A GAME OF THRONES (HBO) -- POSSIBLE SPOILERS

thothguard51

A Gentleman of a refined age...
Registered
Reaction score
A GAME OF THRONES (HBO) -- Companion Book comes out in Oct.

Edited to add, Season 5 starts at page 74, thread 1826, Companion Book goes on sale in October, link page 74, thread 1847

With season 2 of GRRM's A Game of Thrones to premiere on Sunday, April 1st on HBO, what are our thoughts...

Here is a link where Kit Harington, (Jon Snow), talks about season two and Ygritte.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...-season-2-kit-harington_n_1390807.html?ref=tv

From the interview...

We know that this season there's going to be a fight for the throne. The tagline is "War is Coming," so it's obviously looming over everyone at the moment. If Jon were fighting for the throne, who do you think is his biggest threat?

Jon's biggest threat for the throne, not that Jon wants it right now -- but obviously, I want to sit on the throne -- would have to be those dragons. Once those are grown, it's going to be pretty hard to take that girl down. I think she has a good shot. I also think Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) would be the best king. It's the people who want it for the right things, hopefully. Tyrion doesn't want that throne, and there's an old saying that goes, "Those who are best suited for power are the ones who don't want it." Daenerys wants it for the right things, and she wants to liberate people. So I think I would put Daenerys on the throne and give Tyrion's hand to the Queen.

The bolded part I have wondered about this myself. I wonder if he knows something we don't know...

Anyway, on with the new season...

Last edited:

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I also want to add a link from an interview of GRRM in which he is talking about book 6, which he has about 200 pages completed and expects to finish in about 2 or 3 years. 2 or 3 years...bangs head on desk...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/29/george-rr-martin-winds-of-winter_n_1388144.html?ref=books

The reason I added the link is because of this statement...

According to an interview Martin gave last year with Entertainment Weekly, he has already told the ending of the series to the producers of the TV show "in case I get hit by a truck."

Again, I bolded what I think is interesting. Does this mean the TV series is going to last to the end? And we now know that someone other than Martin knows how this all ends.

yellowhammer

Registered
Reaction score
I hope he finishes the series soon. Surely the HBO series wouldn't conclude before all the books came out, right? But, yea, season two. What to say about that? I am PUMPED!

Chasing the Horizon

Blowing in the Wind
Registered
Reaction score
I'm excited too. Just about the only show left I really care about.

But 2-3 years to finish one book?! Hmph. I guess when you're as popular as GRRM you can afford to be slow. *mumble grumble*

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
If you have HBO on cable, you can go to HBO GO and click on series. Besides having the whole first season, you can also pull up a bunch of interesting stuff about season two...

mayqueen

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
My friends and I are having a viewing party. I'm ridiculously excited. I'd like to see the series last out! I'm just wondering what will happen if/when the show outpaces GRRM's writing. (Although I bet you could make three seasons out of A Feast for Crows / A Dance With Dragons). Neither person I will watch it with has read the books, so I'm going to have to bite my tongue extra hard.

kasper

Registered
Reaction score
Even though Sean Bean will probably not be coming back, I'm excited to watch season 2. I'm interested to see what happens to Arya after what happened to her family. Also I can't wait to see Daenerys fight for the throne with her new children. And Tyrion... I can't wait to fall in love with him all over again. Oh my gosh I can't wait.

meowzbark

Registered
Reaction score
With season 2 of GRRM's A Game of Thrones to premiere on Sunday, April 1st on HBO, what are our thoughts...

Here is a link where Kit Harington, (Jon Snow), talks about season two and Ygritte.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/...-season-2-kit-harington_n_1390807.html?ref=tv

From the interview...

We know that this season there's going to be a fight for the throne. The tagline is "War is Coming," so it's obviously looming over everyone at the moment. If Jon were fighting for the throne, who do you think is his biggest threat?

Jon's biggest threat for the throne, not that Jon wants it right now -- but obviously, I want to sit on the throne -- would have to be those dragons. Once those are grown, it's going to be pretty hard to take that girl down. I think she has a good shot. I also think Tyrion (Peter Dinklage) would be the best king. It's the people who want it for the right things, hopefully. Tyrion doesn't want that throne, and there's an old saying that goes, "Those who are best suited for power are the ones who don't want it." Daenerys wants it for the right things, and she wants to liberate people. So I think I would put Daenerys on the throne and give Tyrion's hand to the Queen.

The bolded part I have wondered about this myself. I wonder if he knows something we don't know...

Anyway, on with the new season...

Although I kind of theorized on this same pairing while reading the books between Daenerys and Tyrion, I'd think Ayra (though too young) is a much better intellectual match for him.

<3 Tyrion

Nimram

sometimes woefully inaccurate
Registered
Reaction score
Considering Martin's talent for killing the "perfect knight" (see ep. 9 of the first season) I would say Jon has to change if he wants to survive.:D

DreamWeaver

Shakespearean Fool
Registered
Reaction score
Just re-subscribed to HBO for the duration :D.

