The cat in the neighborhood's park may die

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Cats get a slew of infectious diseases that make their eyes run and swell shut. Calici virus and feline viral rhinotracheitis are a couple such. They are viral illnesses that are like very bad colds, and can lead to pneumonia and other complications.

Cats also get abscesses pretty easily, often as a result of wounds they got fighting with other cats.

Many cats recover from these, though veterinary care makes it more likely. Sadly, stray/feral cats tend to live short lives (usually only a couple of years). It's a dangerous world for such small critters :(

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
I went to the park again and no cat was there, neither the injured, nor the healthy one. I emptied the remaining cat food on some other cat. But this cat sniffed it then looked up at me, as if it wanted something else. Like i was some chef who's making food for her. It then turned its head before eating the pet food.

Reminded me of the saying,
you pat a dog, give it food, water, take it for walks, give it place to stay. it thinks you are a god to take care of it.
you pat a cat, give it food, water, take it for walks, give it place to stay. it thinks it is god for you to take care of it.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, how dare anyone have preferences or think something doesn't smell good to them...

Don't try to take a cat for a walk.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Generally people in Australia are pretty negative about keeping cats (our little native critters get really short shrift from cats) unless it's a properly-cared-for and thoroughly unexciting Indoors Cat.

I had a neighbour once who had a fairly neglected outdoors cat that kept leaving dead or dying lizards and birds on our front verandah. I finally mentioned it to the neighbour and she eyerolled and launched into a whole "My cat would never do that! She's kept indoors ALL THE TIME!" thing - and the cat wandered around the side of the house with a tiny twitching wren in its mouth and put it on the ground between us.

To share, presumably.

Now that was a awkward cat!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My cat walks really well on his harness! He loves it.

There's a Maine Coon in my neighbourhood loves walks on a harness. He gets a lot of stares, and, I've heard, confusion at the vet's office when they go to put him in his crate and find a harness with his name and think someone screwed up.

You, and that cat's person, though, clearly have cats, know cats, etc. It's such a rare cat enjoys it I still think 'don't try to walk a cat' is a good general rule. ;)

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
My Maine Coon loves his cat carrier. It's his safe spot. When he's scared he runs into it.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Update: I went to the park today and while I was patting the healthy cat, a kid walked to me and sat next to the cat on the bench. He told that a similar cat was found dead a few days ago outside the park and the dead cat had a wound on its leg.

So I guess there were two cats. The healthy one and the injured one that passed away.

chompers

Registered
Reaction score
Update: I went to the park today and while I was patting the healthy cat, a kid walked to me and sat next to the cat on the bench. He told that a similar cat was found dead a few days ago outside the park and the dead cat had a wound on its leg.

So I guess there were two cats. The healthy one and the injured one that passed away.
:(

Thanks for putting so much effort in taking care of these strays.

jaus tail

Banned
Reaction score
Actually it's only because I don't have much else to do. My new work starts from tomorrow which won't allow me the liberty to spend time with stray cats. I'd go only on weekends.

It's all so relative. I read a news article about a woman who spent lots of money for the operation of a gold fish to remove the tumor. I spent money to buy pet food(mashed fish) for the cat but then the fish died because of me.

On another note...in the park I saw some kids who were feeding salty biscuits to the cat and the cat was eating it. I told them to give it fish but they said that this is a nice cat as it eats whatever they give it...is it ok to give cats biscuits or will it have a similar effect like giving it milk? The cat may eat it but in the long run it's not good for them?