Preface / Introduction

Rationalist

Registered
Reaction score
Is it alright to weave prefatory matter into the introduction and do away with the preface altogether?

I begin the introduction with the hook (my book is a philosophical enquiry which I intend to self-publish), followed by the central premise underlying my enquiries; the scope; the reason for citing so many sources; how the book came about; an outline of the chapters; the upshot of such an enquiry. This seems to me a better arrangement for my book than having a preface and introduction.

I am not sure if any acknowledgements are in place – I have consulted some geneticists who were kind enough to answer my queries – can’t say if they would really want their names to be associated with my work. And do you thank an editor and others involved in prepress you hire yourself?

Thanks in advance

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's okay to write the book whatever way works best for the book and material covered. For acknowledgements, acknowledge whomever you wish, or no one at all. For attributions, if you got material from someone else you had better attribute it to them or you face all kinds of legal issues. If you just got general information you are not citing directly, then it's your choice.

Jeff