Question to non-english speaking writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don Raden

Banned
Reaction score
In writing a novel, do you write it first in your native language and translate later to English, or do you write it directly in English?

I tried writing directly in English but the time is not really cooperating with me. I am stuck on second chapter and I lost motivation and drive to continue. I finally decided to write it in Tagalog and will translate later.. It's 10x faster but I am not sure yet if I can translate the whole thing without losing the emotions.

What do you think? How do you do it?

Thank you

sprogspasser

Registered
Reaction score
It s better to have a story in Tagalog then no story at all. Worry about translation when you come to it. To repeat the mantra often heard on these august boards "Get the story down"

Ashurita

Registered
Reaction score
Website
grumpyangel.net
Well, although I don't have any finished novels yet, I have to chip in.

I write them in either native or English depending on circumstances- it really depends on the target audience (if I'm writing for my friends more than for myself, if I'm writing for a specific target audience that I know doesn't do so well in my own language, etc), on if I feel the story can be told better in one language or the other, and ultimately, personal mood.

But I agree that you should focus on writing it first and translating later. Nothing can be translated exactly the same way without some loss along the way, however there are many ways in translation to convey the same feelings, it just takes different words sometimes.

Basically, if you're more comfortable writing in Tagalog, then write it in Tagalog. Worrying about the translation can come once you're done with the novel.

Don Raden

Banned
Reaction score
Thank you.. I am doing good right now writing in my own language. I have to complete the story first then check everything when done, including translation..

Rhea

Las brujas son sabias
Registered
Reaction score
I'm better writing in English than in my native tongue. In the latter, all the phrases seem trivial, some are downright clichés. Writing in English frees me somehow from the restraints of my native tongue and I feel so much better when writing.
And since idiomatic English has never been my favorite branch of linguistics, I can pretty much ignore it and write what I want, not what the language wants me to write :)
If you feel better writing in your language, go ahead and do it, but I recommend somebody else translate it (or better yet, co-operate with someone on the translation).

Don Raden

Banned
Reaction score
I'm better writing in English than in my native tongue. In the latter, all the phrases seem trivial, some are downright clichés. Writing in English frees me somehow from the restraints of my native tongue and I feel so much better when writing.
And since idiomatic English has never been my favorite branch of linguistics, I can pretty much ignore it and write what I want, not what the language wants me to write :)
If you feel better writing in your language, go ahead and do it, but I recommend somebody else translate it (or better yet, co-operate with someone on the translation).

I think the problem with me is that, I know how to speak 3 major languages and 4 dialects. This is the reason why everything is mixed-up. English is just my 3rd language and Tagalog is just second. My first language is Hiligaynon. I can also speak an average Nihonggo and Spanish. Nothing is mastered... :(

lambauman

Registered
Reaction score
I hear you. I am stuck between languages too, even though I only know two. (Chinese three dialects, and English, with a little Nihongo mixed in too.) Whatever I learned something in one language I'll always think in that language. That's why I do basic math in Chinese but calculus in English. I have been using English predominantly for the last 20 years. Doesn't make my English better, just make my Chinese worse.

Well, whatever language you pick, there are bound to be some phrases/concept that you need to translate. And some phrases/concepts are simply untranslatable, unless without losing favor. So, to me, translating a finished story will be partial rewrite.

Right now I write in English because Chinese is a pain to type. However, if it is easier for you to write in Tagalog, by all means get the story written first, even just an outline. Some progress is better than no progress.

Don Raden

Banned
Reaction score
How is a "non-English speaking writer" going to understand the question?

caw

My mistake.
My question is directed to writers who don't speak English as their first language.

BTW, I am writing in mix (Tagalog-English) right now, and some spanish. There are things I can write in English but not in Tagalog and vice versa.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There are things I can write in English but not in Tagalog and vice versa.

I wasn't trying to be snarky in my preceding post, by the way, just amused. But this is a fascinating comment, something that has never occurred to me as an issue with multilingual people. It would be very interesting if you could be more specific, as to what kinds of things work best in which language.

Some very famous writers (Samuel Beckett, Vladimir Nabokov) have succeeded in more than one language, and some others (Joseph Conrad) have become geniuses in a second language. I do decent Spanish, and have toyed with a story in Spanish, plus possible translation of a couple of my English stories, but am not good enough to make it work, I've decided.

caw

Ashurita

Registered
Reaction score
Website
grumpyangel.net
I hear you. I am stuck between languages too, even though I only know two. (Chinese three dialects, and English, with a little Nihongo mixed in too.) Whatever I learned something in one language I'll always think in that language. That's why I do basic math in Chinese but calculus in English. I have been using English predominantly for the last 20 years. Doesn't make my English better, just make my Chinese worse.

Well, whatever language you pick, there are bound to be some phrases/concept that you need to translate. And some phrases/concepts are simply untranslatable, unless without losing favor. So, to me, translating a finished story will be partial rewrite.

This is true. My Spanish is honestly getting worse since I've been using English almost solely every day on writing. Thankfully, since I have to use Spanish every day outside the typing world, I've only lost the fancier vocabulary for writing (amazing -and kind of sad- how ten years ago I could write better in Spanish than now... )
And my Japanese has definitely degraded to almost nothing from lack of usage.

But, the thinking in the language you learn (or use at the time) is also true, as is the fact that you (Don Raden) remarked- such as some things being easier to write in one language than another. Sometimes we just find better words, or rather words that sound prettier, in another language than the one the main story is written in. It's happened before.

And also, true that for a writer to do their own translation it would probably end up as a partial rewrite; I think because we'd want to have it as close to faithful to the original meaning as we could get, it would be difficult to translate your own story (I do think it may finish up rewritten as a slightly different version, instead of a translation, haha).

Don Raden

Banned
Reaction score
But, the thinking in the language you learn (or use at the time) is also true, as is the fact that you (Don Raden) remarked- such as some things being easier to write in one language than another. Sometimes we just find better words, or rather words that sound prettier, in another language than the one the main story is written in. It's happened before.

I can write 100% in English but it would probably take me more than a year to finish my novel and I can't wait that long as I might lose my excitement and motivation.

Writing in pure Tagalog is a real pain as well. Honestly, people in Philippines does not buy Tagalog Pocket books anymore as they sounds too corny and dull. Our local novel writing business is dead a couple of decades ago.

Our official language (Tagalog) is not 100% Tagalog anymore. Daily conversation between normal people have around 20% usage of English.

As I continue to write my first novel, I found it easier to write in mixed languages and I think I can handle the translation well later on. I might probably hire some freelance published editors to check everything.

Diver

keyboard crawler
Registered
Reaction score
While I’ve not a finished novel by my name, I feel for you.

I learnt English as an expat when I was eleven. Two years later I was back at home country. Since then, my closest and dearest connection to English has been through novels; to the point where I knew what a word meant but had no idea how to pronounce it…

In my limited experience, different languages command a different set of mind. My train of thought may go every other way depending on the language I’m doing the processing with. Perhaps a linguist on board can shed more light in this regard? Otherwise a psychiatrist would do – I have insurance. :tongue

Anyway, I can see advantages to writing with a brain of two minds… ;)

Bottom line, I write in the language the text is intended for.

Status
Not open for further replies.