Status
Not open for further replies.

Melanii

Talking Fruit
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thestrawberryscribe.wordpress.com
The library seems like a better than stories.

But ah wells. I figured I'd just ask anyway. Making comics doesn't actually appear to me that much (too much pressure with all those angles and tones and colors and consistently). *shrugs*

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
I am so bummed out to admit that you're right... I'll just knock out the cashier and put the code into the register :hooray:

...kidding?
Given the breadth of topics that have appeared here, I would not be surprised if 'leave box of books at bookstore, get very upset when they were thrown away' is something that has happened, multiple times.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
It has happened, Thomas. I've spoken to booksellers who have had to deal with the books, and the authors concerned. That's how I know it's a really bad idea.

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
The libraries here in New Zealand, at least in our biggest city, do buy POD books, and self published books. if the first publishing date is in the last ten years, and if a person with a local library card requests they buy a specific title published within the last ten years. They put special clear covers over the POD books to protect them.

ebrillblaiddes

Registered
Reaction score
First, these random books probably don't have the necessarily sturdy binding, and then they've got to hunt down all the data they need for the catalog, which I'm betting most self-publishers don't think about.
Add in the time and cost of a circulation bar-code, (or the little slip and pocket in really old-school systems) and the stamping and labeling, and really, shelf space is in short supply; did they want this book in the first place?
Does this tend to mean that a donated self-pubbed book would be looked upon more favorably by a library if it were hardback and came with a sheet of catalog information and a few dollars for their time? Donating a copy to a local library is something I've thought vaguely about doing (my marketing plans are all vague right now -- the probable self-pub book is still a WIP, so if I have something figured out by the time I'm close to pushing the button I'll be happy) and if I include that in the plan I'd like to do it right.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Does this tend to mean that a donated self-pubbed book would be looked upon more favorably by a library if it were hardback and came with a sheet of catalog information and a few dollars for their time?

The main thing libraries want is good books, which their customers are going to want. The problem with a lot of self published books is that they don't fit into those categories.

IF your book is good, and is likely to be in demand, then offering them a hardback rater than a POD paperback is a good start. A sheet of catalogue information is not what they'll want: you'll need to have a standard copyright page (look in a book from a big trade publisher to find out how to do that). If you offer them money you're likely to get a cold, hard stare. I wouldn't.

Donating a copy to a local library is something I've thought vaguely about doing (my marketing plans are all vague right now -- the probable self-pub book is still a WIP, so if I have something figured out by the time I'm close to pushing the button I'll be happy) and if I include that in the plan I'd like to do it right.

Develop a good relationship with your librarians before you go ahead. Find out what they want. Let them see that you're interested in the work they do, and the events they put on, and they're more likely to look kindly upon your efforts. If it's clear you're only interested in them in order to promote your book, they are less likely to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.