Parametric

Registered
Reaction score
I don't see Dany going for Tyrion. She's still a little shallow when it comes to potential partners, and there are plenty of hot guys fighting over her. Which is a shame, because Tyrion is awesome and Dany is awesome.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
I googled Game of Throne images and found one with Dani sitting on the Iron Throne. Interesting. Was it publicity shot to keep interest up or, a hint...? Might have to change my Avatar to that for a while...

As to Sean Bean coming back, I don't see it happening. Even if they do flash backs to when Ned was with his sister when she was dieing, they aren't going to be able to make Sean look what, 15/20 years younger.

Oh well, 1 more day and a few hours and we will start to know what is behind the Wall. I can't wait to see Jon and Ygrettes relationship advance. "You know nothing..."

To those who have not read the books, get ready for some new and interesting characters...

DavidZahir

Malkavian Primogen
Registered
Reaction score
Website
undeadwhispers.yuku.com
Tomorrow. TOMORROW!!!!

Saw the little teasers, enough to spot the great new characters--Stannis, Davos, Melisandre and of course Brienne the Fair! Margery looks plenty fun too. Actually, 'tis impressive how utterly cool Margery is likely to be and yet remain a lesser character in so many ways.

Oh and ain't this the truth: How the first season of GOT should have ended

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
That was somewhat funny, but then what would happen at Jofferys wedding when he is poisoned?

Last edited:

Paul

Banned
Reaction score
So looking forward to the second season. They did such a good job on the first, which amazed me (LOTR was fab, but this is really really good.)

wonder how many subscribers HBO got because of it?

long live good fantasy writing!

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
Looking forward to it big time. Like a lot of people I got into the books after the great first season, a few anyway. I think I'm actually gonna like the show more than the books. Read too dry for me.

thothguard51 said:
That was somewhat funny, but then what would happen at Jofferys wedding when he is poisoned?
Don't stop there, you can still tell them how certain epic battles end. Hell, I'd just copy paste the relevant chapters straight into the thread.

JohnnyGottaKeyboard

Who let this guy in...?
Registered
Reaction score
On the rooftoop where he climbed when the laughter
Don't stop there, you can still tell them how certain epic battles end. Hell, I'd just copy paste the relevant chapters straight into the thread.
Ouch.

I was just going to say: "Um, be careful of the spoilers. I have not read the books and it is already a major chore to stay in the dark."

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Well alrighty, the Huffpost has now gotten into the AGOT habit and will post a power ranking each Monday on who is winning in the Game of Thrones, based on each weeks episode.

Link...

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/joe-satran/game-of-thrones-power-ranking_b_1393271.html?ref=topbar

Here is how they play...

The Power Rankings
Using a complex algorithm that takes into account each player's wealth, military might and dominion over lands, along with a "bonus" factor that adjusts for unquantifiable assets that could influence events, we've surveyed the lay of the land to figure out who's winning the game of thrones going into Season 2.

And the article ends with...

As Varys the eunuch has pointed out in nearly every promo trailer for Season 2 so far, "Power is a curious thing." So there's bound to be some disagreement surrounding the rankings. If you think we misjudged the situation, say so in the comments! And look out for our next installment of the "Game of Thrones" Power Rankings on Monday, April 2, the morning after the premiere of the second season.

In reading the article, I have to wonder if the authors have read any of the books based on how they have ranked the players...

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Ouch.

I was just going to say: "Um, be careful of the spoilers. I have not read the books and it is already a major chore to stay in the dark."

Sorry about that... I will have to remember to be more careful in the future.

As to the book, I strongly recommend them if you are a fan of the HBO series. While the series is good, they do some things that are not in the book, and leave other things out. If you like Tyrion as a character, he is even better in the books. I always enjoy his chapters...

Peter Dinkage deserved his Grammy for this role...

Seraph

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for the sarcasm, I couldda phrased that better

Peter Dinkage deserved his Grammy for this role...

Fully agree. He's probably what I'm looking forward to the most.

One more day.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
I don't see Dany going for Tyrion. She's still a little shallow when it comes to potential partners, and there are plenty of hot guys fighting over her. Which is a shame, because Tyrion is awesome and Dany is awesome.

Dany is such a fangirl for the manly fellas, isn't she?

They've stated somewhere that if they get a season three, they'll split ASOS into two seasons. Though season 3 is not official, they're already scouting for locations and such, so it looks promising.

With AFFC and ADWD being what? 2000+ pages between them and occurring simultaneously (through about 2/3 of ADWD), I'd put the culmination of those two books at at LEAST 3 seasons. So, should the show last that long, Martin has 5 years to complete the next book. Should that book (Winds of Winter, I think it's called?) need 2 seasons, then he'll have 7 years total to finish the series.

We'll see. :)

I don't see HBO going that long on the series, but I can hope.

CrastersBabies

Burninator!
Registered
Reaction score
So looking forward to the second season. They did such a good job on the first, which amazed me (LOTR was fab, but this is really really good.)

wonder how many subscribers HBO got because of it?

long live good fantasy writing!

I cancelled HBO but plan to resub tomorrow. :) I wonder if they'll have any deals.

thothguard51

Registered
Reaction score
Not to sidetrack my own thread, but what I don't understand is how AGOT's can be such a huge success in a limited market, while a movie like John Carter fails. Disney obviously could take a lesson from HBO...