Mama Jude's Pep Talk

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Don't EVER say you wonder if you should write at all or I will have to beat you with a copy of "50 shades" of excessive adverbs!

I picked up a Val McDermid the other day and I was shocked to see six adverbs (count 'em, six) in two paragraphs. What was probably more shocking was that I've read that book before, before I started this whole novel-writing business, and as a reader I neither noticed them nor was bothered by them... :)

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
I get you onesecond, I agree I notice more now than 10 years ago. Even now if the story is good it doesn't bother me unless it's ly. I probably should have said excessive "ly" adverbs. :D Those seem to make my eyes bulge for some reason.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so nervous today! First day back at New Book since November 23rd (I've been in Australia). Ugh. I plan to start by re-reading right from the beginning. Have almost no recollection of what I've done so far. I hope I like it....

:scared:

Wish me luck!

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so nervous today! First day back at New Book since November 23rd (I've been in Australia). Ugh. I plan to start by re-reading right from the beginning. Have almost no recollection of what I've done so far. I hope I like it....

:scared:

Wish me luck!

Good luck, mccardey. Here's hoping you're pleasantly surprised.:Hug2:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Good luck, mccardey. Here's hoping you're pleasantly surprised.:Hug2:

Thank you. In patches I was, in other bits not so much... :( More the totally opposite. Some quiet reflection is very much in order, I think. *sigh* But I don't think I've wasted any time. I think I was just hoping to do a lot more with one of my characters than I actually can. So I'll have to re-structure.

Onwards and upwards, then...

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
*HUGS* to mccardey. Getting back into a manuscript is always so tough, isn't it? Like Jude said, though, you can do it. :) It'll come back to you.

muse

standing on head, typing one-handed...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. In patches I was, in other bits not so much... :( More the totally opposite. Some quiet reflection is very much in order, I think. *sigh* But I don't think I've wasted any time. I think I was just hoping to do a lot more with one of my characters than I actually can. So I'll have to re-structure.

Onwards and upwards, then...

That's the way!

Sounds like it wasn't the disaster you thought it might be.:hooray:

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
This is more a frustrated sigh of a question but seriously, how are you supposed to know if the book is any good? Ask me if a book I bought is good and I can tell you but I have no idea when it comes to my stuff. I am kind of at head-desk stage now with this thing. I know what I want it to be like, I know the theory behind how to do that, but when I write it just doesn't come out that way. I'm thinking of buying a cheap typewriter so I can throw it out my window in a symbolic gesture. Although that'd probably get me into trouble with Glasgow City Council. And any neighbours on the street below.

That is my rant for the day.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
This is more a frustrated sigh of a question but seriously, how are you supposed to know if the book is any good?

You give it to beta readers and let them have a say.

You query and let the agents have a say.

You sit back and stop stressing about whether or not it's good and instead celebrate the fact that you've written something you enjoy.

Now, off to take my own advice. :)

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying a cheap typewriter so I can throw it out my window in a symbolic gesture. Although that'd probably get me into trouble with Glasgow City Council. And any neighbours on the street below.

That is my rant for the day.

That's an excellent rant, and I for one would like to join you in punctuating a window with a typewriter. I'll even bring the typewriter...

I think the answer is just to keep writing - and then do what Jude says. But first, keep on writing.

It seems like that's always the bloody answer... :cry:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

You sit back and stop stressing about whether or not it's good and instead celebrate the fact that you've written something you enjoy.

I am getting this tattooed backward on my forehead so I can read it every day in the mirror.

(Or maybe on a t-shirt would be better?)

HistorySleuth

Researching History's Mysteries
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gahwny.org
A wall poster over your writing area. I say just write and worry about it later. Something may change as you're moving ahead and you'll get one of those AHA! moments. :)

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score

This!

Very good advice, hj.

Although I would enjoy a good defenestration. Gets out a lot of frustration.

onuilmar

(w)ride like the wind
Registered
Reaction score
This is more a frustrated sigh of a question but seriously, how are you supposed to know if the book is any good?

That's about where I am, Zeleka. I cannot "see" my stuff until someone else critiques it. I see this as just becoming versed in the effect my words have. And Jude is right: the beta readers, the lit agents, etc. All that feed back is necessary.

