Thinking in a Self-Publishing Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebrillblaiddes

Registered
Reaction score
When I was active on AW before (2007), I would never have said this, but I think I want to self-publish my WIP.

1) I have an independent streak a mile wide; trying to fit into a conventional publisher's lineup is not something that interests me right now. This was different 8 years ago; I was all about trying to be accepted. Therefore, self-publishing feels right in my spirit. This is intangible but not trivial.

2) I got a Kindle between then and now, and so did a bunch of people, either physically or in app form, so the print run investment is no longer an issue. I like books. They have...bookiness. But even if I didn't have a Kindle, I wouldn't be buying many physical books these days, because...

3) The town I moved to in '09 lost its bookstore, which had only been a small one in the mall anyway, in about '11 (there are still a couple small used book shops, and the book sections in Walmart and Sam's). Before, I took the position that, even if you didn't want anything else from a publisher, they were the 800-lb gorilla at getting you in front of browsing readers, but, here at least, they can't do that any more unless you have the sales figures to get picked up by even non-book-stores (which I never expected). And the comparable thing is happening all over, not just here, so, there are so many places where having a major publisher no longer is what it used to be as far as getting readers.

In a nutshell, that's the why...so, I'll be around, trying to figure out the how while the WIP is still IP. So, if you see me delurking from time to time, that's why I'm in here...and if you see my sanity, please grab it and throw it in a pillowcase or something. It sneaks off often.

Osulagh

Independent fluffy puppy.
Registered
Reaction score
Sorry, if your post is suppose to name the reasons for going for self-publishing, it doesn't seem like you completely understand certain aspects of the publishing world.

It seems like you'd be more interested in e-publishing, in whatever sense. Whether that be using electronic distributors or publishers who only/mostly publish electronically.

And this:

I have an independent streak a mile wide; trying to fit into a conventional publisher's lineup is not something that interests me right now. This was different 8 years ago; I was all about trying to be accepted. Therefore, self-publishing feels right in my spirit. This is intangible but not trivial.

What do you mean? I can understand if you have certain stories that publishers don't want, but then smaller publishers like e-publishers have started filling in those gaps. For example, romance novellas weren't very popular because trade publishers didn't get much from them. But when e-published, they flourish.

I don't see why you think you need to conform to publishers. Sure, they do want work that is polished, that'd catch readers' attention, and that mostly abide by genre standards. But many publishers, big and small, are opening up to different ideas. It's starting to become very rare that someone can't shop a good book to a publisher and get it accepted.

It seems like you're thinking publishers want only specific cookie-cut books and your books don't fit, or you think publishers wouldn't accept your books for whatever reason. Why is that?

Everything you've said tells me you might not be in for what self-publishing is about. Compelling reasons to self-publish, that I see, are: Full control of the creative process, from every word inside, to cover, to blurb; knowing that you can market yourself and your work; wanting full control of your publishing schedule; publishing work that trade publishers wouldn't normally touch like novellas. And the list goes on.

To be successful in self-publishing, you need to be able to put out quality content--work that has been edited, with a nice cover--and be able to market you and your book so readers know about you and it. Self-published work is fully reliant on you, whether that be success or failure.

I always have to bring this up: You don't have to choose either/or in any case. You can self-publish and trade/indie publish however you wish. Publishing isn't like choosing one side of the coin; you can choose all options, just with different works.

Treehouseman

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, to echo what Osulagh said!

How do you know your book won't be conventional? If it's all written in rhyme? Wikipedia clip-art? You can find those published mainstream if you look for it so you must be WAAAYY out there ;-)

Anyway the point is that you still have a WIP, so you can't really tell if it's not going to fit until you have 50 people in that genre say say "no".

It's a lot of work. I'm preparing to Self Pub some short stories, and even in this early stage I'm kinda wishing someone would do it all for me!

Fruitbat

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
...1) I have an independent streak a mile wide; trying to fit into a conventional publisher's lineup is not something that interests me right now. This was different 8 years ago; I was all about trying to be accepted. Therefore, self-publishing feels right in my spirit. This is intangible but not trivial...

Well, I guess that sums it up, then. And it really is fun to get to do everything how you want, when you want, and not have to get anyone else's permission.

However, regardless of how many fewer bookstores are around these days, the big publishers (and some of the smaller ones) do sell lots and lots of books. Many writers who self-publish a book end up very disappointed because of low sales. But as long as you know that going in, good luck with it!

Last edited:

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
I was trade published twice and now I'm self-published. It is a lot of work but if you can work independently and are willing to learn, it can be enjoyable. It's not an either-or situation for authors (trade or SP). Some titles will be SP and some I'll send to the agent.

