Writing About Animals/Nature Contest (results posted!)

alleycat

Still around
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone hears from sleekitbeastie, let me know. I've tried to contact her by PM to arrange to send her the prize she won but haven't heard back from her.

Ugawa

It's a catastrophic success!
Registered
Reaction score
Congratz to the winners :D. That poem was really great and disserved to win.
x

rhymegirl

It's a New Year!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
First of all, congratulations to the three winners!

My number one choice was Velvet Danger. I liked the word choices, imagery, descriptions and the build-up of tension as the narrator advanced through the woods. The author made me feel as if I were there and that is great. The story had both a feel for nature (the nature theme) AND animals. Also, when writers have to work within a certain word count, it's hard to write a piece that can tell the story and resolve it successfully without going over the limit. This one did. Well done.

When I considered entering this contest, I wondered how to approach it since I am not a pet owner. So I decided that since nature was included as a theme/subject, I'd enter my "moon" rhyming children's story. I actually wrote it years ago when my children were little but was never able to get it published. I did some tweaking for the contest. And now, thanks to coming in tied for fourth, I'm considering sending it out again.

And originally for this contest, I wrote a funny animal story called "They Made A Flying Monkey Out of Me", told by one of The Wizard of Oz's flying monkeys. But humor is tough to write, and after I finished the story and re-read it, I wasn't sure if it was all that funny so I scrapped it. Instead I submitted my re-telling of The Little Red Hen.

MaybeThisTime

Perpetual noob
Registered
Reaction score
Instead I submitted my re-telling of The Little Red Hen.

As a reader who didn't submit a story but did vote, I say a big congratulations to all the entrants, those stories were, as a group, terrific!

I placed The Little Red Hen first, rhymegirl, because it made me laugh out loud, and it also made me want to read more of the author's work, which I bet is plenty clever and full of action :)

And I just loved The Stroke of Midnight, a great story.

Such a talented bunch of writers! I'm impressed!

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Rhymegirl. I'm glad you liked "Velvet Danger" and I appreciate the compliments. As you could tell, I really like being outdoors. Puma

mayamolly

I haz a pomegranate
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again to everyone. I'd appreciate some critique on a new draft of A Stroke of Midnight, which I posted under SYW literary fiction... dumb of me, because I should have posted it under Animals and Nature! Thanks so much.