Mama Jude's Pep Talk

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I love dialogue. The words just flow right out. Where I get stuck is the bits where characters are alone. I get paranoid about them thinking to themselves too much and go too far the other way, ending up with bare action and nothing else.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
See, I always fear I'm using too much dialogue. I have these huge chunks that can be just talking. Well, not chunks because I mostly do dialogue tags and such but still. My possible over use of it worries me.
I'll go back and edit any just-dialogue later. This usually includes pruning out the unnecessaries and adding in more descriptors, sense of place, character thoughts, etc., as needed, but sometimes scenes just need lots of dialogue and trying to break it up can feel artificial.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
I read something Mark Billingham said the other day that resonated with me. It doesn't really relate to any one of the conversations here, but this feels like the place to put it. He was talking about the creation of his detective character, Tom Thorne:

[You] worry that you will be entering that world of the strange cliché-ed cop, but you soon realise that you have to get comfortable in that world. You think "Hang on, some of the clichés are part of that territory". It would like writing a Western and going "Oh no I've given him a horse! What a terrible cliché!" It's not a cliché – It's part and parcel of the genre – cowboys have six-guns, horses and stetsons and detectives have [a] past... problems [and] flaws, because if they don't, then there is nothing to read about.

I completely agree with this. The trappings of our genre(s) are why readers want to read those things. If you didn't want to read a HEA, you wouldn't pick up a Harlequin romance. Likewise, if you didn't want to read about detectives solving crimes, you wouldn't get a crime novel.

Any time you feel like what you're writing isn't original, isn't all wow and new, remind yourself that there will be someone out there for whom your book is their idea of heaven.

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
You know, that's so obvious and yet so insightful. Being original, different, is something I worry about a lot and this helps me realize I can chill a little and be fine with including (although maybe tweaking) a cliche or two.

Thanks for sharing that.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
Is anyone else having trouble with WordPress? It's giving me fits. :( That's why I haven't posted anything recently.

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
I completely agree with this. The trappings of our genre(s) are why readers want to read those things. If you didn't want to read a HEA, you wouldn't pick up a Harlequin romance. Likewise, if you didn't want to read about detectives solving crimes, you wouldn't get a crime novel.
I agree with that quote as well. I try not to worry about what's cliche as I write. If it strikes me in an edit, I'll consider cutting it, but some things just belong because they do. If you try to avoid everything "they" say not to do, you're never going to write anything.

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
I read something Mark Billingham said the other day that resonated with me. It doesn't really relate to any one of the conversations here, but this feels like the place to put it. He was talking about the creation of his detective character, Tom Thorne:

Any time you feel like what you're writing isn't original, isn't all wow and new, remind yourself that there will be someone out there for whom your book is their idea of heaven.

I used this in my writing class the other night. Not the quote itself, but the idea. Very well received.

Zelenka

Going home!
Registered
Reaction score
I have a mini-crisis. Actually not really a crisis at all, just a small worry.

I'm at 19,000 odd words and that's just basically the opening of the book. Now, the book has kind of changed so that the focus isn't the same events as before, so those events coming later in the book I suppose doesn't matter so much now, and I can edit it right down once the draft's done, right? Right?

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So...the full got rejected. In a very nice, polite way, but still.

Would appreciate some tips on how not to waste too much time crying into my beer, because I have work I want to get done in spite of this.

I am remembering that a year ago I was afraid to show it to ANYBODY, and here I sent it out to a total stranger. So...yay for perseverance, I guess? Blah.

kkbe

Huh.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kkelliewriteme.wordpress.com
Absolutely yay, liz! Such is the journey, fraught with peril. . .

Aw, screw that. Minor setback and you're already a lot farther than you were, a lot farther than most. Keep plugging, keep working it, thinking about you, no blah in trying and no blah in taking one on the chin. Hell, it's a good character-builder, plus you get to look all bad-ass and shit. :)

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
Would appreciate some tips on how not to waste too much time crying into my beer, because I have work I want to get done in spite of this.
Remember that it's one, subjective opinion, and there are a lot more agents out there whom you've not yet queried. Getting this full request was fabulous recognition that you've got something well-written and worth reading.

Now go reread all of the comments on your piece from the Pep Blog.

Done that? Now send out another query.

And now go write some more!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Aw, screw that. Minor setback and you're already a lot farther than you were, a lot farther than most. Keep plugging, keep working it, thinking about you, no blah in trying and no blah in taking one on the chin. Hell, it's a good character-builder, plus you get to look all bad-ass and shit. :)

Do I really? <checks mirror> Hm...

Screw the beer. You don't even like beer. You need chocolate! ;)

I like beer just fine. It's just I can consume more chocolate without falling down. :)

And now go write some more!

I'm getting more done than I thought I would, which I guess is a sign I might recover.

Thanks, folks - it's greatly appreciated. I know I need to be a big girl, and I'm lucky I got this far. I didn't really expect a different result...but, well, you know. Sigh.

Silver-Midnight

Registered
Reaction score
rising from the depths of a cup of coffee
So...the full got rejected. In a very nice, polite way, but still.

I am remembering that a year ago I was afraid to show it to ANYBODY, and here I sent it out to a total stranger. So...yay for perseverance, I guess? Blah.

Well, first off :Hug2: . I'm sorry that you're full got rejected, Liz. However, that's just one, or at least a few. What I'm trying to say is that it's not a rejection from every single agent in the known universe. Okay, that's an exaggeration but you know what I mean. You can still keep trying and you should still keep trying. Just because one said doesn't mean they all will. But that's basically what everyone else said.

Second, think of the positives and the progress you have made: 1. You started a story, 2. You finished it, 3. You polished it and stuck with it, 4. You sent it off. That's pretty awesome. I don't care what anyone says. :D

So, the best advice I would say is...eat some chocolate, maybe drink some nice tea, and then try again.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Second, think of the positives and the progress you have made: 1. You started a story, 2. You finished it, 3. You polished it and stuck with it, 4. You sent it off. That's pretty awesome. I don't care what anyone says. :D

Aw, thanks, Silver. That really helps. :)

So, the best advice I would say is...eat some chocolate, maybe drink some nice tea, and then try again.

Going to second this. Or, replace chocolate and tea with some strenuous exercise, to work of any frustration.

Either way, try again for sure. :)

Thanks, Mark - I'm going for all of the above. :) Got some exercise, which helped, and I'm planning an evening of family and comfort food.

And I'm sending out another query today. Nothing ventured and all that.

Thanks, you guys. I love this place. I would never have come this far without you. :e2grouphu

heyjude

Making my own sunshine
Registered
Reaction score
:Hug2: Liz. :) The others have said it much better than I could. Stay the course!

Sorry I'm not around much right now, folks. If you follow the Crime and Chocolate thread you know why. Hopefully things will calm down soon.

Ken Hoss

Storm Rising A Kelli Storm Novel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kenhoss.blogspot.com
Liz, in the immortal words of Commander Peter Quincy Taggert, "Never give up, never surrender!"

Of course, if you're not a Galaxy Quest fan, there's always the old standby, "That which does not kill us makes us stronger." - Nietzsche