Rejectomancy

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the info, Aggy.

At least you didn't wait six years to hear back from her. (http://www.jasonsanford.com/jason/2010/05/six-years-rejection.html)

True.

Someone did point out that some editors take a "no response = no" stance. But the original call, the follow-up email said nothing along those lines so I was expecting to hear something. Even a brief form that said "Sorry, this isn't what I'm looking for."

No response at all is just.... meh.

To get the thread back on track: I'm all crickets today. Probably will be until next week when I'm (tentatively) expecting responses from TNY and IGMS.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Rejection from Clarkesworld, as expected. In fact, I sent this story there pretty much knowing that it would get an R. I really like this one, so I figured that I would ease into the submission process by sending it somewhere I knew it wouldn't get in so as to not get my hopes up. I think it might be a good match for Shimmer, so I sent it there next (another place which will probably reject it, but you never know).

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Form R for my 1st W1S1 story from F&SF. Also got an R on another story from Analog. My first double R day. Yay! (I guess).

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
(((((hugs))))) to those with Rs.

Pemako: I've had a couple double R days. The important thing is to turn around and make them double submission days too. ;)

Still crickets here. Response from The New Yorker and Intergalactic Medicine Show are due any DAY. I'm not worried about it at all. >_<

Pemako

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Aggy.

Seeing you've submitted to Intergalactic Medicine Show - I have the impression it's a market for lighter/younger pieces. Is that true? Are darker stories at all appropriate? - Thanks.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
Seeing you've submitted to Intergalactic Medicine Show - I have the impression it's a market for lighter/younger pieces. Is that true? Are darker stories at all appropriate? - Thanks.
I recommend you check out their anthology. (I got my copy from the library). Definitely not "younger / lighter." Then again, these aren't sexy, explicitly violent stories either. Basically, my impression is it's an adult magazine that tries to stay open to intelligent young readers.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I recommend you check out their anthology. (I got my copy from the library). Definitely not "younger / lighter." Then again, these aren't sexy, explicitly violent stories either. Basically, my impression is it's an adult magazine that tries to stay open to intelligent young readers.

What's their anthology called? I might have to check that out, too (preferably at the library).

Got my latest and greatest R from Untied Shoelaces. I didn't want comments on it since I feel the piece is solid, all it needs is to find its home. But they did add: "Please submit more fiction." Is this something new they added to the form R? Because I don't recall from my other rejections from them.

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
What's their anthology called? I might have to check that out, too (preferably at the library).
Orson Scott Card's InterGalactic Medicine Show Vol 1. (I was surprised to learn how many early authors were also attendants of Card's writers' workshop. I suppose it also explains why a story like Reporter to the Stars ever got published).

Last edited:

mhaynes

practical experience, FTW
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.michaelhaynes.info
Received an "almost" R today from one of my favorite pro markets. Off to re-sub.

One of these mornings I'm going to wake up to a very happy email...

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Aggy.

My understanding is they accept a wide range of stories but limit the content to "pg-13". One of the stories from last month did have swearing in it, but I imagine they limit that as well.

When it comes to things like "darker stories" I usually figure the editor can sort out whether or not it's a fit for their publication as long as it's not clearly violating their "content" limits. (FREX: a story about a serial killer might be appropriate, but not if it has detailed scenes of violence/mutilation.)

IGMS says they won't accept anything with content that exceeds content that you would see in a PG-13 movie. There are horror films that are PG-13, also action adventure, romances, etc. So, yeah. For whatever that's worth. :)

Tienci

Lost in the Land of Giants
Registered
Reaction score
Finally--149-day R from TNY for what I think is currently my best story. Now it's off to The Atlantic--another long shot *sigh*. What a sucker for punishment!
At least Atlantic sends Rs faster. :eek:

Marzioli

Could be worse!
Registered
Reaction score
22-day Apex R. Didn't care for this story when I was writing it, but since then it's become one of my favorites. Still have a lot of venues to try.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
At least you didn't wait six years to hear back from her. (http://www.jasonsanford.com/jason/2010/05/six-years-rejection.html)

Whoa, that beats my five years, but then I withdrew the piece at that mark -- I suppose I could have waited it out longer (forever, I expect.) OTOH, mine was also a solicited sub, which I think buys me some legitimate suffering-points.

Someone did point out that some editors take a "no response = no" stance.

Yep. I won't sub to no response markets.

Perchance our twitching is in synch (I'm 120+), I want to query - but don't. Sigh.

I hear ya. [twitch twitch twitch.]

Still three things out, all past avg RT, hold the current max pending time on one.

Last edited:

GreenRoom

brain in a vat
VPXVI
Registered
Reaction score
22-day Apex R. Didn't care for this story when I was writing it, but since then it's become one of my favorites. Still have a lot of venues to try.

I have a story out at Apex. It's only been there 7 or so days, but since Apex announced today that 5,000 words will be their new upper limit after the current issue (seems the editor prefers shorter stories), and as my sub is 6,300, I'm not holding out much hope.

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
I have a story out at Apex. It's only been there 7 or so days, but since Apex announced today that 5,000 words will be their new upper limit after the current issue (seems the editor prefers shorter stories), and as my sub is 6,300, I'm not holding out much hope.

Yeah, what's the deal with that? Mine's been there for 8 days now, I subbed through HeyPublisher, and it's 5,500 words. Are they still gonna look at it?

pangalactic

Gargling blasters
Registered
Reaction score
Website
chrisbissette.com
I've had a wave of R's this week. Don't really want to list them all; needless to say, my strongest story (IMO) is still getting bounced, and is running out of places to visit.

Sai

Book lover/Spy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kuri-ousity.com
Form rejection from Asimov's. I know I shouldn't be surprised with it being a top makret at all, but I'm still a little bit bummed. Sent it back out to Lightspeed.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think my crickets might've discovered immortality.

18 submissions out. 10 responses are overdue or at least above average Duotrope response times. A couple of them by a big margin.

Sigh.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Still crickets for me. Watching the RSS feed and getting twitchy about TNY piece (at 141 days) and the IGMS piece (at 27 days).

Aaaannnnyyy day now.

Aggy, twitchy