My only thought in reading your post was is this the first book you've finished? If so, I'd say finish the book before you make any decisions. You may decide to go with a small press just to get your feet wet. Although, it can help to stay motivated if one knows they can self-publish. Genre-specific books do best in SP. Mystery, romance, sci-fi, paranormal, etc. (as opposed to literary works)

You can publish in print through Ingram and your book will be available to bookstores or Createspace can get you to B&N in print (and libraries too if you use their ISBN). Lots of info available at each website.

Last edited:

ebrillblaiddes

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback! You've given me some more stuff to let rattle around in my head.

Sorry, if your post is suppose to name the reasons for going for self-publishing, it doesn't seem like you completely understand certain aspects of the publishing world.

It seems like you'd be more interested in e-publishing, in whatever sense. Whether that be using electronic distributors or publishers who only/mostly publish electronically.
You're right that the e-publishing side is what mostly appeals to me right now because of how I and people in my area get things to read these days. But then, so many of the e-presses are almost as much of a startup as I would be as a self-publisher...I've heard of people having to supply their own editor and proofreader, even...so if we're all figuring this out anyway because it's new, I'd rather try to figure it out for myself than hope I picked the right other people to figure it out for me.

I would probably offer a print version too, though...I'm fairly tech-savvy, so generating a PDF with custom page sizes and margins isn't a problem, and I'd be stupid to turn away readers who are set on having a physical object. Also, I would probably want to do the Goodreads giveaway thing, because it seems like one of the marketing activities least likely to cross the line into annoying attention-seeking behavior, and I heard you need physical copies for that.

It seems like you're thinking publishers want only specific cookie-cut books and your books don't fit, or you think publishers wouldn't accept your books for whatever reason. Why is that?
I wouldn't say "cookie cutter" exactly, but the way an editor reads a book is different from how a regular reader reads. All a reader cares about is whether they personally like (or are interestingly challenged by) the book, while editors have to think about what other people's opinions in vast numbers will be. So, to appeal to an editor, you have to fit their ideas of what readers want -- but without being too similar to the other book that they just got signed. It seems crazymaking and I'd just personally rather take my chances with the readers.

Everything you've said tells me you might not be in for what self-publishing is about. Compelling reasons to self-publish, that I see, are: Full control of the creative process, from every word inside, to cover, to blurb; knowing that you can market yourself and your work; wanting full control of your publishing schedule; publishing work that trade publishers wouldn't normally touch like novellas. And the list goes on.

To be successful in self-publishing, you need to be able to put out quality content--work that has been edited, with a nice cover--and be able to market you and your book so readers know about you and it. Self-published work is fully reliant on you, whether that be success or failure.
Well, yes, the control factor is another point in self-pubbing's favor. I've heard enough cover picture nightmare stories to see the value in being the Ultimate Queen Bee of the process, no matter what I outsource...that didn't pop into my head last night, but it's definitely a consideration.

And, yes, I know that, by taking it all into my own hands, that means that I've only got myself to blame, so I'd better do it right (or see that it's done right, on the parts I hire out). I'm lining up people to beta it ruthlessly before I pay for any editing, for example, to make sure I get value for the editing once I get that far.

I always have to bring this up: You don't have to choose either/or in any case. You can self-publish and trade/indie publish however you wish. Publishing isn't like choosing one side of the coin; you can choose all options, just with different works.
If both were to happen eventually, that would be great, but getting a contract with an advance etc. isn't where my head is right now. I could change my mind if circumstances seemed to call for it, but for now I'm leaning toward letting the readers decide directly.

Anyway the point is that you still have a WIP, so you can't really tell if it's not going to fit until you have 50 people in that genre say say "no".
True, but I can decide that having it fit isn't my priority, and spend the time on getting it self-pub ready rather than query letters and rejectomancy.

My only thought in reading your post was is this the first book you've finished? If so, I'd say finish the book before you make any decisions. You may decide to go with a small press just to get your feet wet. Although, it can help to stay motivated if one knows they can self-publish. Genre-specific books do best in SP. Mystery, romance, sci-fi, paranormal, etc. (as opposed to literary works)
I've finished books before, and even shopped one around to agents a little, though not as actively as I would have if I'd been really focusing on it. I figure it's OK for that one to have not gone anywhere because I'm not that person any more and would do a lot differently if I did it over (which I still might; that's the great thing about writing, nothing has to stay broken).

The current WIP is near-future fantasy, either YA or crossover as the plot in my head has some of the characters growing up during the time at hand. I'm sort of hoping for the "teens reading on their phones so their peers will think they're texting" hypothesis to work in my favor (though not sure how I would tell if it does). So, definitely not "literary" in the sense of the genre that thinks it's not a genre; I can still deal with issues of identity and belonging, though, I just need to wrap them in a half-unicorn.

