Suggestions for what to do with an article I wrote

kaitie

With great power comes
Registered
Reaction score
I mentioned this in a thread in PC&E, but my husband has suggested for awhile now that I write up an article on some of the issues we discuss, and I did today because I was feeling particularly grwar about a topic. Thing is, I have no idea what I could do with it.

I'd like to send it to a newspaper or website, but I've never done anything freelance, and the closest I've come is a letter to the editor when I was in college. I'd like to actually submit this somewhere, but I'm not sure what the process is.

I know this is probably one of those really annoying, newbish questions, but it's just so different from the writing I normally do that I don't even know where to begin. Can I just write to an editor of a paper or website with a cover letter?

Wilde_at_heart

υπείκωphobe
Registered
Reaction score
Short answer, Yes.

Longer answer, Depends on how long the piece is, what it's about and who you want your audience to be.

Now, that was helpful, wasn't it? :D

If what you wrote is a few paragraphs to a page or so, submit to the 'letters to the Editor' section - most online newspapers have clear guidelines and it's quite easy to get them published (at least going by people I've known who've written them. The ability to construct coherent sentences gets you halfway there.The drawback is, you don't get paid.)

If it's essay-length and you want a larger or more specific platform, then query either the sort of publications you like to read or the ones that already have a similar ideological slant - go for the prestige ones first and then work your way down.

dantefrizzoli

Banned
Spammer
Reaction score
You could find a newspaper or magazine that may be willing to print it, just try to get in contact with them, they normally look for similar stories