The Avengers

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to see a Nightwing movie. He's less angsty than Daredevil and less my-way-the-only-way than Batman. I may also like a Power Girl movie, with... umm... any actress and two bald midgets inside the suit.

Last edited:

Marumae

Queen of Quixotica
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Saw it today! Absolutely loved it! The critics have been saying Ruffalo was the best Hulk yet, I completely agree. This was the first time I actually felt and GOT the like (and fear within the context of the story) for the Bruce Banner/Hulk character. Ruffalo did an amazing job I think making me like the dude while simultaneously being afraid of...well yanno pissing him off. There was this visible tension with him every time he got a little stressed that put me on edge. The Hulk was genuinely terrifying in this movie and the fact that the others treated him like a time bomb made it work. I always felt in the other movies they didn't seem to portray that correctly, "you're an unstoppable green machine when you get pissed off? oh that's nice, pass the salt Bruce."Oh, simply amazing. If they don't screw it up, I'd love another try at a Hulk movie. I NEED to see Ruffalo's Hulk again.

Yeah I heard Norton was notoriously hard to work with, not really sad he's gone. He was better then the Crowe, but Ruffalo made the character for me.

While I will certainly MISS his Johnny Storm (what?! SUE ME I LIKED THE FANTASTIC FOUR MOVIES OKAY), Chris Evans is an amazing actor and amazingly hot oh my god, I can't even stand it. UNF.. I like how Rogers naturally took the leader role among them all.

Don't know anything about Hawkeye or Black Widow but now I want to do research.

Downey Jr was amazing as usual, I can't wait for Iron Man 3.

Hiddleston is an amazing Loki and Hemsworth won me in his film, I like that we got an update on a character from his movie, there was a lot of consistency in this that surprised me. It's like the director *le gasp* actually researched the characters and established cannon movies before writing the screenplay!

I'm also thirding (seconding?) DC getting it's act together for a Justice League movie, damn it DC. You could be awesome but you just have CRAP luck for any other series besides, you know...BATMAN (and maybe Superman). I wish Bale would reprise his role and sorta carry the JL movie but I understand him wanting to get out. I get the impression for Nolan there isn't this build to lead to a JL movie or other movies, it's a self contained trilogy. Ah well, that's another discussion for another thread.

Last edited:

MichelleJean

Registered
Reaction score
Saw it last night and was so bored. I was disappointed that I didn't enjoy it since I love superhero movies (and Samuel L. Jackson!) but this one, not so much.

Amber Nae

Registered
Reaction score
Went and saw it this Sunday. I absolutely loved it! People want to see movies that pull them in and away from every day life. Lots of laughs, Robert Downey Jr. was amazing as always. Him and Ruffalo worked well together, and the Hulk was great also. I didn't care too much for the character of Black Widow, I just felt that she was really kind of useless. I guess they really wanted to increase ratings with a female super hero though.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
I agree - I thought Black Widow's character should have been given something...more.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Well, they said it didn't set the record. Avatar still holds that one :(
Yes, but:

After its $207.4-million debut broke the record for the biggest opening ever — not adjusting for inflation — "The Avengers" had another phenomenal weekend in theaters. In its second weekend of domestic release, the film featuring Marvel comic book characters such as the Hulk, Iron Man and Thor raked in an additional $103.2 million, according to an estimate from distributor Walt Disney Pictures. That means the movie made more on its second weekend than any other film in history, a record previously held by the three-day $75.6 million made by "Avatar."
Dominoes are falling.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I miss Smallville's JLA.
My favorite part of that series. We got to see, or at least have references to, Sandman, Doctor Fate, Starman, Wildcat, the first Green Lantern, and several others -- and see Hawkman in grouchy, mace-wielding action.

I've sometimes imagined a movie set in WW2, with some of the lesser-known Golden Age heroes -- Johnny Quick, Doctor Mid-Nite, Johnny Thunder, Robotman, the Americommando, Mister Terrific, Hourman, etc. Probably a stupid idea; limited appeal.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
Well, they made The Spirit, didn't they? ;)
Wouldn't it be great if Frank Miller were as good as he thinks he is?

The new movie Battleship had a $200 million budget. One fifth of a billion dollars. But (judging from early reviews) a dumbass script. It'll probably have a big opening weekend but then drop off quickly.

A movie like The Avengers has a lot more staying power. Maybe that'll indicate to some of the producers that those script things are actually an important part of the package.

hadou

Registered
Reaction score
The Avengers was a good movie; the script was very well done, making something out of nothing. I am interested in how they will tie Ironman 3 and Thor 2 with The Avengers 2.

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
Well, they made The Spirit, didn't they? ;)

So much potential, wasted because Miller couldn't resist throwing every fricking thing in the Spirit canon at the screen. Jeez, Frank, save something for the sequel, and there might actually be one! As it is, I gotta say I prefer the cheesy TV version.

dclary

Unabashed Mercenary
Poetry Book Collaborator
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.trumpstump2016.com
Wouldn't it be great if Frank Miller were as good as he thinks he is?

The new movie Battleship had a $200 million budget. One fifth of a billion dollars. But (judging from early reviews) a dumbass script. It'll probably have a big opening weekend but then drop off quickly.

