The W1S1 Check-in and Chill Lounge and Bar

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everybody! And best of luck, Aggy. It's a really fun story. I know that feeling :)

MysteryRiter

Murder isn't so bad...
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm curious. In our ever-so-dominant W1S1 group in the world of mags and short story markets, what are the places (that aren't too small to have been heard of) we've never gotten accepted in? There have to be some, right?
I'm just wondering. We need to attack those markets! :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
So I'm curious. In our ever-so-dominant W1S1 group in the world of mags and short story markets, what are the places (that aren't too small to have been heard of) we've never gotten accepted in? There have to be some, right?
I'm just wondering. We need to attack those markets! :)

I'm not sure about the ones we HAVEN'T been accepted in. But I know that W1S1 peeps have gotten acceptances with several of the better known mags.

Daily Science Fiction
GUD Magazine (not a W1S1 story, but it happened last year so...)
ChiZine
Strange Horizons
Every Day Fiction
Bards and Sages

I'm sure there are others. I vaguely remember someone did sell to Lightspeed last year, but I may be remembering that wrong.

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I'm not sure about the ones we HAVEN'T been accepted in. But I know that W1S1 peeps have gotten acceptances with several of the better known mags.

Daily Science Fiction
GUD Magazine (not a W1S1 story, but it happened last year so...)
ChiZine
Strange Horizons
Every Day Fiction
Bards and Sages

I'm sure there are others. I vaguely remember someone did sell to Lightspeed last year, but I may be remembering that wrong.
Apex and Abyss & Apex, too. The W1S1 blog had a list of all the markets W1S1ers had been accepted to. Not sure if the list is still there, tho.

I'm one of the new associate editors/slush readers at Allegory! I'm very excited about it and having fun reading slush already. I can feel it improving my own writing too.

Plus I have ten stories out on sub, the most ever for me. I feel very accomplished.
Yay! :hooray: Sounds like it'll be a lot of fun.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm one of the new associate editors/slush readers at Allegory! I'm very excited about it and having fun reading slush already. I can feel it improving my own writing too.

Plus I have ten stories out on sub, the most ever for me. I feel very accomplished.

Congratulations, Tori! I wasn't familiar with Allegory, will have to send them something, sometime.

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Apex and Abyss & Apex, too. The W1S1 blog had a list of all the markets W1S1ers had been accepted to. Not sure if the list is still there, tho.

I checked but it looks like they took the one from last year down. Or maybe I just couldn't find it. :p

I'm just that tired right now.

Eva Lefoy

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Website
writery.wordpress.com
Think of it like that hardcore exercise routine the personal trainer's prescribed for you. You hate it. It hurts, it burns in all sorts of horrible places, how can anybody subject themselves to this torture?

A few months later, though, you're fitter than ever before, full of energy and generally healthier. In fact, you're training for a half-marathon in two months.

Maybe. That analogy mightn't work for you at all. :Shrug:

Anyhoo, use the rage! Pummel that story into submission. Then submit it :D

How did you know I do Bodyrock.tv? <grins>

I will use that umbrage! I will!

defcon6000

Banned
Reaction score
I checked but it looks like they took the one from last year down. Or maybe I just couldn't find it. :p

I'm just that tired right now.
I don't see it, either. Boo.

If anyone's curious, here's the W1S1 blog.

And if anyone is in the mood to read, I have a piece up in the SF/F SYW board. Kudos to anyone who gets what famous short story I'm referencing. ;)

Sam K.

Registered
Reaction score
Just submitted my first W1S1 submission - and my first submission ever! Which is pretty exciting. And, strangely, it's poetry - and humorous poetry at that, both things I almost never write.

But Sunday morning, sitting having a coffee in Starbucks before work, I found myself feverishly writing on the back of my shopping list, a short poem that I'm actually quite proud of. Spent today polishing it up, and now it's off!

Can I just say - so tricky finding a market for humour poetry! Jeez.

alexshvartsman

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just submitted my first W1S1 submission - and my first submission ever! Which is pretty exciting. And, strangely, it's poetry - and humorous poetry at that, both things I almost never write.

