• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What's On Your Mind About Your Writing?

Kincaid

Registered
Reaction score
I'm just not very good. Not nearly as good as I thought I was. But I want to finish this story anyway, even if it's terrible.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
Just can't maintain the fiction flow after knocking myself out on freelance stuff. Have got to get enough cabbage to switch Internet browsers by the end of June and that could cost me quite a hunk because of the deposit, either for a DSL phone connection hookup or a broadband router expense. Jesus Crikey.

WriterInChains

Feed my eyes
Registered
Reaction score
Was feeling like a total hack about an hour ago but Kiddo gave me a pep talk so I cracked open the ms & took a stab at editing. It amazes me to find connections that I hadn't planned but make total sense. I'm in awe of whatever part of me wrote the pages I just worked on -- if I could bottle that, I'd be independently wealthy. Or at least maybe I wouldn't feel like a total hack every other day . . .

Tepelus

And so...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
keskedgell.blogspot.com
Made it just past the halfway mark on edit round number three. Slowly but surely I'm getting there, though I'm way behind on my goal for this year of starting to query by now and having more of MS2 done. Eh, things will get done when they get done.

southbel

Bless Your Heart
Registered
Reaction score
I love to write things that are mysterious and a bit thrilling but I'm much better at writing humor. It's a problem.

WriteMinded

Derailed
Registered
Reaction score
On Thursday I wrote two chapters. Crap. Well, not so much crap as drivel.

This is an ongoing problem for me. The ongoing problem. I could - and do - follow my guys around putting their interesting lives on paper (or computer screen), but I cannot sort out what needs to be there and what doesn't. I never know where to go next, so I get stuck, over and over and over again.

I'm stuck - again. Yeah, I know I said that already. I'm pissed off at myself. I want to bite something.

JDarvinWords

sex/rage through song/dance
Registered
Reaction score
I hate working overnights. The only time I get to write is during the day, when I'm supposed to be spending time with my pregnant girlfriend, cleaning house, walking my dog, or just relaxing and preparing for another night at work. They say if you love what you do, you'll never work a day in your life. Right? Well, I've never loved anything I've ever done but writing. I wish I could just make money that way.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
I just reached the last line of my 200-pages A5 notepad. That's some sort of milestone, right?

Shadow

New kid, be gentle!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
storiesyoumightlike.wordpress.com
Just wrote another story late last night(well it was in the AM so this morning). Came outta nowhere after looking up The Most Beautiful Girl in Town(after someone here mentioned Charles Bukowski) anyway the story just started to flow after I wrote down the first line. Love when that happens.

lalyil

The Lukewarm
Registered
Reaction score
Received critique that my villain is amazing but my hero isn't as well developed. So eventually decided to add a son to the story, to play on the hero's emotions and develop him. I'm quite excited to write that in.

Raindrop

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, and it's the best thing about writing longhand.
Do you have another notebook exactly the same lined up?
Yes. Exactly the same one. Pukka-Pad, A5, lined notebook. 200 pages, four of which I've already covered in chicken-scratches! :snoopy:

Immortal

Lord of the Sad and Lonely
Registered
Reaction score
Received critique that my villain is amazing but my hero isn't as well developed. So eventually decided to add a son to the story, to play on the hero's emotions and develop him. I'm quite excited to write that in.

Heroes are such a bore to write usually, so that critique is quite common. Unless they are very troubled souls like Batman, I can see why a writer would neglect their hero. Its natural.

Nekko

Back to purring
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gericopitch.com
The ongoing problem. I could - and do - follow my guys around putting their interesting lives on paper (or computer screen), but I cannot sort out what needs to be there and what doesn't. I never know where to go next, so I get stuck, over and over and over again.

My advice, for what it's worth, is not to get hung up on 'what needs to be there and what doesn't' right now. Keep writing. After a few days, a week, three...go back. Sometimes you have to work through something and go beyond it to be able to sort out the wheat from the chaff

Now, if I could only figure out what is so sucky about my first 20 pages...

Sam Argent

Rygel XVI
Registered
Reaction score
I think I finally have a handle on writing. When I sit down to write, the words come out, and I don't have to fight as much to stop from being distracted. Editing, not so much. It's still frustrating, and I haven't figured out a way to make myself enjoy it yet. I wish that inside my head, figuring out one automatically made the other clearer.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm procrasti thinking carefully about how many VP characters I can use before I push things too far. I've got two main VP characters and four subsidiary VP characters who are important to the action. (One of those is killed in the first 1,500 words.)

Hmm...I'll have to procras think a bit more.

SpinningWheel

Registered
Reaction score
I am staring at a list of my overused words, ready to go back to the draft and deal with them.

Also, I love different coloured highlighter pens. I also love post-it notes in different sizes. But the highlighter pens are my one true love. How did writers manage without them? Does everyone else use highlighters a lot or is it just me?

NikiK

Registered
Reaction score
I think I've just written myself into a corner. Is this my characters' way of taking revenge on me for all the misery I've put them through?

JustinlDew

Shortest Query Winner.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justinldew.blogspot.com
I'm procrasti thinking carefully about how many VP characters I can use before I push things too far. I've got two main VP characters and four subsidiary VP characters who are important to the action. (One of those is killed in the first 1,500 words.)

Hmm...I'll have to procras think a bit more.

I feel like I should know this, but what is a VP Character?

As for whats on my mind about my writing?

All the new likes on my Facebook page have bolstered me to write more. I know they're mostly authors, but now it feels like I have some sort of fanbase. This is probably just my over inflated ego speaking, but it's working! :D

So now I'm about 12k in on my one time travel thing and roughly 3k on a plot bunny.