I have no credentials, can I be a freelancer?

DavidTShank

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidtshank.com
I make about $200 a week at my job (sometimes less) and have been thinking about getting into freelance writing. Especially in lieu of starting up a second job soon, which I plain don't want to do.

My passion is writing. It's what I plan to do with my life, one way or another. But it's not like I'm a super crazy awesome writer; I'm just a good writer. Also, I have no specialties.

I play video games, read books, and write sci-fi/fantasy. I'm a lifeguard, and for a brief time I was an EMT. Also, I worked with a friend at his hot dog cart. That one produced some great stories, but no real skills.

I have experience with long relationships, bad breakups, depression, raising pets, etc. Pretty much anything most everyone else has already done, but not with any special skill.

I'm twenty-five, but that's not to say that I have a degree or even a lot of college experience (unless you count living in a college town enjoying its bar and party scene for six years). So I don't have an English degree or anything of the sort, and I only recently qualified to be a college sophomore. That's a long story I won't get into.

So without a degree, I can't prove myself unless I have writings to share with someone. I do run a blog (kinda) and I write for a video game fansite, so I could use those as references, but I'd rather have other things to show. Like articles. Or a degree.

I recently signed up on eLance, and it seems fine to start freelancing on, but I'm overwhelmed with how many people want proven experience. I guess I need to start from smaller projects and work my way up, but I don't even know what that would entail.

I guess my dilemma is that I feel like I have the skills to write, but I lack the experience to speak on specific subjects and the paperwork to prove my abilities. Has anyone else had this issue? And if so, how did you figure it out and move on to bigger things?

Thanks much.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Every freelance writer started out without having written anything.

If you are doing it for the money, realize that its not going to pay as much as you think. It will also require a lot of work. Once you do get your first real assignment, everything else will be easier!

My experience starting out: any on-line writing mill is garbage (elance included). Yes, you might make a little money from them, but it will not be worth your time (your mileage may vary). You will be better off searching the freelance market and finding somewhere you fit. For example, is there a local paper in your town that needs articles about the bar scene? Are there magazines in town that might want an interview and story about a local bar? Have you tried entering your short stories in competitions or other magazines?

Yes, start small, but put in the hard work, and you can get started and going.

DavidTShank

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidtshank.com
I like all those words you just said, Jeffo. I probably should find something I could write for specifically. Unfortunately, as far as the bar scene idea goes, I've moved away from that town and I don't go to the bars here as much as I did in my old town.

I think all my short stories have been posted online somewhere at some point, so I'd have to come up with some new stuff if I want to sell those. I'll have to poke around for some ideas, or just finish my novel and edit that before editing it again, and again, and then maybe I'll sell it.

Another idea would be coauthoring some political articles with my girlfriend. She's much more politically involved and informed than I am, and I regret that I never thought to get active in politics before, because it would have helped me a bit, in more areas than just writing.

Thanks for the support :)

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
I competely get where you are -- I often tell myself, "Self, you're not the world's leading expert on _____, so what makes you think you're qualified to write about it?"

The answer is nearly always, "Because I can write, while the world's leading expert is too damn busy being the world's leading expert to write anything!"

Also note -- political writing is especially difficult to earn money at, because there's SO many people willing to give away their opinions for free in the political realm! :)

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Everyone has areas of special expertise they can leverage. I would suggest identifying what those are, the markets that publish in that area and pitching until you get a toe hold. Once you have a few examples of your work published, it will get easier.

DavidTShank

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.davidtshank.com
I competely get where you are -- I often tell myself, "Self, you're not the world's leading expert on _____, so what makes you think you're qualified to write about it?"

The answer is nearly always, "Because I can write, while the world's leading expert is too damn busy being the world's leading expert to write anything!"

Also note -- political writing is especially difficult to earn money at, because there's SO many people willing to give away their opinions for free in the political realm! :)

I guess that's the irony of it. The experts don't write, but the writers aren't experts. And I see what you mean about politics... Oof. Time for Plan C? D? I've lost count.

Everyone has areas of special expertise they can leverage. I would suggest identifying what those are, the markets that publish in that area and pitching until you get a toe hold. Once you have a few examples of your work published, it will get easier.

This is true. I have a little more than cursory knowledge in several subjects - music, computers, etc. - but I should focus on the things I'm best at. Hey, anyone want to read about how to become a Connect Four pro?

But seriously, the other issue is that the subjects I'm well versed in are either oversaturated as is (video games, for instance), or else they'd be targeted to too small of a niche audience, like lifeguards.

And I can't get paid to write about writing. I write about writing already just to get myself more hyped about writing. It's good catharsis, but not something people are really looking for.

jeffo

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ober.org
Hey, lifeguards read too! (I was a beach lifeguard in Florida for a few years). No, seriously, take that into parks and recreation. There are magazines related to parks and recreation. You can write for them!

As for Connect Four, well, someone has to write about games... maybe you can write an article about games that are good for kids to play while going on a camping trip, or riding in a car or plane?

gingerwoman

Registered
Reaction score
There are plenty of magazines, websites etc.... who will be happy to pay you nothing for a few pieces so you can get some clips. I believe my sister started that way and she's extremely successful as a freelance writer.

I didn't start that way myself though I only submitted to places willing to pay me something. I did have a masters degree in English , but frankly I doubt that impressed anyone. I'm pretty sure they just paid me twenty five dollars US because I wrote something they wanted to publish.

If only degrees were half as impressive to employers as people who don't have them imagine they are. lol

Last edited:

Debbie V

Mentoring Myself and Others
Registered
Reaction score
There are also publications that pay for writing about writing. I've been paid for a poem in Writer's Journal and an article in the SCBWI Bulletin. The Christian Communicator pays too. Of course, payment varies by publication.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
You're near Cleveland. Should be all sorts of opportunities on the North Coast. State parks. City parks.

There are all sorts of Ohio political action groups that need copy written. Some of it might not pay well, but at this stage, clips are clips.

What about the Cleveland Scene?

This might be one of those times that a blog will help you find a voice. Find something that interests you, and start writing about it.

Don't forget Youngstown and Pittsburgh markets, too.

Good luck.

tylersmama

Registered
Reaction score
I have absolutely no qualifications - nada. I left school at 15, and I am a freelance writer and that is how I earn my living. So don't ever feel that you can't do something because you don't have credentials. Every writer has to start somewhere, whether that somewhere is writing for free for a free paper/magazine, just to get your name out there and a portfolio together.

I agree on identifying those "special areas" you know more about than the average person, because there will be something! I also (even now) regularly allow self-doubt to creep in and say "oh, by the way, I think the person paying you to write about this subject is an idiot because you are so not an expert, you hack", but Jeffo is right! The expert is too busy sunning himself in Fiji to sit and write an article on how he got to be an expert in "whateveritis".

Go for it and good luck!

tylersmama

Registered
Reaction score
I have absolutely no qualifications - nada. I left school at 15, and I am a freelance writer and that is how I earn my living. So don't ever feel that you can't do something because you don't have credentials. Every writer has to start somewhere, whether that somewhere is writing for free for a free paper/magazine, just to get your name out there and a portfolio together.

I agree on identifying those "special areas" you know more about than the average person, because there will be something! I also (even now) regularly allow self-doubt to creep in and say "oh, by the way, I think the person paying you to write about this subject is an idiot because you are so not an expert, you hack", but Jeffo is right! The expert is too busy sunning himself in Fiji to sit and write an article on how he got to be an expert in "whateveritis".

Go for it and good luck!

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
Yes definitely but it depends on where you go to look for a job, some places may require somewhat of certifications but others may not care so it just depends.