have ended on something as strong as the rest of the book had been. I think the final impression is as important as the first impression.

Coop720

Registered
Reaction score
I have a lecturer at university for poetry and whenever he reads verse aloud, he always finishes the last line with this amazing intonation, almost like its a question. It sounds so great when he does it. Weird, I know haha

But I always imagine that voice when I'm going for the last sentence :p

CJ.Wolfe

Close your eyes and jump
Registered
Reaction score
I like to finish with an action that isn't out of character or surprising, one that the reader could close the book with and think, "Yeah, that happened." I use the last 25% of the book to provide the twists, the last sentence (in my opinion) should be a natural follow-on from preceding events, I don't try to end with some wise muttering that's turns out to be irrelevant :)

This, to be able to nod and smile and feel content that the book ended and think... yeah... I enjoyed that.

I can't remember what the end sentence of Inheritance was, but I remember that I liked it. I closed the book and I smiled. Everything was wrapped up nicely and it was over and I was happy.

I also like the end of HP & Philosophers Stone. 'Like Hagrid says, what is coming will come, and we'll be here to meet it when it does' Or something to that effect anyways :p

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
I debated how my first book would end until a week or so before I had to send the final version to the publishers. In the end, I went with the original last line instead of adding another one which, I realised, didn't actually add anything and took away a bit from one of the characters.

I suppose I'm happiest with the right last line - whether that adds to the story or a character or whatever. Just give me the right last line.

Sentosa

Banned
Reaction score
And the the lights all over the world went out.

Read that about 30-ish years ago. Don't remember the author or title, but never forgot that final sentence.

Status
Not open for further replies.