The No News is No News Purgatory Thread, Volume 8

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
Crap! Now I know why Dream Agent drop-kicked me. I kept sending her these "nudge" emails...

Hello saw ur add and i would love the chance of sum extra cash give me a call if u steel need a person to clean want to rep my book.

Blondchen

Honey Badger don't give a shit.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gretchenmcneil.com
I meant to refer to pre-orders by customers, not book stores. I heard that if there are a lot of pre-orders (or not enough), the publisher may adjust the print run. If that's true, what's the latest time before Release that the publisher will take a look and reassess print run (either up or down)? This is probably a question for Agent and Editor, but some of you might know.

True. But to influence the print run, you'd need to influence the pre-orders by, say, 10K copies.

Also, print runs are HIGHLY overrated. A high print run does not necessarily mean your publisher will push your book harder. It means if you have a lot of unsold stock, they'll end up in the bargain bins for pennies.

Rick

"Thriller" Apprentice
Registered
Reaction score
True. But to influence the print run, you'd need to influence the pre-orders by, say, 10K copies.
Eeeek! Okay, so I won't need to worry about THAT. I'll just slave away at the promo thing as best possible, when the time comes.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Oh, yeah. *that* statement. The one that shows returns. *slits wrists*

So, yanno the Author's Big Mistake? (Never reply to a review in any way, shape or form.) I have a corollary to it: Never bitch about your agent or sub process in public.

Are any of you familiar with "@uth0r3ss"? She runs a hugely popular blog with agent contests.

She's on FB today complaining about her agent not subbing her by the date promised. Using his name. And his reasons. And an agent-mate chimed in.

Holy f***. I quit reading at that point. I don't discuss business decisions on a public forum. I am gobsmacked.

Little1

Hakuna Matata
Registered
Reaction score
WOW Lil, that just seems rly... WRONG On so many levals.

Afternoon all! :)

kellion92

A cat may not look at a king
Registered
Reaction score
I think that agent has a history of that sort of thing. Maybe he wouldn't do it if writers talked about it.

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
Interesting conundrum: If an author vents on a public forum about agent frustration, does it reflect badly on the agent who will be encouraged to change his/her behavior? Or does it make the author look like a high-maintenance whiner?

I'm not talking about fairness here: just how things appear.

After I the 2008 debacle, the first thing I looked for in an agent was sales in my genre(s). This is a business relationship. I'm a tightly wound broad and I make sure to remember that what goes online is forever.

Did I mention I'm tightly wound? :tongue

ETA: It's not gone. It's posted in a closed group. I did a quick Google search and it didn't come up. So I guess that's the best possible way to do such a thing.

Last edited:

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
Well, the writer in question IS anonymous. I guess some people know who she is, but I don't. So who better to expose the bad actions of an agent otherwise deemed respectable -- even successful? Maybe she can get the story out and it will stick to the guilty party.

Trinza

!!!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ztringali.wordpress.com
I think it reflects badly on the author. If the situation were reversed and an agent were badmouthing their client over social media, I'd similarly think badly of the agent and not of the author. I think it's about professionalism.

In other, unrelated news: Solved a problem I was having with chapter two on this book! Many huzzahs were had by all. Now, on to chapter three!

OL

Still a beach bum...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lisabrackmann.com
I have several author/friends who were greatly affected by the B&N/S&S debacle. On the order of thousands of copies. Me, B&N has done very little for me, so it would just be business as usual. :D I've gotten most of my sales through Amazon, indies and libraries.

Rick, I think you can write off the portion of your mortgage/rent that applies to your home office. As others have mentioned, also, books, trips for research, conferences.

(((Caleb))) Get some rest and deal with everything after some shut eye.

What Rick said, Caleb. Hang in there...

Jealousy -- hell, yeah. There's always another rung up that ladder where you wish you were. I'd like to be on the one where I make enough dough for a decent place to live. I'd like more critical attention. That kind of thing. But you can only spend so much time obsessing on those things. It's a huge cliché, but comparing yourself to others is a sure way to be unhappy...

Amarie

carpe libri
Registered
Reaction score
Well, the writer in question IS anonymous. I guess some people know who she is, but I don't. So who better to expose the bad actions of an agent otherwise deemed respectable -- even successful? Maybe she can get the story out and it will stick to the guilty party.

Yes, I wish more people knew what they were getting into with certain agents. When you're new, you don't even have anyone to ask. College professors get rated online now at certain sites. Maybe someone needs to start one for agents.

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
amarie - i think that is an AWESOME idea.:)

Hi guys! I repped almost everyone but wanted to pop my face in and say hello too.:D

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, Rick. You needed another trip to Vegas for research, right? *nods wisely*

Getting the artwork in for my trailer and loving it!

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
So much interesting stuff in here today!

Nothing to add to the public discussion talk that wasn't already said. I agree with Trinza.

Thanks for the tax tips, y'all! Hubs and I were just discussing that today!

Rick, you're going to do great! I can't imagine they won't be pushing your book. No worries.

Book event was lovely. I love just being in that building: the architecture and the history and all the old, old books. But being there with wine and book people is super fun. Over the moon to be doing the BL launch there. :D

JennW

Hangin' with my writing peeps
Registered
Reaction score
yay, lyndee. glad it was great!

dragon - are you doing your own trailer? can't wait to see it!

Dragonstar

a wishin' and a hopin'
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, Jenn, I'm doing my own. I have an artist doing the pictures and I wrote the script.

Smiley0501

Lurker, now activated. :-)
Registered
Reaction score
Yay Lyndee!

I think Authoress is on her 2nd agent if I remember correctly... (Don't quote me on it!) :) But interesting on her FB status/comment... I'm not sure I'd do it by name or even at all...

Thnx for the heads up, Blond on print runs and the like.

OMG RICK YOU HAVE A FACE!!!!;)

Guys guys guys I got an agent request a full :hooray: a TOP agent!!!!!! :hooray: :hooray: And lol I was just complaining I haven't heard for weeks. ;)

Last edited:

lwalker

Butterflies
Registered
Reaction score
Go, Smiley, go!!!

Thanks, all. This wasn't *my* event. But a lovely author and a great book. And it got me out of my earlier funk. So, yay! :)

Dear ice, please stay away. I miss mr. LW and am ready to have him home. Love, me.

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Rick - Be careful claiming part of your house as a home office for tax purposes. I've been told that it can complicate things if/when you ever want to sell the house. *nodnod*

kellion92

Registered
Reaction score
I think Authoress is on her 2nd agent if I remember correctly... (Don't quote me on it!) :) But interesting...

I'm on my second agent. So are many of us, including the most illustrious and best-published Purgatorians. Some of us have had more than two. I don't think it's a reflection on the writer -- it's the way the business works. There's churn, and I don't think we should assume or imply that the writer is at fault.

(I did quote you. I don't know if this is even true about Anon though, but it's true about me.)

Status
Not open for further replies.