Critique Circle #2 [Europe Chapter] - 2011+2012 posts archive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't think much of the ringers compared to the "real" entries. They didn't tease, they didn't grab, they seemed mostly setup. Methinks aspiring writers don't have big name appeal and/or fans willing to overlook slower pacing and setup, we have to grab the reader's attention faster and squeeze harder.
Derek

Your comment might have been true, had the voters known about the entries being submitted from published authors.
I voted for both entries and had no clue who the author was. I simply thought that someone in our group had done an exceptional job.
Also, readers are subjective, as we all know. I do agree with Sophia that voice and style matter a lot.
And the grab factor...I think the BOC contestants are trying too hard to astonish us in 150 words, creating twists that fall flat. It's like sensationalism for the sake of it.
Don't take me wrong, everyone. It cannot be done, every time. This is not a first chapter contest...it is 150 words.
Please take my comments in the right spirit...or with a lot of alcohol.

Ehab.Ahmed

Drifting Silently
Registered
Reaction score
Your comment might have been true, had the voters known about the entries being submitted from published authors.
I voted for both entries and had no clue who the author was. I simply thought that someone in our group had done an exceptional job.
Also, readers are subjective, as we all know. I do agree with Sophia that voice and style matter a lot.
And the grab factor...I think the BOC contestants are trying too hard to astonish us in 150 words, creating twists that fall flat. It's like sensationalism for the sake of it.
Don't take me wrong, everyone. It cannot be done, every time. This is not a first chapter contest...it is 150 words.
Please take my comments in the right spirit...or with a lot of alcohol.

And for those of us who can't drink? :tongue
I do agree (or disagree?) that the two pieces of the famous writers did not grab my attention and I wasn't that fond of the writing, lol. It was really good, but not "exceptional" like you said, Raphee. But it all falls to personal taste I guess.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Just asking, who's up for next month's crit group? Anyone? Or is it too late to read something for Mon 7 March?

If this has already been discussed and I blinked and missed it, I refuse to apologize!

-Derek

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
I'll tentatively say I'm in. I have no idea what my life will be like on the 7th, but for now, I'm in.

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ciliegino.dallemieparti.net
Yeah, yeah, it's my turn and I'm working on it, okay? Okay? I hope to send it before the end of the week end...

<reminds herself to breath>

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Bad news

Guys,
My mac crashed last night. I thought it was the battery or something momentary but still no sign of life. I can't access my wip hence I can't submit it to the group for March!!!!
I'm desperate, can't believe my Mac is leaving me behind

*cries*

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
How suspicious! ;)

Sorry to hear that, Laura! Your poor Mac has been having its troubles lately, hasn't it?

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Everyone, back up your masterpieces NOW! This is not a drill.

-Derek

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
This problem can be avoided by remembering to never write masterpieces.

Raphee

In debt to AW
Registered
Reaction score
This problem can be avoided by remembering to never write masterpieces.

Deletes first draft of his masterpiece.

Sigh....just in time. Thanks Sophia.

Laura, my commiserations. You have, for the time being, been shunted out from the civilized world.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
The March BOC is now open!

Yes, it feels like we've only just recovered from the thrills and spills of February's BOC, but it is now March, and another Best Openings Contest is open! You have TWO WEEKS to send me the first 150 words of your epic and glorious story.

Bonus points this month are available for entries that incorporate any of the following elements:

• Extreme environments
  • Travel
  • Music

Please send your entries to me via e-mail or PM by 8:00 AM GMT on Tuesday 15th March.

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Sophia, Not sure if I’ll be able to submit a BOC.
I need the 1st five pages of my ms polished by 2Apr, working on the Horror Hound Contest and a personal concern came up throwing me off track.

I’ll definitely make time to crit the BOC submissions.

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Debbie, no worries. It's great to hear you've got a couple of writing projects moving forward like that. You can always enter one of them in the BOC at another time, if you want to, for the extra feedback.

fringle

always abroad
Registered
Reaction score
Hey critters. It's been a shitty week for us since we came back from our ski trip. Our apartment caught fire and is completely burned out along with all of our stuff. I'm at my in-laws while the Mr deals with the aftermath. NO FUN.

Debbie

conducting hijinks
Registered
Reaction score
Oh no Fringle, I'm so sorry.

I know what you're going thru. Glad you weren't there when it happened, it could have been a lot worse.

Lauretta

In the fantasy word.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hey critters. It's been a shitty week for us since we came back from our ski trip. Our apartment caught fire and is completely burned out along with all of our stuff. I'm at my in-laws while the Mr deals with the aftermath. NO FUN.

OMG, that sounds scary. Glad to hear you and your family are OK!

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Crap news, Fringle. Glad you're okay!

Lauretta, straight to bed, no supper for you tonight!

-Derek

Status
Not open for further replies.