But Sunday morning, sitting having a coffee in Starbucks before work, I found myself feverishly writing on the back of my shopping list, a short poem that I'm actually quite proud of. Spent today polishing it up, and now it's off!

Congratulations on your first-ever submission! Here's to many, many more.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score

Yay, go you, and good luck to your poem! (-:

If it's SFnal, Andromeda Spaceways may not be a bad market to try.

ElsaM

lurker extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
Well done Sam!

I've decided to put my novel on hold for the moment and focus on the short stories for a little. It's a good opportunity to work on some of the weaknesses in my writing that very quickly became apparent in the novel. So I think I'm going to up my W1S1 stories from one per month to two per month.

Nathaniel Katz

The Evil Hat
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, everyone. Sorry I haven't been around in months too long, but figured I'd check in now. How're you all doing? For my part, my productivity's been rather pathetic, but I did have the recent Bards and Sages publication (and saw familiar names in the issue!) and just sent in a rewrite request from Beneath Ceaseless Skies.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
Well done Sam!

I've decided to put my novel on hold for the moment and focus on the short stories for a little. It's a good opportunity to work on some of the weaknesses in my writing that very quickly became apparent in the novel. So I think I'm going to up my W1S1 stories from one per month to two per month.
Go, Elsa! :e2cheer:

Hey, everyone. Sorry I haven't been around in months too long, but figured I'd check in now. How're you all doing? For my part, my productivity's been rather pathetic, but I did have the recent Bards and Sages publication (and saw familiar names in the issue!) and just sent in a rewrite request from Beneath Ceaseless Skies.
Welcome back, Nat! Nice to see you :)

GCU_Dramatic Exit

Registered
Reaction score
haven't received any word back from DSF or FFO but early days

going to polish a flash to send to Washington Pastime

then there's a horror that might be a good fit for One Buck Horror

victoriajakes

let me tell you about my dogs
Registered
Reaction score
My crickets are killing me. Duotrope just reported a 109 day acceptance from Barge and I've been there for 130 days, but the max person waiting has been waiting for 142 or something and the query time is 180 days. Plus I'm 18 days at Shimmer with reporting times coming back all over the place for them. And I could get a response from Apex today or twenty days from now. I'm just starting to pull my hair out a little haha.

And I know writing is the way to stop thinking about it all, so I've written two and a half stories in the past two weeks. I guess at least I'm being productive?

Last edited:

KitCat

Registered
Reaction score
*hugs* answers will come when they come, sounds like you're on a good roll with more stories in the meantime :)

Aggy B.

Registered
Reaction score
Bah. I'm going nutty waiting for a response from Lightspeed. Sat at #3 all day yesterday and most of today. Now it's moved to #2. >_<

Going to try and write something to take my mind off it.

ETA: And now it's at #1 which means I'll have that rejection in my in-box any minute now. :p

Last edited:

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
Since I'm allowed into the Novel Challenge with novellas I can now say hi!

I signed up for W1S1 in a moment of madness to push myself into getting more shiny covers on my website. What? Isn't that the reason every writer wants to be published?

Anyway, I have five novellas in various stages of progress, all of which I plan on submitting this year. There will most likely be more as time goes by, since my ideas are spawning like rabbits right now.

Current WIP is a sci fi romance titled Tin Cat, on which I need approximately 8K more. Or however many words it takes to reach the end. There's no plan. I don't do those.

Misa Buckley

Extraordinary Romance
Registered
Reaction score
Website
misabuckley.com
And after all that, I got the wrong thread.

Um. Yeah. This is me, making the usual impression of having very little brain. Ahem.

Lizardmaker

Registered
Reaction score
Website
anneejohnson
Just popping in to say hello. Was very grumpy this morning, buried in editing and class-prep. So I look myself out for coffee and a sandwich and finished drafting a flash. I'm pretty happy with it, and it's only 15 words above the allowed maximum on the first try. I feel so much better now that I did some writing!