A movie like The Avengers has a lot more staying power. Maybe that'll indicate to some of the producers that those script things are actually an important part of the package.

Battleship won't have a big opening weekend. It will be a dead dog from minute one. It looks awful. Every trailer they've released has made it look worse than the one before. Liam Neeson seems to have chosen this role specifically to make The Phantom Menace no longer seem like his worst career decision ever.

My prediction: Battleship is the biggest money loser of the year.

J.S.F.

Red fish, blue fish...
Registered
Reaction score
Saw Battleship and felt like carving my eyes out with a rusty spoon after. (My eight year-old son forced me to take him and even he thought it sucked). Save your money for something worthwhile, like an appendectomy or a root canal with no anesthesia....

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Is it sad that the geek in me is mad about Battleship being made into a movie? It is a game about battleships for goodness.... Why go and make it into a stupid movie? :rant: Grrr!

Another note, I want to see Avengers again :D

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't care too much for the character of Black Widow, I just felt that she was really kind of useless. I guess they really wanted to increase ratings with a female super hero though.

I agree - I thought Black Widow's character should have been given something...more.

She was given more. More screen time than Thor, Bruce Banner or Hawkeye and slightly less than Cap or Iron Man.

No, the Black Widow can't fly, doesn't wear a suit of high-tech armor, doesn't sport a mystical hammer, unbreakable shield, or get big mean and green, but that doesn't mean she has no game.

When we first meet her, Romanoff is tied to a chair, clad in a black cocktail dress, being violently interrogated by a trio of gangsters. Confident that they are in complete control of the situation, the leader of the three foolishly reveals his master plan before the Black Widow reveals her true skill, subduing all three men in an impressive display of acrobatic ass-kicking. Her perceived vulnerability is a weapon that Whedon has her use multiple times throughout the movie.

But her strategy is always predicated on her having the upper hand. The gangsters are human, easily willed by her charms. But during an attack on the heli-carrier in the second act, Romanoff becomes trapped in the lower engine decks with Bruce Banner, who loses control and becomes his unstoppable raging alter-ego, the Hulk. Her attempts to reason with him fail, and soon she is running for her life through the bowels of the ship, chased by the unthinking green mass of rage. The Hulk swats her against the wall like a mere insect before the Norse God of Thunder, Thor, intervenes. When next we see her, the Black Widow is cowering in the corner. The look on her face is that of a woman utterly broken. It takes a few moments before she finally responds to her radio summons.

The scene touches effectively on two themes. The first is the trauma suffered by the Black Widow, a woman so accustomed to being in control who suddenly finds herself dominated by an unstoppable male force (one from which she had to be rescued by another man). Finding a way to assert yourself against someone more physically powerful is a challenge that persists in women's struggle for equality, fictional or otherwise. That challenge, of course, is more easily addressed when you have super powers and can reduce your opponent to ashes, but the Black Widow's helpless encounter with the Hulk more closely reflects that problem as it exists in the real world.
As much as Mark Ruffalo has made the possibility of a new Hulk flick viable, Scarlett Johansson's Black Widow, possibly paired with Hawkeye, may also be deserving of her own movie as well.

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I hope Battleship dies at the box office. I hope it dies so bad the execs who greenlit it lose their jobs. Now that would be entertaining.
:D Sorry, anyway...
Enjoyed the movie very much. I knew it would be fluff with some fun characters, with lots of shit getting blown up in exponentially more outlandish ways all led by really attractive people in silly costumes. And on that level, it was a complete success. As a New Yorker, it was a thrill to see my beloved GCT, the Tim Horton's and pushcart and Starbucks around it, and my old temp agency all get blown to shit by Loki's minions. And they go for shwarmas after! . :ROFL: Speaking of sexy people, I don't see much love for Scarlett or Jeremy's "mortal" shortstop action. (Nighttimer did make good points just as I was editing too, great stuff, sir.) My take: each becomes personally vested in the Avengers' mission in their own way, and outgunned as they may be, they are on the team, throwing punches for every bloody nasty round. And I love Black Widow's intro scene, perv that I am. :D Also, Robert Downey Jr. basically got to do comedy relief to offset Thor and Captain America's very straight arrow routine, but his romance with Pepper is heating up nicely. And Samuel L. Jackson - enough said. His awesome could light up NYC.
My opinion, what do I know?

Last edited:

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
Gah. That review of the Black Widow bugs me. She was not "utterly broken" in that scene. She had a shell-shocked moment after getting her ass handed to her by the Hulk. Then she pulled herself together, answered her radio, and went out to fight.

hadou

Registered
Reaction score
The Black Widow's abilities: a gun savvy and big tits.

Anna L.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annafrost.ca
Gah. That review of the Black Widow bugs me. She was not "utterly broken" in that scene. She had a shell-shocked moment after getting her ass handed to her by the Hulk. Then she pulled herself together, answered her radio, and went out to fight.

Agreed.

Black Widow is mostly a normal person. She can't be expected to stand up to the friggin' Hulk much better than any other normal person. The dude in the war plane got his ass handed to him too. Target angry!

Smiley0501

Registered
Reaction score
Her comic book history is badass, don't get me wrong, but I felt SJ could have played her with more emotion. The scene where she is talking to Loki in the glass chamber fell flat for me...