When it comes to non-fiction writing, I am spot on and know what I am doing correctly or incorrectly. But that is from having internalized all the editors that stomped through my stuff with steel toed boots on.

And reading more is not the answer, because I am a literary omnivore who would rather read than just about anything else. It's the learning to "see" my stuff.

Hang in there.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Would love a friendly boot in the backside from somebody. I have pages of fabulous beta feedback, and I am dragging my heels getting it integrated. Yes, it is going to be difficult. Among other things, it's going to mean disrupting my timeline, which was agonizingly painful to get right the first time.

But none of it will happen unless I DO IT.

Overall I am not displeased with this book; but it could be better. It deserves to be better. So I need to quit whining and write.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Liz, are you sure this is good beta advice? Maybe the reason you're dragging is that it's not sitting quite right with you? Maybe you need to talk through it with someone else...

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I sort of know the feeling, but on a smaller scale. Once I got all my feedback on my submission to the competition (which was just the first chapter really) the idea of sorting it all out, after I'd spent so long trying to get the thing to work in the first place, was really daunting. But actually once I started, it seemed a lot less work than I'd originally thought.

If you want another set of eyes or opinions, btw, I'm more than happy to help :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
You guys are both making good points.

HJ, I think the beta feedback is good, for the most part. It's been amazingly consistent, and from a lot of very different people. You did make me think about it and divide it into categories, though. I have:

1) Plot changes. These do not affect the major plot points or the final outcome, but they're otherwise pretty substantive. I'm actually pleased with the ideas here - I think the changes solve a LOT of problems, including how to sell the book as science fiction.
2) Pacing stuff. This is less fun. The early chapters in particular are exposition-heavy, and it slows things down. I think I can make a lot of the explanations less passive, but it's much less cut-and-dried than adding some plot points. So yeah, I'm dreading this part a bit, but I do think it's necessary.
3) Repeated words/phrases. I have a whole list of these. Absolutely necessary to deal with them, but really tedious.
4) Character points. This includes everything from a couple of times people thought my characters dropped out of voice, to dealing with some of the stuff my aunt was complaining about. In some ways, this kind of thing is easiest for me to change - but I do need to make some decisions here. I disagree with my aunt rather strongly in one spot. My husband points out I don't have to make any changes if I disagree with her, and he's right; but I also know I'm not objective.

There's also the prologue. The new one is SO MUCH better - but I've also realized the scene is similar to the first chapter. It's going to take some work to make sure the two scenes are clearly differentiated. (And yeah, I could chew on the prologue a bit more, and think about moving it again - and I dread that MOST OF ALL.)

Zelenka, thank you for the offer. I have actually been considering a beta 2 for this one, once all of these changes are made; but I can't decide yet whether that would just be my way of putting of the inevitable query rejection stage! :) Although I suppose I could have beta readers AND rejections at the same time. :D

I don't know. I'm all scrambled up about this. I need to take it one piece at a time.

wonderactivist

Registered
Reaction score
Website
luciesmoker.wordpress.com
liz, I think you said it right when you said just one piece at a time. Maybe start with th parts you completely agree with. Who knows, maybe some of the iffy stuff will work out as you revise the first part. Wishing you confidence. It's your book and nobody knows it as well as you. Lucir

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, if you're getting consistent beta advice, that's a sign.

:ban

Oops, wrong sign! :D

Anyway, it sounds like you're on the right track. Keep plugging away. :Hug2:

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I had an epiphany this morning.

What's been making me crazy is how fuzzy it all is. I've been reading from the beginning, and I can see places where my plot changes might be integrated; but how do I know I need them there? What if I miss some things, and I don't realize it until I'm at the end? Then I'll have to backtrack and do it all over again.

So - I'm going to do it backwards.

I've got the last few chapters of my MS in my bag today - don't know if I'll get time to look at it here at work, but I might catch a few minutes here and there. I figure I can make edits, and then make notes on what has to have happened in previous chapters. Then when I get to those chapters, I can make those changes, and so on until I get to the beginning.

May sound crazy, but it actually makes more sense to me this way - I know where I want it to end up, so I need to start there.

Thank you, everyone. You guys helped me think it through.