Well, I guess that sums it up, then. And it really is fun to get to do everything how you want, when you want, and not have to get anyone else's permission.
Yeah. That. I don't want to crawl around to gatekeepers and hope one of them is willing to declare me an author, when announcing to the world, "I'm a writer! Here's what I write; see if you like it" is a viable option.

However, regardless of how many fewer bookstores are around these days, the big publishers (and some of the smaller ones) do sell lots and lots of books. Many writers who self-publish a book end up very disappointed because of low sales. But as long as you know that going in, good luck with it!
The way I figure it, I don't need a big burst of sales like you get when conventional publishing goes right, because once I have it set up, I can leave it available indefinitely and let it do kind of a slow burn...so I don't think slow sales will upset me. Of course I would like to sell more rather than less but I think I can cope either way.

lance.schukies

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
http://www.theguardian.com/books/2015/apr/11/traditional-books-new-chapter-success-london-book-fair
"Total spending on print and electronic books increased by 4% to £2.2bn in 2014, according to
market data firm Nielsen. Ebooks now account for around 30% of all books published, including
almost 50% of adult fiction. But the decline in print is levelling off as migration to ebooks declines.
For some in the industry, it is a sign the dust is beginning to settle after the great digital shake-up."

MercyMe

Registered
Reaction score
Sounds great! I felt the same way when I made the leap. I'm glad I did, so best of luck to you! It is fun...

[The current WIP is near-future fantasy, either YA or crossover as the plot in my head has some of the characters growing up during the time at hand. I'm sort of hoping for the "teens reading on their phones so their peers will think they're texting" hypothesis to work in my favor (though not sure how I would tell if it does). So, definitely not "literary" in the sense of the genre that thinks it's not a genre; I can still deal with issues of identity and belonging, though, I just need to wrap them in a half-unicorn.]

I've seen a few authors writing in this genre/market and doing very well. You'll definitely want to have your book in print too because young people (oddly) are still buying print. The cover art will set you back but well worth it because the fan base for YA fantasy is pretty loyal once you capture them.

Good luck!

stormie

storm central
Registered
Reaction score
Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
Website
www.anneskal.wordpress.com
I've gone both routes: two books were published (one as print, one as ebook) by small publishers. The editing helped make the books so much better. Each publisher worked with me for months to get them polished even better than they were when I signed the contracts.

I've self-pubbed an ebook and a short story. I enjoyed designing my own covers, and the formatting wasn't hard. I used Smashwords and Amazon's.

My problem with so many self-published books, though, is that I've read print and ebooks that have errors that stop me in my reading, or the flow of the story just isn't there. There isn't that gate-keeper, so to speak.

Have someone go over it who is versed in grammar, spelling, and who can read your book objectively. Maybe get two or three people.

Just my two cents. :)

ebrillblaiddes

Registered
Reaction score
You'll definitely want to have your book in print too because young people (oddly) are still buying print. The cover art will set you back but well worth it because the fan base for YA fantasy is pretty loyal once you capture them.
I thought I would need a good front cover anyway to get visual attention as people scroll through lists of books, so I'm already talking with an artist friend about what would be involved in that...if she doesn't want to include the spine and back cover, while I'm not an artist I have a working knowledge of GIMP and would be able to at least pick up a background color from the main image, so it looks like it goes together, and add the title and back blurb and that sort of thing.

Definitely going to offer a print version, though, as long as I can make the price reasonable (and I think I'll be able to), because I often say it's always nice to have options and readers probably think so too.

ebrillblaiddes

Registered
Reaction score
My problem with so many self-published books, though, is that I've read print and ebooks that have errors that stop me in my reading, or the flow of the story just isn't there. There isn't that gate-keeper, so to speak.

Have someone go over it who is versed in grammar, spelling, and who can read your book objectively. Maybe get two or three people.
Oh yes, I know what you mean. As a reader, most of my DNFs have been freebies that I assume were self-pubbed (because any editor being involved would have fixed that), and I definitely don't want to be part of that mess! In general, my drafts come out grammatical for the register I'm writing in (though I'm not picky about "rules up with which we should not put"), but then there's always the chance of typos, errors introduced as I try to improve one part of a sentence but don't notice the other thing that needs to be changed to balance it, or just "f%$#ing autocorrect" because I do some of my drafting from the on-screen keyboard. I'm aware that no one can be completely effective at proofreading themselves, so I will definitely get a few people, as persnickity as possible, to look at it for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.